modem... dead?!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Okay, here's the scoop. A while back I bought this cheap "MicroModem"
    from a company called Ambient. It worked fine for a while. I stopped
    using that specific machine for dial up and thus stopped using the
    modem. Now, I have to use it again but the computer cannot communicate
    with the modem. I re-installed the drivers, which did nothing. Then I
    downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (They own Ambient now). Also
    no good. The computer recommended that I change the IRQ's and such,
    but several tabs from the modem's dialogue box are missing, including
    "resources". So my question is, how can I tell if my modem is "dead"
    without having drivers that will allow my PC to communicate with it?
    Are there any genaric drivers I can use? I allready tried the ones
    that came with WinXP. They're no good.

    INFO
    OS: WinXP Profesional
    Modem: Ambient Internal PCI modem
    model number MD5628D-L-B

    Also, I am running a phone line and phone through the modem's "Phone"
    jack, so I know that there is a good physical connection.

    If anyone can shed any light onto this subject, I would be joyfull. :)

    thanx
    »Tony

    to reply by email, use IESPAMDIE
    remove "DIESPAMDIE"

    Tony, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Tony

    Wizard Guest

    Take the modem out and put it in a different slot and then see what you
    get.

    Wizard, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Tony

    bearman Guest

    Or you can reseat the modem in the same slot.

    bearman, Feb 5, 2004