modem... dead?!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Okay, here's the scoop. A while back I bought this cheap "MicroModem"
    from a company called Ambient. It worked fine for a while. I stopped
    using that specific machine for dial up and thus stopped using the
    modem. Now, I have to use it again but the computer cannot communicate
    with the modem. I re-installed the drivers, which did nothing. Then I
    downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (They own Ambient now). Also
    no good. The computer recommended that I change the IRQ's and such,
    but several tabs from the modem's dialogue box are missing, including
    "resources". So my question is, how can I tell if my modem is "dead"
    without having drivers that will allow my PC to communicate with it?
    Are there any genaric drivers I can use? I allready tried the ones
    that came with WinXP. They're no good.

    INFO
    OS: WinXP Profesional
    Modem: Ambient Internal PCI modem
    model number MD5628D-L-B

    Also, I am running a phone line and phone through the modem's "Phone"
    jack, so I know that there is a good physical connection.

    If anyone can shed any light onto this subject, I would be joyfull. :)

    thanx
    »Tony

    Tony, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Tony

    Trent© Guest

    On 4 Feb 2004 19:28:53 -0800, (Tony) wrote:

    >Okay, here's the scoop. A while back I bought this cheap "MicroModem"
    >from a company called Ambient. It worked fine for a while. I stopped
    >using that specific machine for dial up and thus stopped using the
    >modem. Now, I have to use it again but the computer cannot communicate
    >with the modem. I re-installed the drivers, which did nothing. Then I
    >downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (They own Ambient now). Also
    >no good. The computer recommended that I change the IRQ's and such,
    >but several tabs from the modem's dialogue box are missing, including
    >"resources". So my question is, how can I tell if my modem is "dead"
    >without having drivers that will allow my PC to communicate with it?
    >Are there any genaric drivers I can use? I allready tried the ones
    >that came with WinXP. They're no good.
    >
    >INFO
    > OS: WinXP Profesional
    > Modem: Ambient Internal PCI modem
    > model number MD5628D-L-B
    >
    >Also, I am running a phone line and phone through the modem's "Phone"
    >jack, so I know that there is a good physical connection.
    >
    >If anyone can shed any light onto this subject, I would be joyfull. :)

    I get the impression that there's a lot yer not telling us. What have
    you done to the machine since you stopped using it for dial-up?...both
    in software and in hardware. I get the feeling that it didn't start
    out as an xp machine.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Tony

    Night_Seer Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Okay, here's the scoop. A while back I bought this cheap "MicroModem"
    > from a company called Ambient. It worked fine for a while. I stopped
    > using that specific machine for dial up and thus stopped using the
    > modem. Now, I have to use it again but the computer cannot communicate
    > with the modem. I re-installed the drivers, which did nothing. Then I
    > downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (They own Ambient now). Also
    > no good. The computer recommended that I change the IRQ's and such,
    > but several tabs from the modem's dialogue box are missing, including
    > "resources". So my question is, how can I tell if my modem is "dead"
    > without having drivers that will allow my PC to communicate with it?
    > Are there any genaric drivers I can use? I allready tried the ones
    > that came with WinXP. They're no good.
    >
    > INFO
    > OS: WinXP Profesional
    > Modem: Ambient Internal PCI modem
    > model number MD5628D-L-B
    >
    > Also, I am running a phone line and phone through the modem's "Phone"
    > jack, so I know that there is a good physical connection.
    >
    > If anyone can shed any light onto this subject, I would be joyfull. :)
    >
    > thanx
    > »Tony

    Can you run the modem diagnostics? I would look under modems int he
    control panel, and it should be under there.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 5, 2004