    I need to enter the necessary details from the old machine onto the new
    machine first. Sounds a silly question, but it has me thinking. I will
    be on Win7 on the new machine.
    Emrys Davies, Jan 5, 2010

  2. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    > > I am about to change my PC, but I may keep the old one running

    alongside
    > > it for a while. It is on a Tiscali Broadband USB 2. When I have

    setup
    > > the new machine and I plug the modem in to it will it power away or

    will
    > > I need to enter the necessary details from the old machine onto the

    new
    > > machine first. Sounds a silly question, but it has me thinking. I

    will
    > > be on Win7 on the new machine.

    > According to these tiscali docs, some usb modems have trouble with

    Win7

    > http://snipr.com/tz40m Will my USB modem work with Windows 7? -- Our
    > initial testing has shown that the CD supplied with both the

    speedtouch
    > and sagem USB modem will not recognise the Windows 7 operating system
    > and as such will not install the drivers for the modem correctly. ...
    > not extend the support for USB modems to the Windows 7 operating

    system.
    > ... If you have a USB modem and want to upgrade to Windows 7 you can
    > contact the Tiscali Upgrade team to discuss your equipment options

    with
    > an advisor. Please call Tiscali Upgrades on 0844 875 0607* Option 1

    then
    > Option 2
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Good and thanks. I will follow that up with considerable interest.
    Emrys Davies, Jan 6, 2010

  3. Emrys Davies

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/01/2010 22:19, Emrys Davies wrote:
    > I am about to change my PC, but I may keep the old one running alongside
    > it for a while. It is on a Tiscali Broadband USB 2. When I have setup
    > the new machine and I plug the modem in to it will it power away or will
    > I need to enter the necessary details from the old machine onto the new
    > machine first. Sounds a silly question, but it has me thinking. I will
    > be on Win7 on the new machine.

    Ditch the modem and get a router.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 6, 2010
  4. Emrys Davies

    Mike Easter Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> According to these tiscali docs, some usb modems have trouble with

    Win7

    > Now I need a new computer. I have had a good look, but cannot find a
    > formum which specifically deals with new computers. Any ideas?

    Why do you feel that you need to buy a new computer? What does your
    current hardware not do well for you that you would like for it to
    better?

    I don't live in the UK, I don't consult newsgroups or webforums when I'm
    considering buying hardware.

    Normally I watch my local electronics store's ads for sales. When I buy
    a computer, it is typically a cheap one on sale. Alternatively, I watch
    for sales on the pieces and parts; case, mobo, hdd, optical, ram, and
    build my own and install my own OS. Sometimes a mobo sale package comes
    with cpu, but needs a cooler. The advantage of buying locally is that
    my favorite nearby store has an excellent return policy.

    Typically the kind of sale price that catches my eye is a complete
    computer with keyboard, mouse, and speakers but no monitor for less than
    $170 US.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2010
  5. Emrys Davies

    Tony Guest

    There's been some questions and confusion in a previous post in regards to
    why you "hard boot" (or "power drains" as chuck likes to call it) your DSL
    modem. I'm compiling a website for these NG's to cut down on the utter
    bullshit that's been posted in here by some posters (*caugh* chuck). So
    lets clear out the bullshit and get back to business. This took me 30 mins
    to compile and write. This is for those who wanted to know exactly why you
    turn your modem on and off, and why this works.

    Power cycling your modem or hard booting your modem, by completely
    unplugging it for about 30 - 40 seconds then turn it back on again, can fix
    some internet connection problems. Here is a more in-depth response to this

    issue as to why this is done.

    This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to Packet
    Loss; and this intern can cause your modem to loose sync with the
    connection. This is the most common problem that causes loss of sync with
    your connection and power cycling your modem is used to re-sync it. However
    this is a quick fix to this problem. In most cases this can be prevented by

    having the appropriate network tweaks and settings in place, which is
    something that the tech turnips at Sympatico should be informing us on.

    Supportive Research:

    http://www.dslreports.com/speed - Explains Packet Loss and other speed
    related issues, plus links to tweaks page. For those of you who notice a
    decrease in speed during certain times of the day, might want to check out
    Enemy #3 on this page.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111644,pg,2,00.asp# - Excellent
    Article.

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ - Listed in PC World Article

    After you have ruled out all possibly for connection problems i.e.. Routers,

    adware, viruses, browser cache etc..and if after you are still having Sync
    Problems with the tweaks you have done, visit section 5.3 : Sync Problems on

    the following site:

    http://www.docmirror.net/en/linux/howto/networking/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html

    --
    Steve

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jan 6, 2010
  6. Emrys Davies

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:
    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:40:59 +0000, Desk Rabbit <>wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/01/2010 22:19, Emrys Davies wrote:
    >>> I am about to change my PC, but I may keep the old one running alongside
    >>> it for a while. It is on a Tiscali Broadband USB 2. When I have setup
    >>> the new machine and I plug the modem in to it will it power away or will
    >>> I need to enter the necessary details from the old machine onto the new
    >>> machine first. Sounds a silly question, but it has me thinking. I will
    >>> be on Win7 on the new machine.
    >>>

    >> Ditch the modem and get a router.

    > How would that work exactly?

    Left out combo <g> As in 2wire gateway.
    http://2wire.com/index.php?p=479
    and I'm sure you knew that :)

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Jan 6, 2010
  7. Emrys Davies

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 06/01/2010 15:00, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:40:59 +0000, Desk Rabbit<>wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/01/2010 22:19, Emrys Davies wrote:
    >>> I am about to change my PC, but I may keep the old one running alongside
    >>> it for a while. It is on a Tiscali Broadband USB 2. When I have setup
    >>> the new machine and I plug the modem in to it will it power away or will
    >>> I need to enter the necessary details from the old machine onto the new
    >>> machine first. Sounds a silly question, but it has me thinking. I will
    >>> be on Win7 on the new machine.
    >>>

    >> Ditch the modem and get a router.

    > How would that work exactly?

    A DSL router would work just fine. Google DSL router for more information.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 6, 2010
  8. Emrys Davies

    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    > > "Mike Easter"

    > >> According to these tiscali docs, some usb modems have trouble with

    > Win7
    >
    > > Now I need a new computer. I have had a good look, but cannot find

    > > formum which specifically deals with new computers. Any ideas?

    > Why do you feel that you need to buy a new computer? What does your
    > current hardware not do well for you that you would like for it to
    > better?

    My computer is nearly ten years old and the hard drive is starting to
    groan. It will ony defrag to 15% even in Safe Mode.

    Emrys Davies, Jan 6, 2010
  9. Emrys Davies

    Mike Easter Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > My computer is nearly ten years old and the hard drive is starting to
    > groan. It will ony defrag to 15% even in Safe Mode.

    Some hdd sounds or noises are ominous.

    As an example of the kind of computer shopping I do, if someone said, go
    buy a computer today, this is what I would consider My local Fry's has
    an advertisement for a $250 computer.

    It has Win7, 2G ram, 250G hdd, DVD burner, integrated video, audio,
    ethernet, keyboard/mouse no monitor.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2010
  10. Emrys Davies

    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    > > "Mike Easter"

    > > My computer is nearly ten years old and the hard drive is starting

    > > groan. It will ony defrag to 15% even in Safe Mode.

    > Some hdd sounds or noises are ominous.
    >
    > As an example of the kind of computer shopping I do, if someone said,

    go
    > buy a computer today, this is what I would consider My local Fry's

    has
    > an advertisement for a $250 computer.
    >
    > It has Win7, 2G ram, 250G hdd, DVD burner, integrated video, audio,
    > ethernet, keyboard/mouse no monitor.

    > Mike Easter

    I viewed a PC today which I liked , but I it only had 2GB DDR3 Ram,
    which I have been told is too slow, and the monitor appeared to be too
    low- no bezel - otherwise I really like it. This is it:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/004762

    Bear in mind that I do not game, watch movies, or do anything strenuous.
    In fact I have only used 6GB in ten years.
    Emrys Davies, Jan 6, 2010
  11. Emrys Davies

    Mike Easter Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> It has Win7, 2G ram, 250G hdd, DVD burner, integrated video, audio,
    >> ethernet, keyboard/mouse no monitor.

    > I viewed a PC today which I liked , but I it only had 2GB DDR3 Ram,
    > which I have been told is too slow, and the monitor appeared to be too
    > low- no bezel - otherwise I really like it. This is it:
    > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/004762

    That link doesn't work for me from my IP. If I try to access that link,
    the site redirects me to a nonspecific page

    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@007
    4184740.1262813077@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladejfkhjleicflgceggdhhmdgml.0&pag
    e=Home

    or http://snipr.com/tzh6m

    > Bear in mind that I do not game, watch movies, or do anything

    strenuous.
    > In fact I have only used 6GB in ten years.

    Saying 2G is slow is similar to saying that you can 'overload' even a 2G
    ram computer's resources if you hang enough inefficiency and bloat on
    it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2010
  12. Emrys Davies

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 06/01/2010 16:39, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:29:33 +0000, Desk Rabbit<>wrote:

    >>> How would that work exactly?

    >> A DSL router would work just fine. Google DSL router for more information.

    > I don't need to google anything.

    Good for you.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 7, 2010
  13. Emrys Davies

    Jan B Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> schreef in bericht
    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> It has Win7, 2G ram, 250G hdd, DVD burner, integrated video, audio,
    >>> ethernet, keyboard/mouse no monitor.

    >> I viewed a PC today which I liked , but I it only had 2GB DDR3 Ram,
    >> which I have been told is too slow, and the monitor appeared to be too
    >> low- no bezel - otherwise I really like it. This is it:
    >> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/004762

    > That link doesn't work for me from my IP. If I try to access that link,
    > the site redirects me to a nonspecific page
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@007
    > 4184740.1262813077@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladejfkhjleicflgceggdhhmdgml.0&pag
    > e=Home
    >
    > or http://snipr.com/tzh6m
    >
    >> Bear in mind that I do not game, watch movies, or do anything

    > strenuous.
    >> In fact I have only used 6GB in ten years.

    > Saying 2G is slow is similar to saying that you can 'overload' even a 2G
    > ram computer's resources if you hang enough inefficiency and bloat on
    > it.

    The link works fine in the Netherlands.
    They are selling a Compaq Presario CQ5226uk-m Desktop PC with 19" Compaq
    monitor comes with the new Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium OS and offers
    you everything you need in an affordable and stylish desktop.
    --
    Jan B
    Jan B, Jan 8, 2010