modem can't dial??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jjl, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. jjl

    jjl Guest

    Win XP Home on Dell 4100

    I'm running out of ideas and need some help.

    Using my dial-up I did an overnight download. When I checked in the
    morning, I got the error message "plug phone line into modem" When I left
    the computer, download was 45% complete and just chugging along.

    Phone line is plugged directly into modem and telephone that is connected to
    second modem port is working fine. Tried disconnecting telephone, same
    problem.

    Device Manager queries modem and says all is well.

    Using Device Manager, I disabled modem and restarted PC. Notice given that
    new modem installed and everything is fine. Still getting same error
    message.

    I'm running up to date Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus. Virus scan showed
    nothing.

    Any other things I could try.?
    jjl, Aug 21, 2005

  2. jjl

    Brian Guest

    make sure Zonealarm is allowing connection and you didn't inadvertantly say
    no to the dialup connection.

    Try a different phone cord, sometimes they go bad
    Try doing a test in hyperterminal to a different local number to make sure
    all of you DUN connections are working properly

    Remove Dialup networking and reinstall, could be a corrupt file
    Brian, Aug 26, 2005

  3. jjl

    sno Guest

    Also might be lightening strike/voltage spike on telco line....
    causing input ckt on modem to fry...will show up as no dial tone...
    try changing modem...

    hope helps...have fun...sno

    --
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

    This tag line is generated by:

    SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)
    sno, Aug 26, 2005
  4. jjl