    seems like overkill for the small call volume in question.

    We have the alternative of using analog or BRI line.

    Thanks

    linguafr, Nov 24, 2008

  2. linguafr

    bod43 Guest

    On 25 Nov, 23:38, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > ~ Looking for the least expensive solution for answering analog modem
    > ~ calls and being able to collect and pass through caller-id as a radius
    > ~ attribute.
    > ~
    > ~ Looked at 1700 series platform but I can't find a definitively
    > ~ supported solution.  There is apparently an AS5350 solution, but, that
    > ~ seems like overkill for the small call volume in question.
    > ~
    > ~ We have the alternative of using analog or BRI line.
    > ~
    > ~ Thanks
    >
    > We have no analog modems that can pass CLID to the router.  (Nor can a
    > router get the incoming CLID from an external analog modem. [*])
    >
    > So you need a digital modem to get CLID.  Our lowest end solution here
    > would be a PVDM2-12DM with a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE, in whatever the minimal
    > ISR would be that could accomodate these (2811, I guess.)  Seehttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/htpvdm2.html#wp1049428
    >
    > Aaron
    >

    > [*] I suppose you could configure the analog modem to supply CLID inband
    > on its DTE link, and configure an IOS line with "no flush-at-activation",
    > so that you don't lose the CONNECT info when DCD aka DSR comes up.  Then
    > you could hack your own Tcl script to run when the line activates, which
    > could parse out the CLID from the CONNECT message and then do whatever
    > you wanted to do.  I leave the implementation details to the reader, and
    > cannot warrant that this will work.

    Just as a clarification:-

    The OP said:-
    "answering analog modem calls"

    These can be answered by the Cisco Digital Modem described
    by Aaron. Caller ID facilities are unknown to me.

    The key point is that the Cisco Digital Modem is a Modem
    and whether it is Digital or Analog is not particularly relevant.

    Pedants is us!

    Thanks by the way Aaron for your 881 diagram.
    Very interesting.

    bod43, Nov 26, 2008