    for browsing and increases the speed of downloading? My free trial of the
    local cable service is coming to an end and I have to go back to the
    affordable reality :-( Tough to get unused to speed.

    Puzzled, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Puzzled

    Harrison Guest

    There are many. They provide an interface for tweaking some of the
    hidden settings on a TCP/IP connection.
    http://www.winappslist.com/internet_utilities/mtu_utilities.htm

    Harrison, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Puzzled

    Mellowed Guest

    TCP Optimizer will help. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php Be
    sure to select the 'Dialup' button.

    I also improved my connections by getting a Processor based modem
    instead of a Winmodem.

    "Puzzled" <> wrote in message
    : Can anyone tell me if there is a good program that increases the modem
    speed
    : for browsing and increases the speed of downloading? My free trial of
    the
    : local cable service is coming to an end and I have to go back to the
    : affordable reality :-( Tough to get unused to speed.
    :
    :

    Mellowed, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Puzzled

    Puzzled Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    > TCP Optimizer will help. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php Be
    > sure to select the 'Dialup' button.
    >
    > I also improved my connections by getting a Processor based modem
    > instead of a Winmodem.

    I have a Fax modem; what is a processor based modem? thanks.

    Puzzled, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Puzzled

    ICee Guest

    Puzzled wrote:
    > "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    >> TCP Optimizer will help. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    >> Be sure to select the 'Dialup' button.
    >>
    >> I also improved my connections by getting a Processor based modem
    >> instead of a Winmodem.
    >>

    > I have a Fax modem; what is a processor based modem? thanks.

    A Fax Modem simply means the modem will work with FAX machines. A
    WinModem, or SoftModem, uses software to handle signal processing. They
    are very unreliable. A Processor based modem has a DSP, or Digital
    Signal Processor chip on the modem and data is handled in hardware (the
    chip), as opposed to in software with the WinModem.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Puzzled

    shadow self Guest

    "Puzzled" <> wrote in message

    > > I also improved my connections by getting a Processor based modem
    > > instead of a Winmodem.
    > >

    > I have a Fax modem; what is a processor based modem? thanks.

    One that costs more than $15. :)

    Winmodems are the most common these days, unfortunately. They use the
    processing power of the computer instead of doing it on-board the modem
    card. Many of them really hog system resources, and your connection will
    not be as enjoyable as it would be if you spent the money for a hardware
    modem.

    Complaining to your ISP about slow speeds when using a Winmodem is like
    complaining that your Pinto doesn't do 200kmph on the Autoban. Go out and
    spend a hundred bucks (or even less) on a hardware, processor-based modem.
    You'll thank yourself.

    shadow self, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Puzzled

    Mellowed Guest

    ICee's comment answers your question. USRobotics makes one. The 5610B.
    Kind of expensive. About $75.

    Data Products makes one. 56FW92-D. About $30 at Circuit City. The
    Data Products unit supports V.44 compression which will also improve
    your download speeds. USR does not support V.44.

    Many modem packages do not say if it is a processor modem. You must go
    to the respective Web site. Both the above products support Faxes. In
    fact, your fax connections will be very solid with either of the above
    modems.

    "Puzzled" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Mellowed" <> wrote in message