    modem ? Does't it need drivers? Have I to connect it to another
    ethernet network card, or can i connect it to my network switch ?

    , Sep 21, 2005

  2. You're out of luck with your USB modem, *but* there's no problem for you to
    use an Ethernet modem with Windows XP x64. I've got an Alcatel Speed Touch
    Home Ethernet modem under x64, and it works fine without any driver. You can
    connect it either to your regular NIC or to your network switch if you wish
    :)

    Jean-Baptiste Faure, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Here are some alternatives to invest in:

    http://www.smlink.com/objects/SLA56-V4.20.01-MV-XP64Bit.zip

    Smart link has drivers for their modems, maybe you want to consider
    purchasing one from them. The US Robotics 5810 ran perfectly out of the box.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Yes, use an ethernet modem, and you'll need an ethernet card for your x64
    box. Make sure you chose a card that has drivers. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Phydeux Guest

    Why do people insist on using USB for networking? Its meant for
    peripherals, just as ethernet wasn't designed to hook your mouse up to it.

    If you want to network, use ethernet.
    If you have a new printer, use USB.

    Phydeux, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Guest

    Je crois qu'on est tous deux français...Merci pour la première partie
    de la réponse. Mais mon systéme conflicte si j'installe une seconde
    carte réseau. Internet n'est plus partagé. Est-ce que je puis
    directement connecter mon modem usb sur uyn port libre de mon switch
    ethernet 10-100-1000? Avec un cable droit ou croisé?

    , Sep 23, 2005