    small.

    Thanks for your help

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Sep 15, 2006

  2. mmccaws2

    bugbear Guest

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to get a used digital camera and mod it for long duration
    > photography in dark areas, exposures of greater than a minute. How
    > does one find out about the camera physical and electronic circuits to
    > mod it? I know they do it for web cams but the CCD arrays are very
    > small.

    AFAIK some digi camera can do long exposures already.

    I assume this is for astronomical use?

    AFAIK the age of the modded webcam is over,
    and there are reasonably economical
    astro-cams (some with cooling etc) on the market.

    Failing this, repeated exposures, checked and stacked
    (e.g. registax) will give similar overal
    results without a soldering iron ;-)

    This was done (not by me) on a non modified Canon A510...
    http://mikebeauchamp.com/dump/windmill1comp copy.jpg

    whose longest exposure is 15 seconds.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Sep 15, 2006

  3. bugbear wrote:
    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am trying to get a used digital camera and mod it for long duration
    > > photography in dark areas, exposures of greater than a minute. How
    > > does one find out about the camera physical and electronic circuits to
    > > mod it? I know they do it for web cams but the CCD arrays are very
    > > small.

    > AFAIK some digi camera can do long exposures already.
    >
    > I assume this is for astronomical use?
    >
    > AFAIK the age of the modded webcam is over,
    > and there are reasonably economical
    > astro-cams (some with cooling etc) on the market.
    >
    > Failing this, repeated exposures, checked and stacked
    > (e.g. registax) will give similar overal
    > results without a soldering iron ;-)
    >
    > This was done (not by me) on a non modified Canon A510...
    > http://mikebeauchamp.com/dump/windmill1comp copy.jpg
    >
    > whose longest exposure is 15 seconds.
    >

    > BugBear

    Indeed, if the camera has a bulb or a time mode for the shutter, the
    exposure is virtually unlimited except by noise. Many digicams have
    time, others both bulb and time exposure.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 15, 2006
  4. mmccaws2

    Rutger Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minnesota" <> schreef in bericht

    > bugbear wrote:
    >> mmccaws2 wrote:
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to get a used digital camera and mod it for long duration
    >> > photography in dark areas, exposures of greater than a minute. How
    >> > does one find out about the camera physical and electronic circuits to
    >> > mod it? I know they do it for web cams but the CCD arrays are very
    >> > small.

    >> AFAIK some digi camera can do long exposures already.
    >>
    >> I assume this is for astronomical use?
    >>
    >> AFAIK the age of the modded webcam is over,
    >> and there are reasonably economical
    >> astro-cams (some with cooling etc) on the market.
    >>
    >> Failing this, repeated exposures, checked and stacked
    >> (e.g. registax) will give similar overal
    >> results without a soldering iron ;-)
    >>
    >> This was done (not by me) on a non modified Canon A510...
    >> http://mikebeauchamp.com/dump/windmill1comp copy.jpg
    >>
    >> whose longest exposure is 15 seconds.
    >>

    >> BugBear

    > Indeed, if the camera has a bulb or a time mode for the shutter, the
    > exposure is virtually unlimited except by noise.

    AND by battery. Do not forget that keeping the shutter open drains the
    battery. Normally i take about 400 pictures with onde battery, but an
    exposure of just 30 minutes drains the battery.

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/

    Rutger, Sep 15, 2006
  5. mmccaws2

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:54:34 +0200, "Rutger" <>
    wrote:

    >AND by battery. Do not forget that keeping the shutter open drains the
    >battery. Normally i take about 400 pictures with onde battery, but an
    >exposure of just 30 minutes drains the battery.
    >
    >Rutger

    That's where small gell-cell batteries, or battery packs of D cells
    come in handy. :)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 15, 2006
  6. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:54:34 +0200, "Rutger" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >AND by battery. Do not forget that keeping the shutter open drains the
    > >battery. Normally i take about 400 pictures with onde battery, but an
    > >exposure of just 30 minutes drains the battery.
    > >
    > >Rutger
    > >

    > That's where small gell-cell batteries, or battery packs of D cells
    > come in handy. :)
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > replace "g" with "a"

    For those of us whom can't afford the Jaguar, we go to dump and buy the
    minimally bent up Jag that we can, and start restoring that. The
    difference between the modding a used 5 or 6 MP digital camera that I
    can buy for 2 to 3 hundred dollars and the $5,000 to $20,000, which I
    would be lucky to find used at $3000 is the order of magnitude in green
    that I don't have. So I'm just trying to make do. I started
    photography Konica because I could afford a new Nikon or Canon.

    Sure, these camera's won't be able to produce the noise levels as those
    specialized astrophotography cameras, however there are so many other
    aspects of the photography skills I need to develope too.

    Anyway does anybody have a good source?

    mmccaws2, Sep 17, 2006
  7. mmccaws2

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "mmccaws2" <> writes:
    > For those of us whom can't afford the Jaguar, we go to dump and buy the
    > minimally bent up Jag that we can, and start restoring that. The
    > difference between the modding a used 5 or 6 MP digital camera that I
    > can buy for 2 to 3 hundred dollars and the $5,000 to $20,000, which I
    > would be lucky to find used at $3000 is the order of magnitude in green
    > that I don't have. So I'm just trying to make do. I started
    > photography Konica because I could afford a new Nikon or Canon.

    You can get a used Nikon D1 for a few hundred $ these days, a totally
    professinal camera that's gotten behind the times but is maybe more
    amenable to modding than newer cameras.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 17, 2006
  8. mmccaws2

    mmccaws2 Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "mmccaws2" <> writes:
    > > For those of us whom can't afford the Jaguar, we go to dump and buy the
    > > minimally bent up Jag that we can, and start restoring that. The
    > > difference between the modding a used 5 or 6 MP digital camera that I
    > > can buy for 2 to 3 hundred dollars and the $5,000 to $20,000, which I
    > > would be lucky to find used at $3000 is the order of magnitude in green
    > > that I don't have. So I'm just trying to make do. I started
    > > photography Konica because I could afford a new Nikon or Canon.

    > You can get a used Nikon D1 for a few hundred $ these days, a totally
    > professinal camera that's gotten behind the times but is maybe more
    > amenable to modding than newer cameras.

    Actually its truely amazing how fast their dropping. I still need to
    find the schematics. They still make schematics or it's too much
    bother in this throw away society.

    Mike

    mmccaws2, Sep 17, 2006
  9. mmccaws2 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to get a used digital camera and mod it for long duration
    > photography in dark areas, exposures of greater than a minute. How
    > does one find out about the camera physical and electronic circuits to
    > mod it? I know they do it for web cams but the CCD arrays are very
    > small.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Mike

    A method I forgot to mention in my earlier post will work if there is
    no movement. Take a series of seperate exposures of shorter duration.
    Then either reduce levels, or use an overlay function that normalizes
    the images automatically, and overlay them all together. The exposure
    adds linearly, the noise pixels add only as the square root of the
    number of exposures you add together, so you do get an enhancement.

    I believe there are some software packages on the market that do
    automate this operation, though I forget the names at the moment.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 17, 2006