    I am distinctly a Linux newbie, so I'm hoping I'm just being daft.

    Adam
    (full details can be read on linux.redhat.pam)
    Adam Cameron, Aug 21, 2003

    You may want to join the NZLUG mail list at www.linux.net.nz

    The traffic is fairly high - up to 100 notes / day - but that's also going
    to see you stand a chance of getting an answer. :)

    I just filter them off into an NZLUG folder on receipt and scan the subjects
    for things of interest.
    Antoine Arnauld, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >You may want to join the NZLUG mail list at www.linux.net.nz

    Cheers. Will look into it.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Adam Cameron

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:23:07 +1200, Adam Cameron wrote:

    > G'day.
    > Has anyone here attempted to and succeeded in installing mod_auth_pam on
    > RH8 running Apache2 (2.0.47)?
    >
    > I'm having 48 different sorts of trouble getting it to go. Well
    > actually just the one problem: it don't work ;-)

    I know your pain, and the fault isn't entirely Redhats IMO (they aren't
    blameless though).

    Redhat 8 and 9 come with Apache 2.0.40 plus a few backported security
    patches - have you manually upgraded to 2.0.47 or are you really still at
    2.0.40? The problem is that Apache changed it's binary module interface
    around 2.0.43.

    I can understand why Redhat didn't upgrade past 2.0.40 in RH8, but why did
    they continue to stick with that old version in RH9?!?

    Upgrading Apache on Redhat to a later version can be a frustrating
    circular web of dependencies, unless you happen to stumble on a 3rd party
    rpm that suits your system. I'm trying to get mod_jk2 (needs 2.0.43 or
    later) and mod_ssl working on the same Apache to test and document
    something for our customers.

    I suspect I'd have to bite the bullet and build from source. I got too
    frustrated with Redhat, and used it as an excuse to sneakily play with
    Gentoo 1.4. I'll come back to Redhat later after some Gentoo/Debian
    relaxation :)

    Normally I'd just use Debian, but the fact that Apache2 isn't officially
    in Woody was enough of excuse to try Gentoo 1.4.

    Sorry I wasn't much help. I suspect your choices are: 1) build Apache
    yourself 2) try to find the one true Apache rpm 3) try another distro.

    Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 21, 2003
  5. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >I know your pain, and the fault isn't entirely Redhats IMO (they aren't
    >blameless though).

    I wasn't pointing any fingers, except - perhaps - at myself for not
    knowing what I'm doing!

    >Redhat 8 and 9 come with Apache 2.0.40 plus a few backported security

    I didn't install Apache when I installed RH (ie: I *actively*
    deselected it from install), I installed it separately afterwards.

    >patches - have you manually upgraded to 2.0.47 or are you really still at
    >2.0.40?

    Actually the reason I made sure *not* to install Apache when I did the
    box install was that I've never worked out how to *upgrade* Apache.
    As you say, even following the instructions as closely as I could, it
    still had some of the 2.0.40 core there. I just assumed I had
    buggered something up. So our build doc says "deselect Apache and
    install the most recent version separately".

    >I suspect I'd have to bite the bullet and build from source. I got too

    I didn't know there was any other way, with Apache? I've never found
    an RPM install for it (haven't looked that hard, I have to admit ;-)

    >Sorry I wasn't much help. I suspect your choices are: 1) build Apache
    >yourself

    Done it

    >2) try to find the one true Apache rpm

    Surely compiling from scratch is better than doing this?

    >3) try another distro.

    Not an option, I'm afraid. This is for a ColdFusion server, and
    Macromedia only support Redhat. It'll *work* on other distros, but we
    need to have the support available (MM's answer to people running on
    other distros is "we don't support that, yer on your own).

    >Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion :)

    Not so far. But thanks for your reply, anyhow! (it was interesting
    to read your insight).

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Aug 21, 2003