    on-board sound works fine.

    Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what the
    problem is?

    John E, Nov 29, 2003

  2. John E

    Alceryes Guest

    "John E" <> wrote in message
    news:bqa4t6$209cta$-berlin.de...
    > I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
    > have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

    have
    > both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
    >
    > My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
    > recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
    > on-board sound works fine.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

    the
    > problem is?

    Why would you want to use an AC97 over a SB Live?
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Nov 29, 2003

  3. John E

    John E Guest

    "Alceryes" <> wrote in message
    > "John E" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I

    also
    > > have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

    > have
    > > both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
    > >
    > > My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP

    doesn't
    > > recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
    > > on-board sound works fine.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

    > the
    > > problem is?
    > >

    > Why would you want to use an AC97 over a SB Live?

    I want to use them simultaneously. I'd use the SB card as the primary
    device.

    John E, Nov 29, 2003
  4. John E

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a separate sound
    card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If you then purchase
    a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a DIP switch. Why
    do you want or need to run both together? Your system can only output sound to one audio
    device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your better SB card.

    CJ

    CJ, Nov 29, 2003
  5. John E

    John E Guest

    "CJ" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a

    separate sound
    > card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If

    you then purchase
    > a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a

    DIP switch.

    My machine allows me to do it via the BIOS.

    > Why
    > do you want or need to run both together?

    ....because I have MP3 mixing software that requires two separate output
    devices.

    > Your system can only output sound to one audio
    > device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your

    better SB card.

    This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now need
    two.

    John E, Nov 29, 2003
  6. John E

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:31 +0000, John E wrote:

    > "CJ" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> there is no problem. It's that on cheaper computer installations without a

    > separate sound
    >> card you just use the generally inferior but adequate on board sound. If

    > you then purchase
    >> a seperate higher quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a

    > DIP switch.
    >
    > My machine allows me to do it via the BIOS.
    >
    >> Why
    >> do you want or need to run both together?

    > ...because I have MP3 mixing software that requires two separate output
    > devices.
    >
    >> Your system can only output sound to one audio
    >> device at a time anyway so disable your on-bnoard sound and use your

    > better SB card.
    >
    > This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now need
    > two.

    Disable the AC'97 and buy another SB card.

    Ljuteplow, Nov 29, 2003
  7. John E

    IC Guest

    John E wrote:
    > I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I
    > also have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use
    > of and have both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
    >
    > My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP
    > doesn't recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card
    > the mobo on-board sound works fine.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or
    > what the problem is?

    The on-board sound uses one of the PCI slots internally and if you have the
    SB plugged into the same slot (MB hardware dependent), both cannot work.
    Try moving the SB card to another PCI slot. Un-install it first; shut down,
    move the card, then turn the system on and re-install it.

    IC, Nov 29, 2003
  8. John E

    John Holmes Guest

    CJ came up with this:
    > If you then purchase a seperate higher
    > quality sound card you turn off the on-board sound via a DIP switch.

    <snigger>

    --
    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Nov 29, 2003
  9. John E

    DaveW Guest

    XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can use
    EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Nov 29, 2003
  10. John E

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Nov 30, 2003
  11. John E

    Lane Lewis Guest

    "John E" <> wrote in message
    > I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
    > have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and

    have
    > both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
    >
    > My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
    > recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
    > on-board sound works fine.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what

    the
    > problem is?

    Go to control panel\sounds\audio, there is only one device you can select as
    default. Whether both will output or not I'm not sure but make sure both
    drivers are loaded properly to test.

    Lane

    Lane Lewis, Nov 30, 2003
  12. John E

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 +0000, DaveW wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?
    > From: "DaveW" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
    > Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 GMT
    >
    > XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can use
    > EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

    Really? Is there documentation from MS stating this?

    Ljuteplow, Nov 30, 2003
  13. John E

    John E Guest

    "Ljuteplow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 +0000, DaveW wrote:
    >
    > > Subject: Re: Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?
    > > From: "DaveW" <>
    > > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
    > > Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 GMT
    > >
    > > XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can

    use
    > > EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

    > Really? Is there documentation from MS stating this?

    I seriously doubt this too. Why would they write reputed software (Traktor)
    if the operating system doesn't support an absolutely *key* feature of it?

    John E, Nov 30, 2003
  14. John E

    John E Guest

    "Ljuteplow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:31 +0000, John E wrote:
    > >
    > > This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now

    need
    > > two.

    > Disable the AC'97 and buy another SB card.

    Have you got experience of two SB cards in the one machine?

    John E, Nov 30, 2003
  15. John E

    John E Guest

    "IC" <> wrote in message
    > John E wrote:
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or
    > > what the problem is?

    > The on-board sound uses one of the PCI slots internally and if you have

    the
    > SB plugged into the same slot (MB hardware dependent), both cannot work.
    > Try moving the SB card to another PCI slot. Un-install it first; shut

    down,
    > move the card, then turn the system on and re-install it.

    I did this and it made no difference.

    John E, Nov 30, 2003
  16. John E

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:31:10 +0000, John E wrote:

    > "Ljuteplow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 +0000, DaveW wrote:
    >>
    >> > Subject: Re: Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?
    >> > From: "DaveW" <>
    >> > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
    >> > Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 GMT
    >> >
    >> > XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can

    > use
    >> > EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

    >> Really? Is there documentation from MS stating this?

    > I seriously doubt this too. Why would they write reputed software (Traktor)
    > if the operating system doesn't support an absolutely *key* feature of it?

    I think what he was saying is that XP's built in sound only supports
    recording or playback from one source. I couldn't imagine that the
    operating system would only recognize one or the other sound devices. That
    would be a real bummer for those that want to work with digital studio
    stuff like i used to before buying a 16 track digital recorder.

    Ljuteplow, Nov 30, 2003
  17. John E

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:32:29 +0000, John E wrote:

    > "Ljuteplow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:05:31 +0000, John E wrote:
    >> >
    >> > This is the setting I had when I only required one sound device. I now

    > need
    >> > two.

    >> Disable the AC'97 and buy another SB card.

    > Have you got experience of two SB cards in the one machine?

    Yes but not in XP and not for a coupe years since I bought a 16 track
    digital recorder.

    Ljuteplow, Nov 30, 2003
  18. John E

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    John E wrote:

    > "Ljuteplow" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 +0000, DaveW wrote:
    >>

    >>>Subject: Re: Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?
    >>>From: "DaveW" <>
    >>>Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
    >>>Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:55:02 GMT
    >>>
    >>>XP is designed to use only ONE soundcard source; in your case you can

    > use
    >
    >>>EITHER the onboard or the Creative, not both.

    >>Really? Is there documentation from MS stating this?

    > I seriously doubt this too. Why would they write reputed software (Traktor)
    > if the operating system doesn't support an absolutely *key* feature of it?

    This intrigued me John, because in the past I have used two sound cards
    in the one computer, so I knew that it was possible. I wasn't sure
    though whether you would be able to use them in the way you wanted. As
    far as I know it was not possible to have them both playing the
    identical filetype - ie both playing wave or mp3, but it was possible to
    have one for midi and one for other sounds.

    The mixing side of it is not my forte so I downloaded the demo version
    of Traktor DJ Studio 2 - is that the one you have?

    In the readme file it has this to say:

    If you have a multi channel sound card, assign the master channels of
    Traktor to the outputs of your sound card connected to the amplifier.
    Connect the monitor (headphone) channels of Traktor to the headphone
    outputs of your sound card. In OSX you can use an additional stereo
    soundcard for the master output and use the in-built soundcard for
    monitoring by using Core Audio drivers. The Windows version does not
    support two separate soundcards.
    In many multi channel sound cards the headphone outputs are identical to
    outputs 1 and 2. In this case the master channels of Traktor have to be
    assigned to the outputs 3 and 4 of the sound card and these connected to
    the amplifier.

    It looks like you may be out of luck as it does specifically say that
    the Windows version does not support seperate cards, so your only
    alternative may be one of the packages they advertise on their webpage,
    or fork out what I would imagine to be big bucks for one of the
    multichannel soundcards or external USB sound systems.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 30, 2003
  19. John E

    John E Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    > It looks like you may be out of luck as it does specifically say that
    > the Windows version does not support seperate cards, so your only
    > alternative may be one of the packages they advertise on their webpage,
    > or fork out what I would imagine to be big bucks for one of the
    > multichannel soundcards or external USB sound systems.

    Ahhh.... thanks for that. Oh well I'll look into a multichannel sound card.

    John E, Nov 30, 2003
  20. John E

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:53:56 -0000, "John E" <> wrote:

    >I have a motherboard (LX BN790E) with on-board sound (Avance AC97). I also
    >have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI card. I would like to make use of and have
    >both sound devices installed on my machine simultaneously.
    >
    >My problem is that whenever my SB PCI card is installed Windows XP doesn't
    >recognise my on-board sound, yet when I remove my SB PCI card the mobo
    >on-board sound works fine.
    >
    >Does anyone know how I can get both working at the same time and/or what the
    >problem is?

    You must turn off the onboard sound in setup when you use a PCI sound card.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Dec 1, 2003