    the mouse has worked OK and as yet there doesn't seem to be any problem with
    the KBD

    Thoughts anyone?

    ian field, Mar 27, 2007

  2. ian field

    Robb Guest

    ian field wrote:
    >Recently the PS2 scroll mouse LED has remained lit after shutting the PC
    >down and more recently has occasionally remained inactive after the PC has
    >been started, as time went on it started going inoperative while I was using
    >the PC.
    >
    >The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse sockets
    >can be used interchangeably, so I tried swapping them over. Since doing so
    >the mouse has worked OK and as yet there doesn't seem to be any problem with
    >the KBD
    >
    >Thoughts anyone?

    1.) Fire up the barbeque and pass out free beer & steaks.

    2.) Fire up the barbeque and pass out free dope & steaks (Optional?).

    3.) Eat. Drink. Smoke. Be happy.

    3.) Put out the barbeque before you pass out.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Mar 27, 2007

  3. ian field

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message

    > The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse sockets
    > can be used interchangeably,

    If he's talking about PS2 ports, don't EVER go back to that guy. He's got
    his head so far up his ass he's looking at your mobo upside down.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 28, 2007
  4. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:37:31 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse sockets
    >> can be used interchangeably,

    > If he's talking about PS2 ports, don't EVER go back to that guy. He's got
    > his head so far up his ass he's looking at your mobo upside down.

    Yes but what about the rest of the OP's post where he said it worked?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Mar 28, 2007
  5. ian field

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:37:31 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse
    >>> sockets
    >>> can be used interchangeably,

    >> If he's talking about PS2 ports, don't EVER go back to that guy. He's got
    >> his head so far up his ass he's looking at your mobo upside down.

    > Yes but what about the rest of the OP's post where he said it worked?

    He had it upside down <g>

    Actually, if it was USB ports, they're the same. Which is why I limited my
    reply to PS2 ports.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 28, 2007
  6. ian field wrote:

    > Recently the PS2 scroll mouse LED has remained lit after shutting the PC
    > down and more recently has occasionally remained inactive after the PC has
    > been started, as time went on it started going inoperative while I was
    > using the PC.
    >
    > The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse sockets
    > can be used interchangeably, so I tried swapping them over. Since doing so
    > the mouse has worked OK and as yet there doesn't seem to be any problem
    > with the KBD
    >
    > Thoughts anyone?

    You explicitely say PS2 in your first line. Most desktop pcs have
    non-interchangeable ps2 connectors - swapping keyboard and mouse ports
    won't work. You are just lucky.
    In case the ps2 ports quit, you may as well use usb for both, but turn
    on "usb keyboard support" in bios.

    Walter Mautner, Mar 28, 2007
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Robb" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >>Recently the PS2 scroll mouse LED has remained lit after shutting the PC
    >>down and more recently has occasionally remained inactive after the PC has
    >>been started, as time went on it started going inoperative while I was
    >>using
    >>the PC.
    >>
    >>The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse sockets
    >>can be used interchangeably, so I tried swapping them over. Since doing so
    >>the mouse has worked OK and as yet there doesn't seem to be any problem
    >>with
    >>the KBD
    >>
    >>Thoughts anyone?

    > 1.) Fire up the barbeque and pass out free beer & steaks.

    Can't - no garden I live in a flat, besides I'm too stingy to hand out free
    beer!

    > 2.) Fire up the barbeque and pass out free dope & steaks (Optional?).

    Can't do that either - blood test next week!

    ian field, Mar 28, 2007
  8. ian field

    ian field Guest

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:37:31 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ian field" <> wrote in message

    >>> If he's talking about PS2 ports, don't EVER go back to that guy. He's
    >>> got
    >>> his head so far up his ass he's looking at your mobo upside down.

    >> Yes but what about the rest of the OP's post where he said it worked?
    >>

    > He had it upside down <g>
    >
    > Actually, if it was USB ports, they're the same. Which is why I limited my
    > reply to PS2 ports.

    Both KBD & mouse are PS2, swapping the plugs seems to have cured the flaky
    mouse operation and if its introduced any problem to the KBD I haven't found
    it yet.

    Since the LED on the bottom of the mouse sometimes remained lit when the PC
    was shut down I'm guessing its a MOBO problem, explorer and acrobat reader
    keep crashing increasingly often - more than might be expected with a Win-ME
    machine so its likely my savings are about to take a hit!

    ian field, Mar 28, 2007
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >
    >> Recently the PS2 scroll mouse LED has remained lit after shutting the PC
    >> down and more recently has occasionally remained inactive after the PC
    >> has
    >> been started, as time went on it started going inoperative while I was
    >> using the PC.
    >>
    >> The bloke I buy PC stuff from told me onetime that the KBD & mouse
    >> sockets
    >> can be used interchangeably, so I tried swapping them over. Since doing
    >> so
    >> the mouse has worked OK and as yet there doesn't seem to be any problem
    >> with the KBD
    >>
    >> Thoughts anyone?

    > You explicitely say PS2 in your first line. Most desktop pcs have
    > non-interchangeable ps2 connectors - swapping keyboard and mouse ports
    > won't work. You are just lucky.
    > In case the ps2 ports quit, you may as well use usb for both, but turn
    > on "usb keyboard support" in bios.
    > --

    Well I seem to have got away with it, I have a USB mouse if its needed but
    some programs I use regularly are crashing more often than you'd expect with
    a Win-ME machine, so I'm thinking the MOBO might be in the early stages of
    death throes!

    ian field, Mar 28, 2007
  10. ian field

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes but what about the rest of the OP's post where he said it worked?
    >>>

    >> He had it upside down <g>
    >>
    >> Actually, if it was USB ports, they're the same. Which is why I limited
    >> my reply to PS2 ports.

    > Both KBD & mouse are PS2, swapping the plugs seems to have cured the flaky
    > mouse operation

    PS2 keyboard and mouse ports are not interchangable on any standard desktop
    PC I've seen. But I've not seen 'em all - I really doubt anyone could <g>. I
    have seen laptops where its single PS2 port could be used with either a
    mouse or a keyboard though, so I'd have to say it's not impossible.

    > and if its introduced any problem to the KBD I haven't found it yet.
    >
    > Since the LED on the bottom of the mouse sometimes remained lit when the
    > PC was shut down I'm guessing its a MOBO problem,

    It's not a PROBLEM. It's supposed to work that way on boards that have
    "instant on" features. There is always power active in a PC with ATX power
    supplies - that's how the motherboard gets a signal from the "on" switch. So
    many motherboard manufacturers incorporated that idea into the mouse or
    keyboard (or both) so that with a proper keystroke or mouse button, the PC
    would power on.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 28, 2007
  11. ian field

    ian field Guest

    >> Since the LED on the bottom of the mouse sometimes remained lit when the
    >> PC was shut down I'm guessing its a MOBO problem,

    > It's not a PROBLEM. It's supposed to work that way on boards that have
    > "instant on" features. There is always power active in a PC with ATX power
    > supplies - that's how the motherboard gets a signal from the "on" switch.
    > So many motherboard manufacturers incorporated that idea into the mouse or
    > keyboard (or both) so that with a proper keystroke or mouse button, the PC
    > would power on.

    You don't have to explain to me how an ATX PSU works - I used to repair them
    for a living.

    It occurred to me that it might be possible to start the PC by some action
    on the mouse since the LED was lit with the PC shut down
    , but I clicked the buttons and spun the scroll wheel (which also clicks if
    pressed) but nothing happened, my suspicions were aroused by the fact the
    underneath LED went out when I started the PC with the power button so I had
    to shut it down and re-start it again before the mouse worked - then the
    mouse packed up after a few minutes work, which was when I decided to try
    swapping the 2 plugs over.

    As I said in other posts, there are other signs of flaky operation like
    Explorer and Acrobat reader keep crashing. Another program that gives
    trouble is Ultimate Zip, the first few times I open a file it works fine
    then any attempt to act on the contents results in a freeze up and the PC
    has to be rebooted *AGAIN*!

    It definitely looks like a failing MOBO to me, its only used for sorting &
    storing pdf data sheets so I needn't spend a fortune on a high spec
    replacement.

    ian field, Mar 28, 2007
  12. ian field wrote:

    > Well I seem to have got away with it, I have a USB mouse if its needed but
    > some programs I use regularly are crashing more often than you'd expect
    > with a Win-ME machine, so I'm thinking the MOBO might be in the early
    > stages of death throes!

    Well, with ME you need luck to find usb drivers, and ME is known to
    sacrifice stability for features, overburdening the (yet hidden) DOS 16bit
    grounding. A machine which runs ME, most certainly will run w2k as well - a
    much more stable OS (but not for gamers).
    You may take a look at the capacitors around your cpu, for leaking
    electrolyte or bulged caps. Or check your harddrive with a good s.m.a.r.t
    monitoring tool, especially for reallocated_sector_count and other pre-fail
    attributes. After confirming your drive is ok, run a "sfc /scannow".

    Walter Mautner, Mar 29, 2007
  13. ian field

    > ian field wrote:
    >
    > ..
    >> Well I seem to have got away with it, I have a USB mouse if its needed
    >> but
    >> some programs I use regularly are crashing more often than you'd expect
    >> with a Win-ME machine, so I'm thinking the MOBO might be in the early
    >> stages of death throes!

    > Well, with ME you need luck to find usb drivers, and ME is known to
    > sacrifice stability for features, overburdening the (yet hidden) DOS 16bit
    > grounding. A machine which runs ME, most certainly will run w2k as well -
    > much more stable OS (but not for gamers).
    > You may take a look at the capacitors around your cpu, for leaking
    > electrolyte or bulged caps. Or check your harddrive with a good s.m.a.r.t
    > monitoring tool, especially for reallocated_sector_count and other
    > pre-fail
    > attributes. After confirming your drive is ok, run a "sfc /scannow".

    Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps could
    certainly explain flaky operation!

    There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
    problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
    running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup to
    catch any new ones that might develop.

    ian field, Mar 29, 2007
  14. ian field wrote:

    > Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps could
    > certainly explain flaky operation!
    >
    > There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
    > problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
    > running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup
    > to catch any new ones that might develop.

    You should notice that visibility of bad sectors means your harddrive has
    already used up all hidden "spare sectors" and is about to quit any other
    day. Also remember, bad sectors/toggled bits will be discovered only by
    random, from read timeouts - and then the data there is almost certain
    unrecoverable. A reliable detection of bad spots is only available on write
    attempts, where the drive electronics can remap the failed sector and copy
    the pending data elsewhere.
    In cleartext this means, you may already have b0rken executables or dlls due
    to harddrive failure, making your pc unstable.

    Walter Mautner, Mar 29, 2007
  15. ian field

    > ian field wrote:

    >> Thanks - I'd forgotten about the capacitor possibility, failing caps
    >> could
    >> certainly explain flaky operation!
    >>
    >> There are some bad sectors close to the start of C:\ which used to cause
    >> problems during boot and scandisk couldn't cope with, but the PC had been
    >> running OK since NDD marked them out and I continue to run NDD at startup
    >> to catch any new ones that might develop.

    > You should notice that visibility of bad sectors means your harddrive has
    > already used up all hidden "spare sectors" and is about to quit any other
    > day. Also remember, bad sectors/toggled bits will be discovered only by
    > random, from read timeouts - and then the data there is almost certain
    > unrecoverable. A reliable detection of bad spots is only available on
    > write
    > attempts, where the drive electronics can remap the failed sector and copy
    > the pending data elsewhere.
    > In cleartext this means, you may already have b0rken executables or dlls
    > due
    > to harddrive failure, making your pc unstable.

    The drive came from a refurb house (which I've since stopped using) so the
    flaws don't surprise me, and I've had cause to return drives to them before.
    Although NDD is one of the few Norton utilities that still actually works,
    and it seemed to keep things in working order so far.

    By a curious coincidence the mainboard came from that very refurb house -
    they wanted a quantity of PCs assembled and I opted to keep one of the
    machines instead of cash for doing the job, some of the components they
    ordered were dud straight out of the box, and so far as I've heard they've
    had a small number of mainboards die on them as well, although they have
    hundreds of PCs lined up on racks soak testing drives, so heat buildup
    becomes a problem and some board failures are inevitable.

    ian field, Mar 29, 2007