MoBo info/manual urgently required

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    (they will need it back by Wednesday).

    The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    have a manual for it.

    When I try to plug in extra ram, the damn thing won't even post.

    When I try to plug in another CPU it won't post, either.

    I expect I will need to play with jumpers here to get the thing to accept
    the new hardware; also possibly it will only accept Ram in matched pairs;
    I just don't know.

    If anybody has a clue about this gear, or could even scan and email me
    the relevant portions of the manual, I would be very grateful indeed for
    any useful info.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 20, 2003

  2. In article <OusSa.86603$>,
    says...
    > try here.
    > http://www.ecs.com.tw
    > I had a quick look, but I can't find that particular model.
    >
    > hth.
    > Pete

    Thanks, yes, been there ... they still have the bios files for download,
    but not the manual. The only ECS site that still lists the manual for the
    SI 55P is in Kiev of all places but that particular page is down <sigh>.

    B.t.w. I managed to get the RAM working, it must've been seated badly the
    first time round or maybe I put them in a sequence this time that it
    likes better.

    Still a big question mark hanging over the CPU, though.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 20, 2003

  3. On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:33:19 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > have a manual for it.

    IIRC Advantage computers were bringing those in. (Someone correct me if
    I'm wrong). They should have manuals for legacy boards kicking around.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Peter Huebner

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, Peter
    Huebner wrote...

    > I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    > (they will need it back by Wednesday).
    >
    > The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > have a manual for it.
    >
    > When I try to plug in extra ram, the damn thing won't even post.
    >
    > When I try to plug in another CPU it won't post, either.
    >
    > I expect I will need to play with jumpers here to get the thing to accept
    > the new hardware; also possibly it will only accept Ram in matched pairs;
    > I just don't know.
    >
    > If anybody has a clue about this gear, or could even scan and email me
    > the relevant portions of the manual, I would be very grateful indeed for
    > any useful info.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    The following has data for rev1.1 - may be similar
    http://www.ccs-a.com/th99/m/txt/33519.txt
    colinco, Jul 20, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > The following has data for rev1.1 - may be similar
    > http://www.ccs-a.com/th99/m/txt/33519.txt

    Thank you, Sir!
    <bloody brilliant>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Peter Huebner

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:33:19 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >

    > > The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > > have a manual for it.

    > IIRC Advantage computers were bringing those in. (Someone correct me if
    > I'm wrong). They should have manuals for legacy boards kicking around.

    How far back are we talking? I mean, PC Direct used them as well, but
    that's a long time ago
    Mainlander, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Peter Huebner <> writes:
    >I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    >(they will need it back by Wednesday).

    >The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    >have a manual for it.

    Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Jul 22, 2003
  8. Peter Huebner

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bfj35i$f8fch$-berlin.de>, pgut001
    @cs.auckland.ac.nz says...
    > Peter Huebner <> writes:
    > >I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    > >(they will need it back by Wednesday).

    > >The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > >have a manual for it.

    > Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    > there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.

    PCChips merged with ECS, it doesn't necessarily mean that the board bends
    like a piece of paper and uses fake cache chips...
    Mainlander, Jul 22, 2003
  9. Peter Huebner

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bfj35i$f8fch$-berlin.de>, pgut001
    @cs.auckland.ac.nz says...
    > Peter Huebner <> writes:
    > >I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    > >(they will need it back by Wednesday).

    > >The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > >have a manual for it.

    > Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    > there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.

    AFAIK PCChips and ECS merged more recently, since this is a fairly old
    model board.
    Mainlander, Jul 22, 2003
  10. In article <bfj35i$f8fch$-berlin.de>, pgut001
    @cs.auckland.ac.nz says...
    > Peter Huebner <> writes:
    > >I have been called upon to upgrade the computer of our service station
    > >(they will need it back by Wednesday).

    > >The Motherboard is an ECS (Elitegroup) SI 55P AI0 rev.1.0A and I do not
    > >have a manual for it.

    > Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    > there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.
    >
    > Peter.

    I think I remember. That was the one Edge in Mt. Eden Road was caught up
    in, wasn't it?

    Anyway, I got it sorted. Did a burn in: fine. Took the box back, plugged
    it in, everything went swell and 15 minutes later the high voltage
    circuitry in the monitor demised while they were downloading their
    email. Zap zap bzzzzzzt. [pixel salad][steadily diminishing picture]

    Arrgh indeed :-\ couldn't have picked a more embarrassing time for it.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 22, 2003
  11. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:20:35 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:

    > Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    > there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.

    For those who don't want to google....

    PC Chips were the main player in the recurring instanecs of fake cache ram
    which crop up from time to time and have been known to pirate BIOSes.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 22, 2003
  12. Peter Huebner

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:20:35 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
    >
    > > Arrghh, that's a PCChips motherboard. Do a google for "PCChips lottery",
    > > there's a discussion forum and an FAQ/techinfo page.

    > For those who don't want to google....
    >
    > PC Chips were the main player in the recurring instanecs of fake cache ram
    > which crop up from time to time and have been known to pirate BIOSes.

    PCChips bought out Elitegroup in 1998, the specs for your motherboard
    indicate it was probably manufactured earlier than this.
    Mainlander, Jul 22, 2003