    Windows. Now, I don't think it is Windows and is more likely to be
    hardware. Anyone any idea?

    Paul
    Paul C, May 26, 2004

  2. Paul C

    AG Guest

    "Paul C" <paul@nospam> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I'm getting a lot of slow downs and lock ups in the last 2 weeks. When I
    > check event log, there is a constant stream of the following two errors &
    > warnings:
    >
    > - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    > operation.
    >
    > - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout
    > period.
    >
    > Now, this appears to be a problem with either the motherboard, HD or
    > Windows. Now, I don't think it is Windows and is more likely to be
    > hardware. Anyone any idea?
    >
    > Paul

    I agree it sounds like a drive but cables are cheaper. Try switching the HD
    cable out.
    AG
    AG, May 27, 2004

  3. Paul C

    Paul C Guest

    > Sounds like a bad drive.
    > Run the diagnostic software that is provided by the drive's manufacturer
    > and/or run "smartctl -a /dev/hda"

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/smartmontools/smartmontools-5.31-1.win32.zip?download

    Cheers. Run the Maxtor software and finds no errors what so ever. Am doing
    an upgrade in a few weeks and will change the cables out then. Both my
    secondary channels on both IDE channels have been knocked into PIO mode, so
    have got them changed back to DMA modes. Windows has been playing up
    recently, so hopefully will cure things when I do that. Otherwise the mobo
    will have to be repaired ! :( 4 to 6 weeks turn around as they won't
    replace.

    Paul
    Paul C, May 29, 2004