MOBO for new system

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, May 31, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Its about that time when I am thinking of building a new system my
    current one is about three and a half years old. Next one will be my
    third build. I am just wondering what Motherboards you rate at the
    moment?

    I've not decided whether I am going for an AMD or Intel chip, it will
    probably be AMD again (a dual core one) as I think they are still
    better value and offer good OC potential.

    As far as MOBOs go though I think I will probably need something with
    4 SATA connections and a good number of USB2 connections as well, at
    least six of them and at least two firewire sockets as well.

    Apart from that, any recommendation for MOBOs that offer good value,
    stability and compatibility would be appreciated as well as any tips
    on what to look for.

    Cheers

    John

    Current System:

    Abit NF7-S
    Sapphire Ati 9600
    AMD Barton 2500
    1024 pc3200 memory
    Windows XP Pro (sp2) 32 bit.

    John, May 31, 2007

  2. John

    nsag Guest

    I am a long term AMD fan.
    I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
    large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
    If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
    consider AMD.
    Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
    outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
    MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
    the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
    fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
    performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
    issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
    mobo.
    Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
    be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
    raise performance to previously unseen levels.

    nsag, May 31, 2007

  3. John

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <_bI7i.9735$>, nsag
    <> writes
    >I am a long term AMD fan.
    >I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
    >large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
    >If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
    >consider AMD.
    >Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
    >outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
    >MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
    >the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
    >fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
    >performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
    >issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
    >mobo.

    >Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
    >be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
    >raise performance to previously unseen levels.

    Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
    and heat:)
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 1, 2007
  4. John

    Wizard Guest

    I use AMD processors and Abit boards. I have for many years now and have
    never had either fail while always having a super fast and reliable
    machine to work with.

    Wizard, Jun 2, 2007
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:24:17 +0100, tony sayer <>
    wrote:

    >In article <_bI7i.9735$>, nsag
    ><> writes
    >>I am a long term AMD fan.
    >>I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
    >>large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
    >>If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
    >>consider AMD.
    >>Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
    >>outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
    >>MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
    >>the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
    >>fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
    >>performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
    >>issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
    >>mobo.

    >>Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
    >>be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
    >>raise performance to previously unseen levels.
    >>

    >Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
    >and heat:)

    Fraid I'm not as much of a big gamer anymore. Mainly use for internet,
    music software like Cubase, office applications, a bit of Flight Sim,
    DV Capture and editing and photo storage.

    I wouldn't need the absolute best cpu or mobo that money can buy. What
    I'm mainly looking for is something decent with good value and
    compatibility. I'd probably only spend around £100 ($200 in USD) + or
    - 20% for a CPU and maybe £80 ($160 in USD) + or - 25% on a Mobo.

    John

    John, Jun 2, 2007
  6. John

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, John
    <> writes
    >On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:24:17 +0100, tony sayer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <_bI7i.9735$>, nsag
    >><> writes
    >>>I am a long term AMD fan.
    >>>I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
    >>>large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
    >>>If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
    >>>consider AMD.
    >>>Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
    >>>outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
    >>>MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
    >>>the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
    >>>fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
    >>>performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
    >>>issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
    >>>mobo.

    >>>Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
    >>>be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
    >>>raise performance to previously unseen levels.
    >>>

    >>Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
    >>and heat:)

    >Fraid I'm not as much of a big gamer anymore. Mainly use for internet,
    >music software like Cubase, office applications, a bit of Flight Sim,
    >DV Capture and editing and photo storage.
    >
    >I wouldn't need the absolute best cpu or mobo that money can buy. What
    >I'm mainly looking for is something decent with good value and
    >compatibility. I'd probably only spend around £100 ($200 in USD) + or
    >- 20% for a CPU and maybe £80 ($160 in USD) + or - 25% on a Mobo.
    >
    >John

    Used several makes in the past FWIW but Aesus for MOBO's AMD chips and
    Seagate hard drives have served us well:)

    Don't skimp on the Power supply .. a more expensive one will last longer
    and run quieter which is rather pleasant as is a low noise cooling fan:)
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 3, 2007