    Chipset VIA P4X266/A

    Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.

    TIA

    BIGEYE, Dec 15, 2005

  2. BIGEYE wrote:
    > Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
    > plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
    > sides of the heatsink.
    > One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
    > unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
    > The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
    > down the centre of the heatsink.
    > Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
    > suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
    > heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
    > CPU - P4 1800 MHz
    > Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
    > Chipset VIA P4X266/A

    Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but sounds like the motherboard's
    mounting is broken. To fix it, you replace the motherboard (or place a
    twenty pound weight on the fan). No big deal, ECS motherboards are
    cheap. Note that I'm not belittling them, they're just not expensive.
    You could easily spend more trying to fix the problem than replacing the
    mobo.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 15, 2005

  3. BIGEYE

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    BIGEYE wrote:
    > Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on two
    > plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
    > sides of the heatsink.
    > One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
    > unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
    > The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring clip
    > down the centre of the heatsink.
    > Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
    > suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of the
    > heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
    > CPU - P4 1800 MHz
    > Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
    > Chipset VIA P4X266/A
    >
    > Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
    >
    > TIA

    The normal retention bracket and heatsink/fan assembly are as shown on
    http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/29859001.pdf

    You should be able to replace either the heatsink/fan assembly or the
    retention bracket fairly easily.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 15, 2005
  4. BIGEYE

    J-McC Guest

    Just goes to show how Fantastic Plastic can be. I suspect it used so
    nothing will last the sands of time.
    In seriousness though you should be able to get a replacement fan
    assembly. Just ask at any reasonable computer supplier.
    J Mcc

    J-McC, Dec 15, 2005
  5. BIGEYE

    Book End Guest

    "J-McC" <> wrote in message
    > Just goes to show how Fantastic Plastic can be. I suspect it used so
    > nothing will last the sands of time.
    > In seriousness though you should be able to get a replacement fan
    > assembly. Just ask at any reasonable computer supplier.
    > J Mcc
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0000, "BIGEYE" <address@is[invalid].ok>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Work colleague has a problem with his mobo. The CPU cooling fan sits on
    >>two
    >>plastic mountings and is secured by two spring clips that fit along the
    >>sides of the heatsink.
    >>One of the plastic mountings has broken, as a result the fan is now
    >>unsecured, and the CPU is overheating.
    >>The CPU ZIF socket has clips on it to suit cooling fans with one spring
    >>clip
    >>down the centre of the heatsink.
    >>Can anyone advise where I can get replacement plastic mountings, or a
    >>suitable alternative cooling fan with the spring clip down the centre of
    >>the
    >>heatsink. Prefer to get from Aria or ebuyer.
    >>CPU - P4 1800 MHz
    >>Mobo - Elitegroup ( ECS) P4X266-8233
    >>Chipset VIA P4X266/A
    >>
    >>Sorry, no details on existing cooling fan.
    >>
    >>TIA

    Don't knock the plastic. It'll still be there long after the metal around it
    has rusted away to nothing.

    Book End, Dec 15, 2005
  6. BIGEYE

    Meercat Guest

    had a similar prob years ago i just drilled 2 small holes in the MB (if
    theres room) & used a plastic ratchet tie worked for me.

    Meercat

    Meercat, Dec 15, 2005
  7. BIGEYE

    Brian Day Guest

    "Meercat" <> wrote in message
    > had a similar prob years ago i just drilled 2 small holes in the MB (if
    > theres room) & used a plastic ratchet tie worked for me.

    I have previously made up custom brackets, and drilled thru the mobo. fixing
    with
    m4 bolts & nuts. Just be careful where you drill if you follow this route.

    Brian Day

    Brian Day, Dec 16, 2005