    would be aprechiated.

    TIA
    BT

    BT, Jul 8, 2004

  2. BT wrote:
    > am thinking of upgrading my MOBO & Chipset, currently am running a MSI 645-e
    > with a P4 2Ghz, RAM is currently at 512Mb (DDR PC2100).
    >
    > For a machine that will be primaly used for gaming, net etc what would you
    > recommend ? are there any combinations that should be avoided at all costs ?
    > Intel or AMD ?

    Intel 440BX. Stable, can't fault it, but sadly not for modern CPUs.

    Been using an i875P chipset for nearly a year now and had no problems
    with it. I'd expect the cheaper i865 to be as stable, minus a couple of
    insignificant performance features.

    I have not heard much about the new Intel chipsets containing PCI
    Express, but I'd avoid these for now.

    > Will be hanging an ATI 9800 Pro, 80 Gig HD & CD writer off it, am also
    > thinking of bumping the RAM up to 1G as well so any recommendation on that
    > would be aprechiated.

    The i865 and i875 can use dual channel DDR memory, so you'd want pairs
    of RAM to permit that and boost performance.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 9, 2004

  3. BT

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > BT wrote:
    >> am thinking of upgrading my MOBO & Chipset, currently am running a
    >> MSI 645-e with a P4 2Ghz, RAM is currently at 512Mb (DDR PC2100).
    >>
    >> For a machine that will be primaly used for gaming, net etc what
    >> would you recommend ? are there any combinations that should be
    >> avoided at all costs ? Intel or AMD ?

    > Intel 440BX. Stable, can't fault it, but sadly not for modern CPUs.

    Gotta agree on the 440BX, I have three BX boards running (plus one spare)
    and will be using them for as long as they remain practical
    performance-wise. (All have Coppermine Celeron's at 900Mhz in them at
    present and are used for sundry tasks about the place. My main machine is a
    bit gruntier as I like to do a bit of gaming). I tried an 810 and an 810e
    once. <shudder> Awful chipsets, 20% performance drop at least over the BX
    with the same CPU.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2004