MOBO and RAID blues

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Singers, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Between saving the world and having a spot of tea John said

    > Well I installed a new motherboard and it's very nice but wont
    > recognise my 2 drive RAID striping array. The data is there. I can
    > view the files with a software RAID but it takes about an hour to
    > read. I know RAID reconsructor can pull the arrays onto another single
    > drive and combine them but I don't have th $99 US to buy it.

    Why not put the old MOBO back in and copy the data off to something like a
    USB HDD and rebuild the array on the new MOBO?

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Robert Singers, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Robert Singers

    Mercury Guest

    You should never have issue with reading data off a RAID 1 array because
    each disc is identical - don't expect a different RAID controller to see it
    as a RAID 1 array though 'cos each vendor has different standards... Plug
    one drive in by itself, save the data then read the manual on how / if you
    can do an online build of a new array using the new controller. Check driver
    and BIOS versions.

    RAID 0 - well, bad news, Robert has already answered that. You should never
    store data you can't afford to have trashed for you on a RAID 0 array,
    unless you are satisfied with you level of backups ...

    John, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Robert Singers

    John Guest

    I replaced the MOBO 'cos it was dead.
    Software is my only option.

    John, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Robert Singers

    Jasen Betts Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to nz.tech.]
    On 2005-10-27, John <no.one@home> wrote:

    > Well I installed a new motherboard and it's very nice but wont recognise my
    > 2 drive RAID striping array. The data is there. I can view the files with a
    > software RAID but it takes about an hour to read. I know RAID reconsructor
    > can pull the arrays onto another single drive and combine them but I don't
    > have th $99 US to buy it.

    Linux is free... (to download) or $5 for a CD..
    it may or may not be capable of reading your raid (and copying the files to
    a new disk)

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Oct 28, 2005