Mobo advice for Athlon XP2800+

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    A friend is having trouble with his computer. He was given a
    motherboard ( ASUS A7N8X-X ) without a CD of drivers. He wants to
    replace the mobo with something similar, compatible with the XP2800
    CPU. He doesn't need anything fancy, just for Google and Office.

    He says:

    Its an ASUS A7N8X-X which is basically running very well. However,
    I can't get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it. I bought
    a soundcard from Tricky Dickie, but it has the wrong chipset and won't
    do a thing. There is quite a discussion on the net about getting the
    sound to work on this MB., but the web site that everyone favours for
    a download is down at he moment and so no dice there. Now I am up
    against it again. THe MB will not run Ethernet connections, vis my
    new ADSL Modem from Telecom, without a driver. So I have to run it on
    USB, which won't let me run my Belkin Wireless Router?? I haven't
    tried to look for a driver on the net. I just feel that maybe its
    time to start again with a new Mother board.

    Any suggestions?

    GraB, Jan 20, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    says...

    > Any suggestions?

    I have the Abit counterpart to that mobo, the NF7S v.2.0 Similar problems,
    getting the sound (Nvidia soundstorm 5.1) to go is a major pita that's taken
    many days to do and probably months off my life (Now that it's going, it is
    actually pretty excellent, saving me a couple hundred bucks for an audigy
    card).
    I just plain disabled the onboard NIC and slotted a 3com OfficeConnect card in
    there. Haven't even attempted to get the onboard NIC to run under Win XP but it
    wouldn't run under '98 the first time I tried.

    The Nvidia drivers for that chipset have been a major bugbear for many people.

    Best bet is: get the driver removal tool from NVidia website. Get the chipset
    unified driver, and get the _separate_ audio drivers. Run the removal tools,
    and install the downloaded drivers. If he's lucky, he'll be away.
    I updated the sound drivers on my board several times, and the update never
    took ... until I used the removal tool, and went through the registry with a
    fine toothed comb.

    So anyway: this is my advice for a replacement: don't get a board with an
    NVidia 2 chipset, go VIA. I have no idea if they've managed to sort those kinds
    of problems with the NVidia 4 chipsets.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 20, 2006

  3. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 02:43:35 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >I have the Abit counterpart to that mobo, the NF7S v.2.0 Similar problems,
    >getting the sound (Nvidia soundstorm 5.1) to go is a major pita that's taken
    >many days to do and probably months off my life (Now that it's going, it is
    >actually pretty excellent, saving me a couple hundred bucks for an audigy
    >card).
    >I just plain disabled the onboard NIC and slotted a 3com OfficeConnect card in
    >there. Haven't even attempted to get the onboard NIC to run under Win XP but it
    >wouldn't run under '98 the first time I tried.
    >
    >The Nvidia drivers for that chipset have been a major bugbear for many people.
    >
    >Best bet is: get the driver removal tool from NVidia website. Get the chipset
    >unified driver, and get the _separate_ audio drivers. Run the removal tools,
    >and install the downloaded drivers. If he's lucky, he'll be away.
    >I updated the sound drivers on my board several times, and the update never
    >took ... until I used the removal tool, and went through the registry with a
    >fine toothed comb.
    >
    >So anyway: this is my advice for a replacement: don't get a board with an
    >NVidia 2 chipset, go VIA. I have no idea if they've managed to sort those kinds
    >of problems with the NVidia 4 chipsets.
    >
    >-P.

    Thanks for that. Sounds like this is the approach, though he has the
    stripped down version without the Soundstorm sound, just the Realtek,
    IIRC.

    GraB, Jan 20, 2006
  4. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 02:43:35 +1300, Peter Huebner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> I have the Abit counterpart to that mobo, the NF7S v.2.0 Similar
    >> problems, getting the sound (Nvidia soundstorm 5.1) to go is a major
    >> pita that's taken many days to do and probably months off my life
    >> (Now that it's going, it is actually pretty excellent, saving me a
    >> couple hundred bucks for an audigy card).
    >> I just plain disabled the onboard NIC and slotted a 3com
    >> OfficeConnect card in there. Haven't even attempted to get the
    >> onboard NIC to run under Win XP but it wouldn't run under '98 the
    >> first time I tried.
    >>
    >> The Nvidia drivers for that chipset have been a major bugbear for
    >> many people.
    >>
    >> Best bet is: get the driver removal tool from NVidia website. Get
    >> the chipset unified driver, and get the _separate_ audio drivers.
    >> Run the removal tools, and install the downloaded drivers. If he's
    >> lucky, he'll be away.
    >> I updated the sound drivers on my board several times, and the
    >> update never took ... until I used the removal tool, and went
    >> through the registry with a fine toothed comb.
    >>
    >> So anyway: this is my advice for a replacement: don't get a board
    >> with an NVidia 2 chipset, go VIA. I have no idea if they've managed
    >> to sort those kinds of problems with the NVidia 4 chipsets.
    >>
    >> -P.

    > Thanks for that. Sounds like this is the approach, though he has the
    > stripped down version without the Soundstorm sound, just the Realtek,
    > IIRC.

    I have a Soltek mobo, nForce2/Ultra/400 with AC97 sound, 6 channel. The
    sound was Ok but I threw a Creative card in, it's better. The chipset is
    excellent, stable and reliable IMO. I've ran two of them since way back. At
    the time I bought it a certain Mr Sheppard rubbished it because it didn't
    have the SB with Soundstorm integrated. After all the problems I've read
    about with Soundstorm I'm glad it didn't.

    Grab, if you and your friend decide to discard this board I wouldn't mind
    getting it if you don't want too much for it. I'd like to play with it, the
    AMD 761 based board my XP2200+ Tbred B is running in is boring. Reliable but
    boring. No O/C options.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2006
  5. GraB

    Jerry Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > A friend is having trouble with his computer. He was given a
    > motherboard ( ASUS A7N8X-X ) without a CD of drivers. He wants to
    > replace the mobo with something similar, compatible with the XP2800
    > CPU. He doesn't need anything fancy, just for Google and Office.
    >
    > He says:
    >
    > Its an ASUS A7N8X-X which is basically running very well. However,
    > I can't get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it. I bought
    > a soundcard from Tricky Dickie, but it has the wrong chipset and won't
    > do a thing. There is quite a discussion on the net about getting the
    > sound to work on this MB., but the web site that everyone favours for
    > a download is down at he moment and so no dice there. Now I am up
    > against it again. THe MB will not run Ethernet connections, vis my
    > new ADSL Modem from Telecom, without a driver. So I have to run it on
    > USB, which won't let me run my Belkin Wireless Router?? I haven't
    > tried to look for a driver on the net. I just feel that maybe its
    > time to start again with a new Mother board.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I have an A7N8X-X running an XP2600+, mine doesn't have onboard sound.
    It's been working well for a couple of years. I probably have the
    driver disk for it around here somewhere.

    Jerry, Jan 20, 2006
  6. GraB

    MarkH Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > So anyway: this is my advice for a replacement: don't get a board with
    > an NVidia 2 chipset, go VIA. I have no idea if they've managed to sort
    > those kinds of problems with the NVidia 4 chipsets.

    I think that they must have. I have the Asus A8N-E board which works fine
    with the included drivers under WinXP. The 64-bit drivers from the Asus
    website work fine with WinXP 64-Bit. All M/Board components work fine with
    SUSE 10 64-Bit, no drivers needed. The onboard GB NIC works fine. The
    onboard 5.1 sound works fine through analogue, coax and optical connections
    - except under SUSE where I only seem to get the analogue output working
    (not a biggie, this is primarily my Windows box).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Jan 20, 2006
  7. GraB

    PC Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >A friend is having trouble with his computer. He was given a
    > motherboard ( ASUS A7N8X-X ) without a CD of drivers. He wants to
    > replace the mobo with something similar, compatible with the XP2800
    > CPU. He doesn't need anything fancy, just for Google and Office.
    >
    > He says:
    >
    > Its an ASUS A7N8X-X which is basically running very well. However,
    > I can't get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it. I bought
    > a soundcard from Tricky Dickie, but it has the wrong chipset and won't
    > do a thing. There is quite a discussion on the net about getting the
    > sound to work on this MB., but the web site that everyone favours for
    > a download is down at he moment and so no dice there. Now I am up
    > against it again. THe MB will not run Ethernet connections, vis my
    > new ADSL Modem from Telecom, without a driver. So I have to run it on
    > USB, which won't let me run my Belkin Wireless Router?? I haven't
    > tried to look for a driver on the net. I just feel that maybe its
    > time to start again with a new Mother board.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Have you been to the Asus driver page?
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 21, 2006
  8. GraB

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > Its an ASUS A7N8X-X  which is basically running very well.  However,
    > I can't  get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it.

    If it's an nForce chipset mobo, you get the drivers from the nVidia web
    site.

    www.nvidia.com

    steve, Jan 21, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    says...

    > Thanks for that. Sounds like this is the approach, though he has the
    > stripped down version without the Soundstorm sound, just the Realtek,
    > IIRC.

    For those boards, people have reported good success by running drivers
    downloaded from realtek's site, surprisingly <grin> instead of using the ones
    supplied by the mobo manufacturer.

    h.t.h., -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 21, 2006
  10. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > A friend is having trouble with his computer. He was given a
    > motherboard ( ASUS A7N8X-X ) without a CD of drivers. He wants to
    > replace the mobo with something similar, compatible with the XP2800
    > CPU. He doesn't need anything fancy, just for Google and Office.
    >
    > He says:
    >
    > Its an ASUS A7N8X-X which is basically running very well. However,
    > I can't get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it. I bought
    > a soundcard from Tricky Dickie, but it has the wrong chipset and won't
    > do a thing. There is quite a discussion on the net about getting the
    > sound to work on this MB., but the web site that everyone favours for
    > a download is down at he moment and so no dice there. Now I am up
    > against it again. THe MB will not run Ethernet connections, vis my
    > new ADSL Modem from Telecom, without a driver. So I have to run it on
    > USB, which won't let me run my Belkin Wireless Router?? I haven't
    > tried to look for a driver on the net. I just feel that maybe its
    > time to start again with a new Mother board.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Could be a VIA chipset and you have to get their drivers. Asus has
    excellent support, their website has all the drivers ready to download.

    Rob J, Jan 21, 2006
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:24:20 +1300, Rob J
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> A friend is having trouble with his computer. He was given a
    >> motherboard ( ASUS A7N8X-X ) without a CD of drivers. He wants to
    >> replace the mobo with something similar, compatible with the XP2800
    >> CPU. He doesn't need anything fancy, just for Google and Office.
    >>
    >> He says:
    >>
    >> Its an ASUS A7N8X-X which is basically running very well. However,
    >> I can't get me a driver off the Net to run the Sound on it. I bought
    >> a soundcard from Tricky Dickie, but it has the wrong chipset and won't
    >> do a thing. There is quite a discussion on the net about getting the
    >> sound to work on this MB., but the web site that everyone favours for
    >> a download is down at he moment and so no dice there. Now I am up
    >> against it again. THe MB will not run Ethernet connections, vis my
    >> new ADSL Modem from Telecom, without a driver. So I have to run it on
    >> USB, which won't let me run my Belkin Wireless Router?? I haven't
    >> tried to look for a driver on the net. I just feel that maybe its
    >> time to start again with a new Mother board.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    >Could be a VIA chipset and you have to get their drivers. Asus has
    >excellent support, their website has all the drivers ready to download.

    It is an nVidia NForce2 chipset and I have given him the link for the
    drivers at the nVidia site.

    I have sent him the suggestions that have come up in this thread but
    haven't heard back from yet.

    GraB, Jan 21, 2006