Mobile VOIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Joe Harrison, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Joe Harrison

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Argos are currently doing an Acer N50 "Pocket PC" PDA for £199.99. Built-in
    bluetooth and 802.11b so I thought it was worth shelling out to experiment
    with mobile VOIP. Installed Skype and it seems to work fine, then installed
    "SJphone" (free SIP and H.323 client) and that works a treat as well. Only
    tried using my home wireless access so far but I'll give it a proper workout
    from a hotel I'm in next week. My vodafone bill is going to love this.
     
    Joe Harrison, Jan 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Joe Harrison

    Mark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:53:09 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >Argos are currently doing an Acer N50 "Pocket PC" PDA for £199.99. Built-in
    >bluetooth and 802.11b so I thought it was worth shelling out to experiment
    >with mobile VOIP. Installed Skype and it seems to work fine, then installed
    >"SJphone" (free SIP and H.323 client) and that works a treat as well. Only
    >tried using my home wireless access so far but I'll give it a proper workout
    >from a hotel I'm in next week. My vodafone bill is going to love this.


    Yes, please let us know how you get on in a real-world mobile
    situation rather than at home.
     
    Mark, Jan 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joe Harrison

    Joe Harrison Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:53:09 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Argos are currently doing an Acer N50 "Pocket PC" PDA for £199.99.

    Built-in
    > >bluetooth and 802.11b so I thought it was worth shelling out to

    experiment
    > >with mobile VOIP. Installed Skype and it seems to work fine, then

    installed
    > >"SJphone" (free SIP and H.323 client) and that works a treat as well.

    Only
    > >tried using my home wireless access so far but I'll give it a proper

    workout
    > >from a hotel I'm in next week. My vodafone bill is going to love this.

    >
    > Yes, please let us know how you get on in a real-world mobile
    > situation rather than at home.
    >


    I've been at a conference in a mainland Europe hotel. There was wireless
    access available so tried out a few voice calls using the PDA and softphone.
    The wireless access was actually pretty crappy - the hotel obviously sees it
    as a profit centre so was heavily guarded with passwords and so on. (I hate
    that, they wouldn't charge you extra for electricity so why for internet
    access.) More importantly I found it rather slow when used for browsing etc.
    so was not expecting much from VOIP attempts. ISP providing service was
    http://www.ibahn.com

    The good news is that the pocket-PC version of Skype worked brilliantly. I
    "Skyped-Out" to the PSTN and people I talked to didn't really notice
    anything unusual about the voice quality. When I specifically asked them
    they said oh yes it is a bit crackly, but overall - usable. I don't have
    "Skype-In" incoming number so not tried but presumably same.

    The bad news, SJphone with SIP was hopeless. Bad echo and jittery sound, no
    way could sustain a normal conversation. I used all the SJphone defaults
    including the free pre-configured account somewhere and I was dialing a
    Sipgate number. Works alright at home so I have to assume it needs a minimum
    amount of bandwidth that it wasn't getting. Too wary to reconfigure SJphone
    with a real Sipgate account as I don't know how secure that is (password
    presumably sent in clear over hotel wireless.)

    Functionality is basically there though and with more work and a better
    connection could just possibly replace my GSM or at least take a big chunk
    out of its roaming bill.
     
    Joe Harrison, Jan 19, 2006
    #3
  4. Joe Harrison

    alexd Guest

    Joe Harrison wrote:

    > Functionality is basically there though and with more work and a better
    > connection could just possibly replace my GSM or at least take a big chunk
    > out of its roaming bill.


    How cruel and heartless of you. How on earth are the poor little mobile
    telcos going to pay for their 3G licenses if people keep doing things like
    this to them?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:13:31 up 4 days, 1:28, 2 users, load average: 0.61, 0.67, 0.72
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK
     
    alexd, Jan 19, 2006
    #4
  5. Joe Harrison

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Joe Harrison wrote:
    > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:53:09 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Argos are currently doing an Acer N50 "Pocket PC" PDA for £199.99.

    >
    > Built-in
    >
    >>>bluetooth and 802.11b so I thought it was worth shelling out to

    >
    > experiment
    >
    >>>with mobile VOIP. Installed Skype and it seems to work fine, then

    >
    > installed
    >
    >>>"SJphone" (free SIP and H.323 client) and that works a treat as well.

    >
    > Only
    >
    >>>tried using my home wireless access so far but I'll give it a proper

    >
    > workout
    >
    >>>from a hotel I'm in next week. My vodafone bill is going to love this.

    >>
    >>Yes, please let us know how you get on in a real-world mobile
    >>situation rather than at home.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I've been at a conference in a mainland Europe hotel. There was wireless
    > access available so tried out a few voice calls using the PDA and softphone.
    > The wireless access was actually pretty crappy - the hotel obviously sees it
    > as a profit centre so was heavily guarded with passwords and so on. (I hate
    > that, they wouldn't charge you extra for electricity so why for internet
    > access.) More importantly I found it rather slow when used for browsing etc.
    > so was not expecting much from VOIP attempts. ISP providing service was
    > http://www.ibahn.com
    >
    > The good news is that the pocket-PC version of Skype worked brilliantly. I
    > "Skyped-Out" to the PSTN and people I talked to didn't really notice
    > anything unusual about the voice quality. When I specifically asked them
    > they said oh yes it is a bit crackly, but overall - usable. I don't have
    > "Skype-In" incoming number so not tried but presumably same.
    >
    > The bad news, SJphone with SIP was hopeless. Bad echo and jittery sound, no
    > way could sustain a normal conversation. I used all the SJphone defaults
    > including the free pre-configured account somewhere and I was dialing a
    > Sipgate number. Works alright at home so I have to assume it needs a minimum
    > amount of bandwidth that it wasn't getting. Too wary to reconfigure SJphone
    > with a real Sipgate account as I don't know how secure that is (password
    > presumably sent in clear over hotel wireless.)
    >
    > Functionality is basically there though and with more work and a better
    > connection could just possibly replace my GSM or at least take a big chunk
    > out of its roaming bill.
    >
    >
    >

    Good to hear that it worked. Although I guess you couldn't have used a
    proper wifi phone since you'd need a built in web browser to get past
    the password login screen(s). Such a phone should be available soon
    however.

    Your problems with SJPhone just sound like a codec issue. I guess the
    software was set to use G.711 which really needs 100K in either
    direction to work. Switching to something like G.729 (if SJPhone
    supports it?) should have solved that. Passwords wouldn't have been a
    problem, SIP uses MD5 encryption for passwords these days. You
    shouldn't have to rely on a secure network to protect your password.

    I guess eventually hotels (and lots of other places) will start charging
    for QoS rather than bandwidth.

    Paul.
     
    Paul Hayes, Jan 23, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. KnowingAbout.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    585
    KnowingAbout.com
    Jul 29, 2006
  2. KnowingAbout.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    994
    KnowingAbout.com
    Jul 29, 2006
  3. princes

    Mobile reviews,Secrets,mobile venues, mobile themes

    princes, Jun 2, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    571
    princes
    Jun 2, 2007
  4. princes

    Mobile 3GP Videos, Mobile Games, Mobile secrets

    princes, Jun 5, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    477
    princes
    Jun 5, 2007
  5. princess

    Mobile 3GP Videos, Mobile Games, Mobile secrets,

    princess, Jun 5, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    759
    princess
    Jun 5, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page