    in the UK.

    Cheers
    Ry

    Ryan, Apr 12, 2008

  2. In article <TX9Mj.12341$2>,
    Ryan <> wrote:
    >Hi all.
    >
    >I am off to the States for a while shortly and want to keep in touch with
    >family in the UK.
    >I have a sipgate account so want to get a mobile phone type thing that works
    >on WiFi that I can take with me - set it up with my sipgate account and
    >carry it with me.
    >
    >Now, does any one have experience of any of the mobile phone type models (I
    >have looked at this one: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=159243) and what
    >type of speech quality could I expect if I am in the US and the family are
    >in the UK.

    I'm not a fan of Wi-Fi phones as you might read here... One of the
    issues you might have is registering with an access point that needs a
    username and password... Even if you get a "free" token from a coffee
    shop, etc...

    So in that respect, my Nokia E90 is great, as I can use it's web
    browser, then register, then use the SIP client via Wi-Fi...
    (when they've not firewalled it out)

    If you know you'll not need to register/login (eg. from workplace)
    then it'll be easier...

    That phone is pricey - if you want cheap, then have a look at:

    http://www.provu.co.uk/ex_demo.html

    They have F1000's for £30... (+VAT, I imagine) I have one of these and
    while it's not perfect (needs rebooting, loses registration, etc.), when
    it has been working it's been "acceptable" for what it is.

    Still not a fan of Wi-Fi though!

    Let us know what you went for and how you got on!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 12, 2008

  3. Ryan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ryan wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I am off to the States for a while shortly and want to keep in touch
    > with family in the UK.
    > I have a sipgate account so want to get a mobile phone type thing
    > that works on WiFi that I can take with me - set it up with my
    > sipgate account and carry it with me.
    >
    > Now, does any one have experience of any of the mobile phone type
    > models (I have looked at this one:
    > http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=159243) and what type of speech
    > quality could I expect if I am in the US and the family are in the UK.

    I just use my laptop with a headset and X-Pro. Fiddly and not exactly
    pocket sized, but works for just calling home. For local calls over there
    I use a local T-Mobile SIM.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 12, 2008
  4. In article <J4adnaTvF58pzZzVnZ2dnUVZ8gidnZ2d@plusnet>,
    Martin² <> wrote:
    >Too expensive.
    >You can get a new Senao SI 7800H on ebay from data_shopper.
    >Or you can get a slightly second hand one from me.
    >I have to agree with Gordon, it works OK on open WiFi networks, it's a
    >hassle to connect to encrypted networks and does not always work. The call
    >quality can be good or poor, depends on how busy the network is.
    >Another possibility is to buy a Pirelli Mobile / WiFi / SIP phone from
    >sipgate.co.uk for £59 +postage,
    >seems a good price for a decent mobile phone alone, and consider the VoIP
    >thrown in for free.
    >Can't say how well that works, in fact I am waiting for somebody else to be
    >a guinea pig...

    One of my clients appears to have one of these...

    ie.:

    siren*CLI> sip show peer 130100
    Useragent : Pirelli D910.0.3.99d FS_D910.0.2.82c_PIG

    And from the log:

    Apr 13 08:01:16 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now TOO LAGGED! (3288ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:01:27 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (646ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:21:39 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now TOO LAGGED! (3286ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:21:50 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (748ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:25:55 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 412
    Apr 13 08:26:05 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (342ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:33:12 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now TOO LAGGED! (3289ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:33:23 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (645ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:40:28 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now TOO LAGGED! (2190ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:40:38 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (310ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:54:48 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now TOO LAGGED! (3291ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 08:54:59 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now REACHABLE! (643ms / 2000ms)
    Apr 13 09:11:11 NOTICE[10380] chan_sip.c: Peer '130100' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 519

    etc. all day/night long ....

    So I don't know if it's the phone, his Wi-Fi connection, or what, but
    it does look odd, but he does seem to be making calls with it!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    > any windows mobile phone with wifi and with Fring installed will work(free
    > download) - I use this for skype/msn and my voip accounts. Only issue is
    > you have to use a headset or the loudspeaker - you cant use the phone
    > earpiece.

    Thanks to all for the advice - will have a look at some of the suggestions
    put forward - you never know, I could be the guinea pig!

    Ryan, Apr 13, 2008
  6. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    > "Ryan" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> I am off to the States for a while shortly and want to keep in touch with
    >> family in the UK.
    >> I have a sipgate account so want to get a mobile phone type thing that
    >> works on WiFi that I can take with me - set it up with my sipgate account
    >> and carry it with me.
    >>
    >> Now, does any one have experience of any of the mobile phone type models
    >> (I have looked at this one: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=159243) and
    >> what type of speech quality could I expect if I am in the US and the
    >> family are in the UK.

    > I have a Nokia E65 (for which I paid less SIM Free than the phone in your
    > web link). It is also a tri-band phone.
    >
    > Although I have found one or two free WiFi points, non of them would let
    > me make a SIP call. I had enough difficulty persuading my own router to
    > allow an outgoign call.

    I regularly use my E65 to make and receive SIP calls.

    With the regular Vodafone firmware on the phone, the phone (silently) didn't
    allow SIP calls. When I installed Truphone, or reflashed the firmware to a
    generic one I had no issues.

    Piers Finlayson, Apr 15, 2008