Mobile profiles without server? Server AV? Windows 7 does RAID 5?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Calab, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. Calab

    Calab Guest

    I have two questions and I don't see any groups that refer to Windows 7, or
    that are relevant to my roaming profile question, so please excuse the
    crossposting. I am watch all groups for any replies...

    We have four users in our home and three computers. These computers run
    Vista Premium 64bit, Windows 7 RC 64bit and Windows 2003 Server 32bit. All
    are legit with proper licensing, etc. These computers are shared, so anyone
    could be sitting at any computer. We may be adding a fourth PC as a media
    server.

    Now, my questions...

    - I would love to have roaming profiles, but we don't run a domain
    controller, etc. Are there alternatives to this? I simply want to sit a any
    PC, log in, and have my documents, start menu, background, etc. follow me.
    Is there a way to point Windows to a network drive for all my local profile
    info?

    - The 2003 Server is overkill for what we do. Just a file server, basically.
    Trying to find a decent antivirus program, at a decent price, that will run
    on a Server machine is difficult. What makes it worse is that I don't want
    infected files moved, deleted or repaired. I just want them renamed, adding
    the .vir extension. Because of this, I am considering moving this machine to
    Windows 7. Does this sound reasonable?

    - Since our Window 2003 machine if a file server, we have our drives in a
    RAID5 array. If I move to Windows 7 will I have to lose the array or will
    Windows 7 support RAID5 arrays? Will I need to rely on a hardware solution
    or can Windows 7 create RAID 5 arrays line Windows 2003 can?

    ....so, simply put, what is the best solution to access the same desktop on
    multiple machines and to server my RAID5 files to my household?

    Calab, Aug 9, 2009