    I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007

  2. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:41:29 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    > to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so).
    > I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    > I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    > got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?

    Carphone Warehouse? Curry's? Orange Shops? T-Mobile Shops? Need I go on?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Apr 6, 2007

  3. Alfred

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    > to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so).
    > I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    > I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    > got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?

    some good deals at Tesco at the moment

    http://www.tescophones.com/pay-as-you-go/

    A Motorola might be a good idea for you, or one of the Nokias. Obtaining
    a cable is easy but most come with a USB cable of sorts.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Apr 6, 2007
  4. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:42:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:41:29 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    >> to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so).
    >> I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    >> I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    >> got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?
    >>

    >Carphone Warehouse? Curry's? Orange Shops? T-Mobile Shops? Need I go on?

    Tried them. There are 7 on the high street
    When I start talking about data cables and software the assistants go
    all glazed eyes. The vodaphone shop put me onto a Sagem MY215x. Cheap
    PAYG and a data cable available but a check shows no mention of
    software. I've tried doing a search on the web but tying down what I
    want to a specific model is impossible.

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007
  5. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:58:12 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:42:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:41:29 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    >>> to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so).
    >>> I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    >>> I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    >>> got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?
    >>>

    >>Carphone Warehouse? Curry's? Orange Shops? T-Mobile Shops? Need I go on?

    > Tried them. There are 7 on the high street
    > When I start talking about data cables and software the assistants go
    > all glazed eyes. The vodaphone shop put me onto a Sagem MY215x. Cheap
    > PAYG and a data cable available but a check shows no mention of
    > software. I've tried doing a search on the web but tying down what I
    > want to a specific model is impossible.

    The missus has a Motorola V3 RAZR which came with a cable and
    mobilePhoneTools by BVRP. The software is a bit of a fucker to get going
    but I think it would do what you want.

    I noticed a V3 among other mobiles in one of the inserts from the local
    free paper last week going pretty cheap (from a well-known shop). I'll
    take a look and see if I can find it and let you know.

    Fingers crossed the missus hasn't binned it.

    Aardvark, Apr 6, 2007
  6. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:10:19 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:58:12 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:42:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Carphone Warehouse? Curry's? Orange Shops? T-Mobile Shops? Need I go on?

    >> Tried them. There are 7 on the high street
    >> When I start talking about data cables and software the assistants go
    >> all glazed eyes. The vodaphone shop put me onto a Sagem MY215x. Cheap
    >> PAYG and a data cable available but a check shows no mention of
    >> software. I've tried doing a search on the web but tying down what I
    >> want to a specific model is impossible.
    >>

    > The missus has a Motorola V3 RAZR which came with a cable and
    > mobilePhoneTools by BVRP. The software is a bit of a fucker to get going
    > but I think it would do what you want.
    >
    > I noticed a V3 among other mobiles in one of the inserts from the local
    > free paper last week going pretty cheap (from a well-known shop). I'll
    > take a look and see if I can find it and let you know.
    >
    > Fingers crossed the missus hasn't binned it.

    Just had a rummage through the blue recycle bag (I think somebody's cat
    has been pissing in my shed). No sign of the leaflet I was thinking about,
    but for some reason I keep thinking Argos.

    Aardvark, Apr 6, 2007
  7. Alfred

    zack Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in news:0GtRh.2384$jo2.1596
    @newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

    > On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:10:19 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:58:12 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    so).

    because

    on?

    >>> Tried them. There are 7 on the high street
    >>> When I start talking about data cables and software the assistants go
    >>> all glazed eyes. The vodaphone shop put me onto a Sagem MY215x. Cheap
    >>> PAYG and a data cable available but a check shows no mention of
    >>> software. I've tried doing a search on the web but tying down what I
    >>> want to a specific model is impossible.
    >>>

    >> The missus has a Motorola V3 RAZR which came with a cable and
    >> mobilePhoneTools by BVRP. The software is a bit of a fucker to get going
    >> but I think it would do what you want.
    >>
    >> I noticed a V3 among other mobiles in one of the inserts from the local
    >> free paper last week going pretty cheap (from a well-known shop). I'll
    >> take a look and see if I can find it and let you know.
    >>
    >> Fingers crossed the missus hasn't binned it.
    >>

    > Just had a rummage through the blue recycle bag (I think somebody's cat
    > has been pissing in my shed). No sign of the leaflet I was thinking

    about,
    > but for some reason I keep thinking Argos.

    Iv'e had a razr v3 for 4 months now with a payg tesco sim,
    neat little phone got it brand new for £50, have also got the
    phone tools & they work ok.

    zack.

    --
    ------------------------------------
    I'm here now what's your second wish

    (Lost World Of The Kalahari)

    zack, Apr 6, 2007
  8. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:27:56 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:10:19 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:58:12 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    >>> Tried them. There are 7 on the high street
    >>> When I start talking about data cables and software the assistants go
    >>> all glazed eyes. The vodaphone shop put me onto a Sagem MY215x. Cheap
    >>> PAYG and a data cable available but a check shows no mention of
    >>> software. I've tried doing a search on the web but tying down what I
    >>> want to a specific model is impossible.
    >>>

    >> The missus has a Motorola V3 RAZR which came with a cable and
    >> mobilePhoneTools by BVRP. The software is a bit of a fucker to get going
    >> but I think it would do what you want.
    >>
    >> I noticed a V3 among other mobiles in one of the inserts from the local
    >> free paper last week going pretty cheap (from a well-known shop). I'll
    >> take a look and see if I can find it and let you know.
    >>
    >> Fingers crossed the missus hasn't binned it.
    >>

    >Just had a rummage through the blue recycle bag (I think somebody's cat
    >has been pissing in my shed). No sign of the leaflet I was thinking about,
    >but for some reason I keep thinking Argos.

    I'll have a look. New Argos catalogue has just come in
    Yep it's in there at just under £80. No mention of data cable and
    software though.

    I isn't actually for me. I work for a local charity and we worked it
    out that it would be cheaper to text a client than mail them. About
    15p for a text against about a £1 for a letter. Unfortunately the
    rules forbid a credit/debit card and call for two sigs for any
    spending so we have to go down this cash route rather than open an
    account with an online provider.

    I actually have a Sagem MyX3 that does it all but they aren't made
    anymore.

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007
  9. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:50:07 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > I'll have a look. New Argos catalogue has just come in
    > Yep it's in there at just under £80. No mention of data cable and
    > software though.

    The data cable and USB lead do actually come in the box along with the
    phone, charger, a cover and the software CD (just looked in the box :)).

    Aardvark, Apr 6, 2007
  10. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:54:31 +0100, Flying Rat <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    >> to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so).
    >> I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    >> I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    >> got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?
    >>

    >some good deals at Tesco at the moment
    >
    >http://www.tescophones.com/pay-as-you-go/
    >
    >A Motorola might be a good idea for you, or one of the Nokias. Obtaining
    >a cable is easy but most come with a USB cable of sorts.

    The nokia 1600 can be supplied with a data suite so its worth looking
    at.
    http://www.mobilephoneaccessoryshop.com/Nokia/1600/

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007
  11. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:36:12 GMT, zack
    <> wrote:

    >Iv'e had a razr v3 for 4 months now with a payg tesco sim,
    >neat little phone got it brand new for £50, have also got the
    >phone tools & they work ok.

    Did the software and data cable come with the phone?

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007
  12. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:53:46 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:50:07 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >

    >> I'll have a look. New Argos catalogue has just come in
    >> Yep it's in there at just under £80. No mention of data cable and
    >> software though.
    >>

    >The data cable and USB lead do actually come in the box along with the
    >phone, charger, a cover and the software CD (just looked in the box :)).

    Thanks. Looks like one to point the boss at

    Alfred, Apr 6, 2007
  13. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:53:46 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:50:07 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >

    > The data cable and USB lead do actually come in the box along with the
    > phone, charger, a cover and the software CD (just looked in the box :)).

    Oops! That should read 'The USB data cable do actually.....'etc.
    Had a doofus moment. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 6, 2007
  14. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:12:00 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:53:46 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:50:07 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >>

    >> The data cable and USB lead do actually come in the box along with the
    >> phone, charger, a cover and the software CD (just looked in the box :)).
    >>

    >Oops! That should read 'The USB data cable do actually.....'etc.
    >Had a doofus moment. :)

    Found one in Morrisons for£59.99 today. They kindly opened a box and
    let me check the contents.

    I'm astonished the technical descriptions externally don't mention
    whether this stuff is included.

    Alfred, Apr 7, 2007
  15. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:14:09 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > Found one in Morrisons for£59.99 today. They kindly opened a box and
    > let me check the contents.

    Well? Was the data lead and software in the box? What kind of phone was it?

    Reminds me of that Laurel and Hardy sketch in one of their films:
    Stan Laurel answers the phone, listens for a few seconds, says "You don't
    say!". A pause. "You don't say!". Another pause. "You don't say!". Another
    pause then he hangs up.

    Oliver Hardy asks "Well, who was that?". Stan answers "He didn't say".:)

    Aardvark, Apr 7, 2007
  16. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:09:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:14:09 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> Found one in Morrisons for£59.99 today. They kindly opened a box and
    >> let me check the contents.

    >Well? Was the data lead and software in the box? What kind of phone was it?

    Motorola V3 black.
    Phone
    charger
    USB cable
    Hands free cable
    CD with software tools
    Handbook
    Vodafone booklet
    Top up card

    Now I need to get two signatures and get the money to buy it then
    teach the staff how to use it.

    >Reminds me of that Laurel and Hardy sketch in one of their films:
    >Stan Laurel answers the phone, listens for a few seconds, says "You don't
    >say!". A pause. "You don't say!". Another pause. "You don't say!". Another
    >pause then he hangs up.
    >
    >Oliver Hardy asks "Well, who was that?". Stan answers "He didn't say".:)

    I sometimes think I work for them :)

    (Stanley was actually a local boy
    http://www.bishopaucklandtown.org/stan.asp )

    Alfred, Apr 7, 2007
  17. Alfred

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:54:31 +0100, Flying Rat <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> I want a basic PAYG mobile phone with a data cable and software so as
    > >> to be able to send text messages from the computer. Cheap(£50 or so)..
    > >> I don't want to sign up for one of the services supplying this because
    > >> I don't want the bother of a monthly account to be settled. Anyone
    > >> got any advice as to what is available in the UK at present?
    > >>

    > >some good deals at Tesco at the moment
    > >
    > >http://www.tescophones.com/pay-as-you-go/
    > >
    > >A Motorola might be a good idea for you, or one of the Nokias. Obtaining
    > >a cable is easy but most come with a USB cable of sorts.
    > >

    > The nokia 1600 can be supplied with a data suite so its worth looking
    > at.
    > http://www.mobilephoneaccessoryshop.com/Nokia/1600/

    quite a few choices, the Motorola V3 is under fifty quid at tesco at the
    moment.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Apr 7, 2007
  18. Alfred

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:21 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:09:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:14:09 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >>
    >>> Found one in Morrisons for£59.99 today. They kindly opened a box and
    >>> let me check the contents.

    >>Well? Was the data lead and software in the box? What kind of phone was it?

    > Motorola V3 black.
    > Phone
    > charger
    > USB cable
    > Hands free cable
    > CD with software tools
    > Handbook
    > Vodafone booklet
    > Top up card
    >
    > Now I need to get two signatures and get the money to buy it then
    > teach the staff how to use it.
    >>
    >>Reminds me of that Laurel and Hardy sketch in one of their films:
    >>Stan Laurel answers the phone, listens for a few seconds, says "You don't
    >>say!". A pause. "You don't say!". Another pause. "You don't say!". Another
    >>pause then he hangs up.
    >>
    >>Oliver Hardy asks "Well, who was that?". Stan answers "He didn't say".:)

    > I sometimes think I work for them :)
    >
    > (Stanley was actually a local boy
    > http://www.bishopaucklandtown.org/stan.asp )

    Never knew that much about him but I always connected him only with
    Ulverston in Cumbria (or Cumberland, as he would have known it). I think
    he's got a statue there.

    Pleased I was able to help (albeit only with dim memories :)). Might get
    one of those myself next time I'm in Warrington or Crewe (nearest
    Morrisons I can think of, or maybe one in Widnes I think would be nearest).

    What network is it on? It's possible to easily unlock it if the PAYG is a
    bit too expensive on whatever network it's tied to.

    Aardvark, Apr 7, 2007
  19. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 13:54:35 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:27:21 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:09:01 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Well? Was the data lead and software in the box? What kind of phone was it?

    >> Motorola V3 black.
    >> Phone
    >> charger
    >> USB cable
    >> Hands free cable
    >> CD with software tools
    >> Handbook
    >> Vodafone booklet
    >> Top up card
    >>
    >> Now I need to get two signatures and get the money to buy it then
    >> teach the staff how to use it.
    >>>
    >>>Reminds me of that Laurel and Hardy sketch in one of their films:
    >>>Stan Laurel answers the phone, listens for a few seconds, says "You don't
    >>>say!". A pause. "You don't say!". Another pause. "You don't say!". Another
    >>>pause then he hangs up.
    >>>
    >>>Oliver Hardy asks "Well, who was that?". Stan answers "He didn't say".:)

    >> I sometimes think I work for them :)
    >>
    >> (Stanley was actually a local boy
    >> http://www.bishopaucklandtown.org/stan.asp )
    >>

    >Never knew that much about him but I always connected him only with
    >Ulverston in Cumbria (or Cumberland, as he would have known it). I think
    >he's got a statue there.

    His family moved to Tyneside to run a theatre there too

    >Pleased I was able to help (albeit only with dim memories :)). Might get
    >one of those myself next time I'm in Warrington or Crewe (nearest
    >Morrisons I can think of, or maybe one in Widnes I think would be nearest).
    >
    >What network is it on? It's possible to easily unlock it if the PAYG is a
    >bit too expensive on whatever network it's tied to.

    Vodafone it looked like

    Alfred, Apr 7, 2007
  20. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:43:35 +0100, Flying Rat <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:54:31 +0100, Flying Rat <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > says...

    >> >some good deals at Tesco at the moment
    >> >
    >> >http://www.tescophones.com/pay-as-you-go/
    >> >
    >> >A Motorola might be a good idea for you, or one of the Nokias. Obtaining
    >> >a cable is easy but most come with a USB cable of sorts.
    >> >

    >> The nokia 1600 can be supplied with a data suite so its worth looking
    >> at.
    >> http://www.mobilephoneaccessoryshop.com/Nokia/1600/
    >>

    >quite a few choices, the Motorola V3 is under fifty quid at tesco at the
    >moment.

    We don't have a tesco but it's only a few quid more at Morrisons

    Alfred, Apr 7, 2007