Mobile PC mod.

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by unholy, May 23, 2006.

1. unholy

unholy

You hear it. 120mmx 120mm Mobo with a 5-6" Screen and some keypads. Its a PSP with 10000000000x more abilty, and slightly large, but worth it all.

i will first be finalizing a design, so i need to know the Exact LCD to use.

If anyone has links to Composite/RGB LCD's which are 5"-6" and are quite thin, and demisions would be perfect. The Sony PSone screen has to much Flab around its edges so please dont suggest it.

As for the Power, i will be using either 6cell 12volt AA Batteries or 9 Cell 12volt AA batteries, a AC-DC plug will be included on the back. though a PICO psu will be used to keep size down.

As for the Motherboard, you guessed it Nano-ITX i will have to either ask Via for sponsorship or purchase one from US. This board is approximently 120mmx120mm, It has onboard CPU and IDE/SATA/VIDEO (including a Composite) and a LVDS connection so everything is aviable.

EPIA - N (Thick Board with All connectors on the back)
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=221

EPIA - NL (Thin board, Jumpers for all connectors, which is very useful :))
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=361#spec

As for input device. ever heard of a Gamepad? one with analog sticks. i will be Pulling on apart and Molding it onto the front pretty much.

As for WiFi, currently it would be to bulky to include

Connection? LAN/USB :)

Storage? Laptop HDD, 40gb :) runs at reasonable wattage :)

Casing? well thats the tricky part, but i will be using a Steel frame for the LCD/ Mobo and a Plast Frame for the Batterys and HDD.

Currently the project has no funds. But i am going to be working a few day a week extra to build up some cash. If you have a Old SONY Controller, i might be able to destory it for the Pads and Analog stuff. and i am not sure about the PS1-> USB connector :| a Driver would be easily written :)

For comparision

Mobo Size 120x120. 170mm Diagonal

LCD 5" (4:3 ratio) 100x80, 127mm Diagonal

To give u an Idea of the size of this device, pick a 120mm fan or a cd. thats about the size of the screen if it was square.

**Comments are welcome, any suggestions ideas are welcome, as it is drafting stage ATM**

** Note Software for the Console like system will be written simalair to windows MCE to allow control with Analog and Directional Arrows **

unholy, May 23, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. unholy

unholy

Picture of idea.

Measurements Show representing size, Case thickness is not showed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    unholy, May 23, 2006
    1. Advertising

3. unholy

The Modfather

Man, ya don't get to sticky a mod project until you AT LEAST have something underway.

The Modfather, May 24, 2006
  4. unholy

unholy

stick to prevent it getting lost among deals and everything, all mod topics get stickied :p

design is semi complete man :p i am looking through batteries, and what sorta of power consumption i need :p

unholy, May 25, 2006
  5. unholy

The Modfather

Al's mods haven't been stickied, just yours and mine, seems unfair to Al thought.

The Modfather, May 25, 2006
  6. unholy

unholy

:| ODD. well i better go sticky them :|

unholy, May 25, 2006
  7. unholy

unholy

Al if u read this, Do u remember places where i can get a 5-6" LCD? for under 150 US?

unholy, May 26, 2006
  8. unholy

bigal

I was thinking about this LCD at www.performance-pcs.com:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=293&products_id=3732
    [​IMG]
    $139 USD

This wonderful little screen runs on the 12 Volt power from your computer's power supply unit and displays any composite video signal (RCA) supplied to it. The screen is easy to hook up to any video card with a TV-out plug (S-Video ports will need a plug to convert the connector to a RCA Composite Video Plug). It can also display TV, VCR, DVD or any other video signal that can be converted to a RCA Composite Video Signal.

If you use the screen as an extended desktop you can display system stats (like CPU temperature, processor usage and more), music visualizations, DVDs, weather reports, music players, network status visualizations, video streams and more!

The unit can be installed anywhere on the case. You can drill out mounting holes on your case window and mount the unit directly to the window. Or cut out a hole for the screen on the front or top of your case and mount it there - the possibilities are endless!

bigal, May 26, 2006
  9. unholy

unholy

4" is too small. :(

i should have got that 5.6" when it was on ebay :(

unholy, May 27, 2006
  10. unholy

bigal

You could always mount it in a frame of glowing LEDs or something.

bigal, May 27, 2006
  11. unholy

unholy

i found some good 5.6" from US and some 6.5, what i will be doing now is getting a 6.5" one that is widescreen but i am aiming at getting one only 120mm tall, and what ever wide. that way i might have room for a PCI side ways card and a alight Videocard :).

unholy, May 29, 2006
  12. unholy

unholy

Last edited: May 29, 2006
    unholy, May 29, 2006
  13. unholy

bigal

The 8" touch screen is pretty cool. I'd get that one, so you can keep in touch...

[​IMG]

bigal, May 30, 2006
  14. unholy

unholy

You can buy them in US al if u wanted on for ur Osborne mod

unholy, May 30, 2006
  15. unholy

unholy

<< Project >> reopened, funds are low but i am looking to have enough by chirstmas?

anyways i have found a good LCD.

7.9", 206W x 146H x 7D mm. with a res of 640x480... LVDS obiviously :p
    http://store.earthlcd.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1027/.f?sc=7&category=277

Problems. Its 20 pin LVDS, No inverter (cant read the manual properly)
    its big enough. and touch screen which is a possitive :)

The VIA Nano has a LVDS i think its 40 pin though...

Other problems in the project is Power!, the systems uses about 40 watts/hr which is 3300 mA/h which is quitye a bit of drain.. now thats only a guestiment of power consumption. I have look at Poly Batteries and Lithium, the main problem is that u can link batteries up to be stable, and that they could alot :|, it need running power of 4+ hours of screen on, and 6+ of screen off..

One way i can combat it is Flash drives instead of HDD, but thats a huge drop in memory.

Also with the controls there are many options. 4way pad, with a joystick/trackball. or a numpad? trackball is good one... the 4 way pad is a must.

I will be doing some drawing up... no battery spaces.

Dont think to much til i have some drawing done, though if u have ideas on power management (part from AC) then post :)

** EDIT: Just read into it abit more, the LCD is not responsive enough for Videos or moving, i am still looking for one though **

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
    unholy, Sep 5, 2006
  16. unholy

Gez

just a tip unholy, maybe you should just do a post when you have some solid information... we don't need to know every little part your looking at, sure if you have questions about parts or whatever... but that last post just looked like you were talking to yourself.
    In the business world bosses don't want a memo saying that your still working on the project... they just wana know when its done.

Gez, Sep 5, 2006
  17. unholy

bigal

Unholy - that's a 5-year old display, according to the drawing. With a low resolution and the interface issue you'll likely have, I think you should keep looking. How about trying to get one of those optional Thermaltake Mozart LCDs? I've heard they might cost upwards of $300 bucks however.

bigal, Sep 6, 2006
  18. unholy

unholy

thermaltake mozart lcd?, for 300 bucks i could get a 8" touch screen :p

i am just looking for something like a PSP screen just a little bigger :p

also note the aim of the thickness of the LCD, anything thicker then 1cm is too thick... and will make the thing to bulky /cry.

Found a nice one,
    Size Model Res Data/Transfer aviablity Brightness (Viewing) Contrast Responsetime (ms)
    6.3 NL10276BC12-02 1024 x 768 1ch LVDS 3 data 1 clk Available 250 60,60,45,60 500 21

http://www.displaze.com/Html/ovManu_nec.html

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
    unholy, Sep 7, 2006
  19. unholy

bigal

Too much yellow on that page. Otherwise, things are looking up.... :)

bigal, Sep 11, 2006
  20. unholy

bmw2007

If anyone has links to Composite/RGB LCD's which are 5"-6" and are quite thin, and demisions would be perfect. The Sony PSone screen has to much Flab around its edges so please dont suggest it.

As for the Power, i will be using either 6cell 12volt AA Batteries or 9 Cell 12volt AA batteries, a AC-DC plug will be included on the back. though a PICO psu will be used to keep size down.

bmw2007, Nov 7, 2008
    1. Advertising