Mobile Number Portability

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by El Chippy, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    > I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
    > be switched from one network to the other.
    >
    > Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
    > eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
    > had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
    > lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
    > me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
    > the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
    > problems I find this hard to beleive.
    >
    > So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
    > from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    > Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    A friend notified me he had switched from vodafone to telecom, but texting
    his number to 300 gets me a reply that 021XXXXXXXX is curently an active
    number on vodafones network yada yada yada..."
    So either he hasn't been switched like he thought, or the notification
    system is nerfed.

    Will this number portability spell the end of calling plans within
    networks ie Vodafone to Vodafone? I cant see how they expect everyone to
    check every number they might want to call to see which network it is on.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=12731&page_no=1#66095
    at least one person appears to have been switched over.

    Basil.Fawlty, Apr 10, 2007

  3. El Chippy

    Ken Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    >I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
    >be switched from one network to the other.
    >
    >Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
    >eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
    >had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
    >lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
    >me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
    >the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
    >problems I find this hard to beleive.
    >
    >So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
    >from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    >Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Paul

    But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.
    Ken , Apr 10, 2007
  4. El Chippy

    CM Guest

    On 10 Apr, 18:38, Basil.Fawlty <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    > I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
    > be switched from one network to the other.
    >
    > Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
    > eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
    > had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
    > lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
    > me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
    > the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
    > problems I find this hard to beleive.
    >
    > So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
    > from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >
    > Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    Well Mr Fawlty which network have you changed from/to? I'm an
    electronics saleman...most in the trade are completely useless.
    Contact the phone company directly be they Telecom or Vodafone.
    CM, Apr 10, 2007
  5. El Chippy

    Rob Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >>
    >>I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my
    >>number to
    >>be switched from one network to the other.
    >>
    >>Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that
    >>was
    >>eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then
    >>I've
    >>had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
    >>lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman
    >>tells
    >>me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch.
    >>Given
    >>the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
    >>problems I find this hard to beleive.
    >>
    >>So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile
    >>number
    >>from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >>
    >>Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Paul

    > But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down
    > in OZZ.

    CDMA will still be around for at least 5 more years, maybe even 10. Look at
    the 025 network, which lasted for many additonal years.
    Rob, Apr 10, 2007
  6. El Chippy

    Guest

    On , , 10 Apr 2007 03:42:29 -0700, Re: Mobile Number Portability,
    "CM" <> wrote:

    >On 10 Apr, 18:38, Basil.Fawlty <> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >>
    >> I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
    >> be switched from one network to the other.
    >>
    >> Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
    >> eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
    >> had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
    >> lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
    >> me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
    >> the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
    >> problems I find this hard to beleive.
    >>
    >> So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
    >> from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >>
    >> Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Paul

    >Well Mr Fawlty which network have you changed from/to?

    Duh, it says "from Vodafone to Telecom" in his message, that
    gives me a clue, does it you?
    , Apr 10, 2007
  7. El Chippy

    Richard Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.

    So what? I will have a new phone before the network is turned off.

    Vodafone have pissed a lot of people off recently, and are still not
    able to shift a number from prepay to a plan. Telecom can.

    If you enjoy paying 89c a min to make a call during the day then stay
    with telecom, My $50-60 a month prepay usage will become $30-40 on flexi
    by my estimates. Thats worth moving for.

    Just waiting for a free cdma phone that supports number portability to
    fall into my lap. The 3 I have are not capable :( and the cheap ones at
    the telecom shops are not.
    Richard, Apr 10, 2007
  8. El Chippy

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:11:48 +1200, Ken wrote:
    Snip
    >>So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
    >>from Vodafone to Telecom?
    >>
    >>Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Paul

    >But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.

    To answer your question, which of course you didn't do to mine. I can get a new
    Samsung W531 and receive $300 from Telecom for doing so. As this is NZ not
    Australia I don't particularly care what is happening across the Tasman. If you
    have anything positive, knowlegdeable or interesting to add to this disscussion
    please contribute, otherwise sod off.

    Paul
    Basil.Fawlty, Apr 10, 2007
  9. El Chippy

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >>
    >> But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed
    >> down in OZZ.

    > So what? I will have a new phone before the network is turned off.
    >
    > Vodafone have pissed a lot of people off recently, and are still not
    > able to shift a number from prepay to a plan. Telecom can.
    >
    > If you enjoy paying 89c a min to make a call during the day then stay
    > with telecom, My $50-60 a month prepay usage will become $30-40 on flexi
    > by my estimates. Thats worth moving for.
    >
    > Just waiting for a free cdma phone that supports number portability to
    > fall into my lap. The 3 I have are not capable :( and the cheap ones at
    > the telecom shops are not.

    But all of the Telecom phones are cheep and mostly no brand name stuff
    they don't even have a lot of there T3G tm stuff! Its like the so called
    3G stuff died a death from the Monolopy that could not support it
    because they did not have the Products!

    Robert Cooze, Apr 10, 2007
  10. El Chippy

    XPD Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > and the cheap ones at the telecom shops are not.

    Really ? Thats not what we got told when picking up the cheapest phone in
    the shop for my wife a month ago..... :-/
    XPD, Apr 10, 2007
  11. El Chippy

    lolinternet Guest

    Basil.Fawlty wrote:
    > To answer your question, which of course you didn't do to mine. I can get a new
    > Samsung W531 and receive $300 from Telecom for doing so. As this is NZ not
    > Australia I don't particularly care what is happening across the Tasman. If you
    > have anything positive, knowlegdeable or interesting to add to this disscussion
    > please contribute, otherwise sod off.

    Telecom were quoted in media over the weekend that they see the 027 CDMA
    network being replaced in the fairly short term.

    Source:
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4012142a11275.html

    "He says customers who buy a CDMA-only phone today can rely on Telecom
    maintaining the CDMA network in New Zealand for a minimum of "more than
    two years and probably more likely four years"."
    lolinternet, Apr 10, 2007
  12. El Chippy

    Mutlley Guest

    lolinternet <> wrote:

    >Basil.Fawlty wrote:
    >> To answer your question, which of course you didn't do to mine. I can get a new
    >> Samsung W531 and receive $300 from Telecom for doing so. As this is NZ not
    >> Australia I don't particularly care what is happening across the Tasman. If you
    >> have anything positive, knowlegdeable or interesting to add to this disscussion
    >> please contribute, otherwise sod off.

    >Telecom were quoted in media over the weekend that they see the 027 CDMA
    >network being replaced in the fairly short term.
    >
    >Source:
    >http://www.stuff.co.nz/4012142a11275.html
    >
    >"He says customers who buy a CDMA-only phone today can rely on Telecom
    >maintaining the CDMA network in New Zealand for a minimum of "more than
    >two years and probably more likely four years"."

    That's why when we bought my mother in law a new fone for her
    birthday on Monday we bought a CDMA/GSM fone from Telecom. Good
    chance that the GSM side can be unlocked in the event that the CDMA
    network gets closed but I can't see that happening for 5 years after
    they announce it. There would be allot of pissed off people with
    expensive fones otherwise..
    Mutlley, Apr 10, 2007
  13. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >lolinternet <> wrote:

    (snip)
    >>"He says customers who buy a CDMA-only phone today can rely on Telecom
    >>maintaining the CDMA network in New Zealand for a minimum of "more than
    >>two years and probably more likely four years"."

    >That's why when we bought my mother in law a new fone for her
    >birthday on Monday we bought a CDMA/GSM fone from Telecom. Good
    >chance that the GSM side can be unlocked in the event that the CDMA
    >network gets closed but I can't see that happening for 5 years after
    >they announce it. There would be allot of pissed off people with
    >expensive fones otherwise..

    Does anyone have a mobile that's more than 2 years old ? From what I've
    seen/heard many/most are lost/broken well within 2 years. They appear to be
    rather more a commodity than a service. An interesting radio item about the
    police lost and found "room" said that phones are the number 2 item lost
    after wallets ... andn they seemed to have a big pile of them.
    So ... who is still using an "old" (read 2+ years) phone ?

    Note ... I am not a mobile phone owner and nor will I be unless the bribe is
    large indeed. I'm with the "herald" editor who said something like ...
    phones are for me to ring people, not for them to ring me. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2007
  14. El Chippy

    Richard Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > But all of the Telecom phones are cheep and mostly no brand name stuff
    > they don't even have a lot of there T3G tm stuff! Its like the so called
    > 3G stuff died a death from the Monolopy that could not support it
    > because they did not have the Products!

    No they are not cheap, they have the 2118 which is at a price I am
    prepared to spend on a phone, but it doesnt support portability acording
    to the sales guys, I might stretch to the pantech, since its the
    cheapest non clamshell capable one, but its an unknown to me how it will go.

    I really dont like spending any more on a phone then the cheapest they
    sell since they all do the same thing as far as I am concerned.
    Richard, Apr 11, 2007
  15. El Chippy

    Basil.Fawlty Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:16:46 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    Snip
    >Does anyone have a mobile that's more than 2 years old ? From what I've
    >seen/heard many/most are lost/broken well within 2 years. They appear to be
    >rather more a commodity than a service. An interesting radio item about the
    >police lost and found "room" said that phones are the number 2 item lost
    >after wallets ... andn they seemed to have a big pile of them.
    >So ... who is still using an "old" (read 2+ years) phone ?

    The Vodafone one I'm trying to get rid of is 6 years old!

    Basil.Fawlty, Apr 11, 2007
  16. On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:16:46 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have a mobile that's more than 2 years old ? From what I've
    >seen/heard many/most are lost/broken well within 2 years. They appear to be
    >rather more a commodity than a service. An interesting radio item about the
    >police lost and found "room" said that phones are the number 2 item lost
    >after wallets ... andn they seemed to have a big pile of them.
    >So ... who is still using an "old" (read 2+ years) phone ?
    >
    >Note ... I am not a mobile phone owner and nor will I be unless the bribe is
    >large indeed. I'm with the "herald" editor who said something like ...
    >phones are for me to ring people, not for them to ring me. :)

    I'm still using an Ericsson GH198 bought in Jan 1995, twelve years
    ago. I suppose you'd call it a mini brick :) Quite hard to lose.
    The battery packs take AA rechargeables, I last fitted new cells in
    2003.

    My son bought a Motorola in Dec last year, it is now stuffed due to
    moisture damage :-(

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Apr 11, 2007
  17. In article <>, wrote:
    >On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:16:46 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a mobile that's more than 2 years old ? From what I've
    >>seen/heard many/most are lost/broken well within 2 years. They appear to be
    >>rather more a commodity than a service. An interesting radio item about the
    >>police lost and found "room" said that phones are the number 2 item lost
    >>after wallets ... andn they seemed to have a big pile of them.
    >>So ... who is still using an "old" (read 2+ years) phone ?
    >>
    >>Note ... I am not a mobile phone owner and nor will I be unless the bribe is
    >>large indeed. I'm with the "herald" editor who said something like ...
    >>phones are for me to ring people, not for them to ring me. :)
    >>

    >I'm still using an Ericsson GH198 bought in Jan 1995, twelve years
    >ago. I suppose you'd call it a mini brick :) Quite hard to lose.
    >The battery packs take AA rechargeables, I last fitted new cells in
    >2003.

    That might account for it. The bit that breaks is (annecdotally) the
    battery. If you can replace them yourself, that would fix the problem ...
    and seems a very sane choice rather than having one of these ultra slim tiny
    phone integral batteries that cost more than the phone. :)

    >My son bought a Motorola in Dec last year, it is now stuffed due to
    >moisture damage :-(

    CGA ? Thumping the counter ? ... money back ? ... assuming he didn't go
    swimming with it of course. :)

    Looks like there are a few really old phones out there ... what about the
    "other side" ? ... how many phones have people gone through in a year ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2007
  18. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:46:41 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:19:54 +1300, El Chippy wrote:
    >
    >> Will this number portability spell the end of calling plans within
    >> networks ie Vodafone to Vodafone? I cant see how they expect everyone
    >> to check every number they might want to call to see which network it is
    >> on.

    > Good grief, if you want to call the person just do it!
    >
    > Also Vodaphone have call you mate for $6 per month.

    At $1.40 a minute? Not bloody likely. Some of us are on tight budgets
    for a variety of reasons.

    And calling one mate for $6 a month is fine, but some of us do have more
    than one friend (and some of them are real peeple even!) ;)
    El Chippy, Apr 11, 2007
  19. El Chippy

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Apr 11, 2007
  20. El Chippy

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-04-11, Bruce Sinclair <> wrote:

    >>My son bought a Motorola in Dec last year, it is now stuffed due to
    >>moisture damage :-(

    > CGA ? Thumping the counter ? ... money back ? ... assuming he didn't go
    > swimming with it of course. :)
    >
    > Looks like there are a few really old phones out there ... what about the
    > "other side" ? ... how many phones have people gone through in a year ?

    my phone survived the washing machine, I left it on the windowsill for a
    week to dry out.

    there's little in modern electronics that's damaged by water.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Apr 11, 2007