    it is hard to get access to telephone points let alone access to WiFi
    hotspots so a totally wireless solution would be excellent. Can anyone
    please advise me on best solution both, cost effective and hardware.

    Headtheball, Jul 21, 2004

  2. There are PCMCIA cellular cards. It's just a matter of subscribing to your
    cell provider's "data" plan, usually. Most cell phones can also be hooked up
    to a PC using a serial/USB cable, or Bluetooth. Of course this implies you
    are using the phone in an area covered by your provider (or one covered by
    their roaming agreements). Prices can be somewhat prohibitive though,
    depending on your needs.

    -BB

    "Headtheball" <> wrote in message
    > I am really confused, I saw a guy from the water utilities company today

    who
    > was working on a water leak outside of my house and he had a little laptop
    > called a Panasonic Toughbook. It was ruggedly built and had a little

    antenna
    > sticking out of the side. I asked the man if he was connected to the
    > internet and he said that he had a permanant connection, how, why,
    > what?????? I want it and I want it now. I have a centrino laptop and I

    was
    > of the impression that you had to be within the vacinity of a hotspot to

    be
    > able to connect wirelessely to the internet and that this was quite

    costly,
    > currently around £5 per hour I believe. What sort of connection does this
    > guy have, is it satellite? and paid for as a business package by the
    > utilities company? Is this kind of technology available to the ordinary

    man
    > in the street and if so where do I get it? I am often in remote places

    that

    Benoît Bousquet, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Buy a panasonic roughbook if it serves your purpose.

    Centrino based Laptops are WiFi based. The likes of the toughbook use a modem and connect via the cellular phone network.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Headtheball

    Christian Guest

    Most likely a modem connected to the cellular system. All the cell
    companies have PCMCIA card modems with the small antennas.

    Christian, Jul 26, 2004