Mobile internet data costs?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.

    I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    phone.

    Telecom charge 5c/kByte

    Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

    Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.

    I am not an Xtra customer.

    Any other factors to consider?

    Cheers

    Gordy

    Gordy, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <>
    exclaimed:

    >I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    >this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
    >
    >I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    >phone.
    >
    >Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >
    >Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
    >
    >Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
    >
    >I am not an Xtra customer.
    >
    >Any other factors to consider?

    If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    network will walk all over Telecoms.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Gordy

    David Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    >> this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
    >>
    >> I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    >> phone.
    >>
    >> Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >>
    >> Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
    >>
    >> Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
    >>
    >> I am not an Xtra customer.
    >>
    >> Any other factors to consider?
    >>

    > If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    > network will walk all over Telecoms.

    And if you plan on making voice calls, vodafone is crystal clear,
    telecom sounds like you're talking underwater. Vodafone also allows
    multipart text messages (>160 chars). And they have more/better/cheaper
    phones that will work overseas.

    David, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Gordy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    > network will walk all over Telecoms.

    On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
    bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.

    Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
    impressed.

    Stu Fleming, Feb 26, 2006
  5. T'was the Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300 when I remembered Gordy
    <> saying something like this:

    >Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >
    >Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

    I know if you sign onto their no term Mobilize 3MB plan, it's $10 for
    3MB, then $2 a MB after that, dropping prices way down.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 26, 2006
  6. On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:02:52 +1300, someone purporting to be Stu Fleming
    didst scrawl:

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    > On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
    > bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
    >
    > Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
    > impressed.

    So you're unhappy that a business won't wear customers who don't pay their
    bills?
    Sounds more like you're impressed that Telecom are slack with their debt
    processing - or they're so desperate to keep their customer count high
    that they'll ignore unpaid invoices for months.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:02:48 +1300, David <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    >>> this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    >>> phone.
    >>>
    >>> Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >>>
    >>> Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
    >>>
    >>> Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
    >>>
    >>> I am not an Xtra customer.
    >>>
    >>> Any other factors to consider?
    >>>

    >> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >And if you plan on making voice calls, vodafone is crystal clear,
    >telecom sounds like you're talking underwater. Vodafone also allows
    >multipart text messages (>160 chars). And they have more/better/cheaper
    >phones that will work overseas.

    Actually, I was handed someone's Telecom cellphone on Friday, and was
    astounded at the low sound quality. As this person worked for a phone
    company, they had the latest and greatest phone, too.

    There REALLY is a difference in call quality.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:02:52 +1300, Stu Fleming <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
    >bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
    >
    >Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
    >impressed.

    What pisses me off, is that our bill is automatically paid on the due
    date. If this falls on a weekend, it gets paid on the following
    Monday.

    However, I've rung up twice now in the weekend to add services, and
    haven't been able to because there was an "outstanding account", even
    though it was literally one day, and due to their own payment system!!

    Fred Dagg, Feb 26, 2006
  9. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:34:49 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> exclaimed:

    >T'was the Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300 when I remembered Gordy
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >>
    >>Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)

    >I know if you sign onto their no term Mobilize 3MB plan, it's $10 for
    >3MB, then $2 a MB after that, dropping prices way down.

    Or $19 for 15MB gives us all the bandwidth we need (and we are
    permanently connected for smartphone applications, email, and calendar
    sharing).

    Fred Dagg, Feb 26, 2006
  10. Gordy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > So you're unhappy that a business won't wear customers who don't pay their
    > bills?

    Not at all. But if my payment is in their system, and their rep is
    promising me a better service than Telecom, I don't expect to get cut
    off, no.

    > Sounds more like you're impressed that Telecom are slack with their debt
    > processing - or they're so desperate to keep their customer count high
    > that they'll ignore unpaid invoices for months.

    Hmmm. Sounds like my TelstraClear account with the $6K outstanding
    that's been going for 9 months or so...

    Stu Fleming, Feb 26, 2006
  11. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:

    > Hmmm. Sounds like my TelstraClear account with the $6K outstanding
    > that's been going for 9 months or so...

    Ive got one from my brief spell as a TC homeline customer thats still arriving
    (2 bills) each month.

    I still have had no answer from there customer service email people on 3 issues
    I had.

    I will continue to email every month till they take it to collections, where I
    will advise them that the account has disputed amounts on it and in general
    waste as much of TCs time as possible.

    Richard, Feb 26, 2006
  12. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:02:52 +1300, Stu Fleming <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
    >bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
    >
    >Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
    >impressed.

    Bloody hell!

    We switched over a couple of our work phones 3 weeks ago, and they
    sent out the first bill almost immediately (7/2/2006).

    Apparently it was due on the 24th of this month (last Friday), even
    though every other business known to man is paid on the 20th of the
    next month, but get this: all staff received a "your account is
    overdue, pay it now or restrictions will be placed on your account"
    text messages today, the next business day after their account was
    apparently due!!

    So, not only do they not provide the same standard business terms as
    every other business, they also send out snotty TXTs to the phone
    users without delay. I rang them and said that those users do not pay
    the accounts, and that we did not appreciate the tone of their TXT
    messages, given that we had only received the bill, and they said that
    it's automated, and they cannot stop the TXTs going out.

    Fucking frustrating.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 27, 2006
  13. Gordy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:02:52 +1300, someone purporting to be Stu
    > Fleming didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >>> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >> On the other hand, Telecom never disconnected me, even when an unpaid
    >> bill was accidentally approaching the 90 day range.
    >>
    >> Vodafone are a little bit itchy on that trigger finger. Not hugely
    >> impressed.

    > So you're unhappy that a business won't wear customers who don't pay
    > their bills?
    > Sounds more like you're impressed that Telecom are slack with their
    > debt processing - or they're so desperate to keep their customer
    > count high that they'll ignore unpaid invoices for months.

    You don't *have* to look at it that way. You can change your viewpoint
    slightly and think that, if you have a reasonable history with a company of
    always paying your bills that you can expect that they'll cut you some
    slack.

    When I had Jetsream and cash-flow problems I liked the fact that Telecom
    asked to be paid by the 19th (I usually got the bill on the 4th) would let
    me get a month or so behind before getting bolshi, it's good to have some
    'wiggle room' when you need it. (Granted I'd been a customer of theirs for
    20+ years and used to just pay $500 in advance every so often (when I was on
    dial-up, there was no ADSL then) and ignore bills until I'd run out of
    credit). To me that's a good trait in a business, a courtesy.

    Orcon on the other hand gave 10 days to pay from the *time* of sending their
    invoice out an, on the one occaision I didn't pay immediately, after being
    with them for 12 months and paying on the day, I got a nasty email exactly
    10 days after the invoice. (And yet their invoice has places for "Current",
    "30 days", "60 days" and "90 days" debt).

    I'm yet to see how Actrix deal with bills. I'm good with money, or as good
    as I can be with my limited income. I'll be interested to see how Actrix
    deal with it if I *have* to get a little behind in paying a bill. As much as
    I hate having to do so sometimes it's unavoidable. A large part of how I
    look at a business is how they handle (slightly) overdue accounts. To me,
    allowing a little wriggle room is good customer relations, a big plus for a
    business, especially when there is plenty of competition.

    I have an A+ / strong credit rating with Standard and Poors, I'm not about
    to start not paying bills at this stage of my life. However, I don't need to
    be menaced if I'm a day or two late in paying a bill. If I am I already know
    about it and am doing my damnedest to get it sorted.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 27, 2006
  14. Richard wrote:

    > Stu Fleming wrote:

    > > Hmmm. Sounds like my TelstraClear account with the $6K outstanding
    > > that's been going for 9 months or so...

    > Ive got one from my brief spell as a TC homeline customer thats still arriving
    > (2 bills) each month.
    > I still have had no answer from there customer service email people on 3 issues
    > I had.
    >
    > I will continue to email every month till they take it to collections, where I
    > will advise them that the account has disputed amounts on it and in general
    > waste as much of TCs time as possible.

    We were in a similar situation at work, with a large bill that had been
    outstanding since before the organisation changed ownership. Our
    account manager was unable to justify the outstanding amount, and
    expected us to just take their word that we owed them all that money!

    TelstraClear's billing system is by far the most useless that I have
    ever encountered anywhere.

    alastair.geek.nz, Feb 27, 2006
  15. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:36:24 +1300, Gordy <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    >>this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
    >>
    >>I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    >>phone.
    >>
    >>Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >>
    >>Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
    >>
    >>Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
    >>
    >>I am not an Xtra customer.
    >>
    >>Any other factors to consider?
    >>

    > If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    > network will walk all over Telecoms.

    Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
    speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:

    UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
    EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 27, 2006
  16. "Gordy" <> wrote in message

    > I have been using a Telecom pre-paid WAP phone to surf the internet
    > this week-end. Good fun when you are away from home.
    >
    > I don't know whether to get myself a Telecom or Vodafone prepaid
    > phone.
    >
    > Telecom charge 5c/kByte
    >
    > Vodafone charge 1c/kByte. (10c/10kByte)
    >
    > Seems Vodafone is 5 times better for casual data usage.
    >
    > I am not an Xtra customer.
    >
    > Any other factors to consider?

    You don't need Xtra to use T3G. They have data plans, as Vodafone do.

    When you say mobile Internet are you only talking about WAP? If this is so,
    remember that Telecom charges much more for any non-Telecom WAP sites,
    unlike Vodafone.

    However if you are talking about Internet stuff such as web browsing,
    e-mail, and IM, then both offer reasonable data plans that are ok.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 27, 2006
  17. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
    > speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:
    >
    > UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
    > EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

    I find that vodafone coverage completely whipped telecom when I had an 027, I
    would often enter a building and lose telecom signal whereas the vodafone was
    still coming in strong. - Even suburbs are worse off with telecom. Vodafone seem
    to have many sites installed down to the street level in places, whereas there
    are whole valleys around here missing out on telecom coverage.

    Richard, Feb 27, 2006
  18. Gordy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:55:26 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
    >speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:
    >
    >UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
    >EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

    However, in practice, we evaluated both and found Vodafone's to be
    superior. I guess there are a combination of factors. I know Vodafone
    uses some pretty sophisticated compression (because it killed syncing
    3G-enabled PDAs to our Exchange Server over their 3G).

    Also I'm guessing the above is in perfect conditions and probably
    burst-speed, whereas Vodafone's would consistently be faster in most
    of the "good, not great" reception areas, and more consistent. Well,
    that's our experience, anyway.

    In regards to coverage, that is a fable. Telecom has coverage of
    surrounding sea areas, but Vodafone covers more land mass, according
    to the sales droids and coverage maps. Since I'm not a sailer,
    Vodafone is the natural choice, based on coverage.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 28, 2006
  19. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
    >> speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:
    >>
    >> UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
    >> EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

    > I find that vodafone coverage completely whipped telecom when I had an
    > 027, I would often enter a building and lose telecom signal whereas the
    > vodafone was still coming in strong. - Even suburbs are worse off with
    > telecom. Vodafone seem to have many sites installed down to the street
    > level in places, whereas there are whole valleys around here missing out
    > on telecom coverage.

    I guess this was voice or GPRS, right? You will notice that the same does
    not apply to UMTS, simply because the 2100MHz band is not as good as the
    900MHz band used by GMS/GPRS.

    Coverage under this circunstances requires more cell towers and different
    topology. AFAIK there are still patchy areas of UMTS in AKL.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 28, 2006
  20. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:55:26 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >>>>
    >>> If you're prepared to spend a bit getting a 3G phone, Vodafone's
    >>> network will walk all over Telecoms.

    >>Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
    >>speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:
    >>
    >>UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
    >>EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

    > However, in practice, we evaluated both and found Vodafone's to be
    > superior. I guess there are a combination of factors. I know Vodafone
    > uses some pretty sophisticated compression (because it killed syncing
    > 3G-enabled PDAs to our Exchange Server over their 3G).
    >
    > Also I'm guessing the above is in perfect conditions and probably
    > burst-speed, whereas Vodafone's would consistently be faster in most
    > of the "good, not great" reception areas, and more consistent. Well,
    > that's our experience, anyway.
    >
    > In regards to coverage, that is a fable. Telecom has coverage of
    > surrounding sea areas, but Vodafone covers more land mass, according
    > to the sales droids and coverage maps. Since I'm not a sailer,
    > Vodafone is the natural choice, based on coverage.

    I actually use both with my Winows Mobile devices.

    For e-mail access, or synchronisation to an Exchange Server, one or the
    other will provide the same really. Just a single connection. Latency on
    UMTS though is much higher and when it comes to multiple connections (such
    as web browsing or some web services) then you will notice an impact.

    As for the speed, I measured both in the Wellington CBD and I constantly get
    better results on the Telecom device.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 28, 2006