    do that.

    Thanks in advance

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 21, 2006

  2. "brazen" <> wrote in message
    news:441f6a4c$...
    > Hi there,
    > I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    > get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    > maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit of
    > guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.
    > Are there any travelling reps out there that have views as to which
    > company provides the best coverage in terms of smaller rural towns and
    > areas? I suppose the bonus of Telecom is the mobile hotspots - I dont
    > think Vodafone do that.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Gay

    Gidday Gay,
    I'm based in Central Otago, travel extensively within Otago/Southland and
    frequently use a telecom t3g card and account.
    This works ok in most towns (bigger than say 200(?) people, can't comment on
    Vodaphone

    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 21, 2006

  3. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >> I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    >> get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    >> maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit
    >> of guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.
    >> Are there any travelling reps out there that have views as to which
    >> company provides the best coverage in terms of smaller rural towns and
    >> areas? I suppose the bonus of Telecom is the mobile hotspots - I dont
    >> think Vodafone do that.
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Gay

    > Gidday Gay,
    > I'm based in Central Otago, travel extensively within Otago/Southland and
    > frequently use a telecom t3g card and account.
    > This works ok in most towns (bigger than say 200(?) people, can't comment
    > on Vodaphone

    Ah you beauty, SK - thanks

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 21, 2006
  4. brazen

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    brazen wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    > get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    > maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit of
    > guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.
    >
    > Are there any travelling reps out there that have views as to which
    > company provides the best coverage in terms of smaller rural towns and
    > areas? I suppose the bonus of Telecom is the mobile hotspots - I dont
    > think Vodafone do that.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gay

    Hi Gay, I know you asked about the South Island but if it's of any use I
    travel round the upper North Island, from about Taupo to the Far North. My
    "Fast Eddy card" (Telecom T3G) works well in most towns. Just a few places
    in the remote Far North that the performance is a bit slow.

    Hope this is of some help for you.

    Cheers,
    Mackin

    Mackin_NZ, Mar 21, 2006
  5. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Mackin_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    >> get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    >> maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit
    >> of
    >> guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.
    >>
    >> Are there any travelling reps out there that have views as to which
    >> company provides the best coverage in terms of smaller rural towns and
    >> areas? I suppose the bonus of Telecom is the mobile hotspots - I dont
    >> think Vodafone do that.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Gay

    > Hi Gay, I know you asked about the South Island but if it's of any use I
    > travel round the upper North Island, from about Taupo to the Far North.
    > My
    > "Fast Eddy card" (Telecom T3G) works well in most towns. Just a few
    > places
    > in the remote Far North that the performance is a bit slow.
    >
    > Hope this is of some help for you.

    It is, Mackin - thanks very much. We'll be going up north too. I said SI cos
    I know from experience that its a lot more scant down here - we have no
    coverage at all where I am so I'm going to have to buy a cellphone too
    (havent had one for 8 years!).

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 21, 2006
  6. brazen wrote:

    > I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    > get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    > maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit of
    > guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.

    Are you planning to access the Internet via a PCMCIA device, or a phone
    handset? If the latter, then you may be better off on Vodafone because
    they have a much better selection of Bluetooth enabled handsets, and
    interfacing your phone with your computer using Bluetooth is much less
    hassle than using a cable.

    alastair.geek.nz, Mar 21, 2006
  7. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >
    >> I need to do some website demo's around the South Island and will need to
    >> get a laptop and a mobile internet connect card. Trouble is the coverage
    >> maps on Telecom and Vodaphone is pretty sketchy so it seems to be a bit
    >> of
    >> guesswork as to which company has the best coverage nationwide.

    > Are you planning to access the Internet via a PCMCIA device, or a phone
    > handset? If the latter, then you may be better off on Vodafone because
    > they have a much better selection of Bluetooth enabled handsets, and
    > interfacing your phone with your computer using Bluetooth is much less
    > hassle than using a cable.

    PCMCIA I guess - I do need to get a phone too, but 90% of the time mobile
    phones are useless to us as we dont have coverage in the office. The prime
    aim is to demo a website, so I thought that a bluetooth bells & whistles
    might be overkill.

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 21, 2006