Mobile Celeron, Celeron M, Pentium M - Please explain

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by desdog, May 23, 2005.

  1. desdog

    desdog Guest

    I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.

    1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    3. is there anything to avoid?

    I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.

    At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....

    DD
    desdog, May 23, 2005

  2. desdog

    CSE Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:14:13 +1200, "desdog" <> wrote:

    >I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    >bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    >a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    >I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    >holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >
    >1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >3. is there anything to avoid?
    >
    >I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >$1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    >screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    >I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >
    >At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    >CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >
    >DD

    Your Price Range is far to low in what you need, some were in the $3000-$4000
    would be more like it.

    Also note not all Laptops can be used on a Bed, due to the way the heat is
    extracted..

    Also note the Hard Drives are SLOW and SMALL.
    CSE, May 23, 2005

  3. desdog

    shannon Guest

    desdog wrote:
    > I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    > bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    > a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    > I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    > holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    > between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >
    > 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    > 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    > 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >
    > I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    > $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    > similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    > they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    > screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    > I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    > CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >
    > DD

    For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html
    shannon, May 23, 2005
  4. desdog

    CSE Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:57:24 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >desdog wrote:
    >> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    >> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    >> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    >> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    >> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>
    >> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>
    >> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    >> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    >> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>
    >> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    >> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>
    >> DD
    >>

    >For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    This is Not a MAC News Group..

    Plus ZERO support around here..
    CSE, May 23, 2005
  5. desdog

    MarkH Guest

    CSE <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:14:13 +1200, "desdog" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the
    >>run, bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get
    >>is burning a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer
    >>or video editor I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but
    >>looking at laptops - holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems
    >>to be little comparison between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling
    >>to make a decision.
    >>
    >>1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >>2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >>3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>
    >>I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc)
    >>- $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz)
    >>with similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell
    >>before and they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite
    >>taken like the screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will
    >>measure up. Whats more, I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise
    >>waiting.
    >>
    >>At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate
    >>the CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with
    >>anticipation.....
    >>
    >>DD

    > Your Price Range is far to low in what you need, some were in the
    > $3000-$4000 would be more like it.

    Rogers's stupidity never ends!

    Either laptop you mention would easily handle your stated requirements.
    Personally I would tend towards the Pentium M for the better performance.
    But here is a comparison for you:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040309/

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, May 23, 2005
  6. desdog

    Andrew Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > desdog wrote:
    >
    >> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    >> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >> burning
    >> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >> editor
    >> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >> laptops -
    >> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>
    >> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>
    >> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    >> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >> more,
    >> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>
    >> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    >> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>
    >> DD
    >>

    > For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    > http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    They are definatly a good option, im not a mac user, have not really
    touched them due to thier high prices, however ive noticed recently that
    thier pricing is MUCH MUCH better then they used to, they are becoming
    more popular now
    Andrew, May 23, 2005
  7. desdog

    Nova Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > desdog wrote:
    >
    >> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    >> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >> burning
    >> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >> editor
    >> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >> laptops -
    >> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>
    >> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>
    >> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    >> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >> more,
    >> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>
    >> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    >> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>
    >> DD
    >>

    > For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    > http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    from what he mentioned one of the machines he mentioned sounds ideal,
    also with the far larger range of support in the PC world.
    Nova, May 23, 2005
  8. desdog

    Nova Guest

    desdog wrote:
    > I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    > bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    > a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    > I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    > holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    > between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >
    > 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    > 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    > 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >
    > I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    > $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    > similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    > they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    > screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    > I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    > CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >
    > DD

    I just got a Asus M600R in the last few weeks with similar needs to
    yours. It was 1699, pentium-m 1600, 15.4inch widescreen, 40gig drive.
    I upgraded the memory on it myself after i got it, so now it has
    512+256(system) ddr-333. - 128megs for the ati graphics card.

    (it came with 256megs installed in the expansion so i swapped that for a
    512meg chip)

    Those pentium M's have 2 megs L2 cachem they are pretty speedy... you
    will be able to play some games on them if you decide you want to, I
    have no regrets about the one i got, the widescreen is great, obviously
    for playing dvd's its awesome.. but yeah the laptops in that class will
    esaily do what you are requiring.

    Lots of these laptops being sold off very around the same price now..
    all end of line models etc but they do the job fine.
    Nova, May 23, 2005
  9. desdog

    desdog Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > desdog wrote:
    >> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    >> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >> burning
    >> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >> editor
    >> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >> laptops -
    >> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>
    >> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>
    >> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    >> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >> more,
    >> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>
    >> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    >> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>
    >> DD
    >>

    > I just got a Asus M600R in the last few weeks with similar needs to yours.
    > It was 1699, pentium-m 1600, 15.4inch widescreen, 40gig drive.
    > I upgraded the memory on it myself after i got it, so now it has
    > 512+256(system) ddr-333. - 128megs for the ati graphics card.
    >
    > (it came with 256megs installed in the expansion so i swapped that for a
    > 512meg chip)
    >
    > Those pentium M's have 2 megs L2 cachem they are pretty speedy... you will
    > be able to play some games on them if you decide you want to, I have no
    > regrets about the one i got, the widescreen is great, obviously for
    > playing dvd's its awesome.. but yeah the laptops in that class will
    > esaily do what you are requiring.
    >
    > Lots of these laptops being sold off very around the same price now.. all
    > end of line models etc but they do the job fine.

    Thanks for the input thus far - much appreciated!!

    Cheers, Des
    desdog, May 23, 2005
  10. Nova wrote:
    *snip*
    > Those pentium M's have 2 megs L2 cachem they are pretty speedy...

    only the later ones have 2Mbytes of cache... there is plenty of old
    stock sitting around in the shops with only 1MB... not that the 1MB one
    is slow, just that on some applications you may notice, some, not all by
    anymeans.

    > but yeah the laptops in that class will
    > esaily do what you are requiring.

    indeed.

    > Lots of these laptops being sold off very around the same price now..
    > all end of line models etc but they do the job fine.

    These may be the ones I'm talking about above.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2005
  11. > This is Not a MAC News Group..

    > Plus ZERO support around here..

    Stop being such a bully.

    Zero support ? What, do you think your out of date and incorrect
    postings qualifies as support to someone ? hahahahahaha
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, May 23, 2005
  12. desdog

    shannon Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > shannon wrote:
    >> desdog wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the
    >>> run,
    >>> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >>> burning
    >>> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >>> editor
    >>> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >>> laptops -
    >>> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >>> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>>
    >>> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >>> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >>> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >>> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >>> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >>> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like
    >>> the
    >>> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >>> more,
    >>> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>>
    >>> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate
    >>> the
    >>> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>>
    >>> DD
    >>>

    >> For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >> http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    > from what he mentioned one of the machines he mentioned sounds ideal, also
    > with the far larger range of support in the PC world.

    Sorry, not interested in a mindless platform war with bigotted tossers.
    shannon, May 23, 2005
  13. desdog

    shannon Guest

    "CSE" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:57:24 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >
    >>desdog wrote:
    >>> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the
    >>> run,
    >>> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >>> burning
    >>> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >>> editor
    >>> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >>> laptops -
    >>> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >>> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>>
    >>> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >>> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >>> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >>> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >>> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >>> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like
    >>> the
    >>> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >>> more,
    >>> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>>
    >>> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate
    >>> the
    >>> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>>
    >>> DD
    >>>

    >>For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >>http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    > This is Not a MAC News Group..
    >
    > Plus ZERO support around here..

    Most people think you are a wanker when you make stupid post like this Woger
    shannon, May 23, 2005
  14. desdog

    Nova Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>shannon wrote:

    >>>For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >>>http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    >>from what he mentioned one of the machines he mentioned sounds ideal, also
    >>with the far larger range of support in the PC world.

    > Sorry, not interested in a mindless platform war with bigotted tossers.

    oh, I'm sorry if I upset you which is obvious from your outburst..
    relax a bit you'll live longer :)
    Nova, May 23, 2005
  15. desdog

    Nova Guest

    desdog wrote:
    > I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the run,
    > bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is burning
    > a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video editor
    > I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at laptops -
    > holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    > between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >
    > 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    > 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    > 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >
    > I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    > $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    > similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    > they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like the
    > screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats more,
    > I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate the
    > CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >
    > DD

    You might want to check out the ASUS M6000R, just after reading another
    post in here about how some pentium-m's only have 1 meg of cache.
    This ASUS model is an end of line product but it does have 2 megs of L2..
    http://www.edencomputer.co.nz/c.aspx

    You will see one in that list for $1,679.00 thats excluding..
    its 15"4 widescreen
    512 megs
    XP
    wireless g
    4 usb
    pentium m 1.6
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9100 IGP,
    DVD+CDRW
    card reader

    well actually you can read all the stats here
    http://www.edencomputer.co.nz/p.aspx?325731

    those ASUS have a 2 year international warranty and if you look around
    you might find it even cheaper at another shop

    anyway good luck with your decision :)
    Nova, May 23, 2005
  16. desdog

    shannon Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> desdog wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm after a reasonable laptop, more for Internet connectivity on the
    >>> run,
    >>> bit of office stuff etc etc. The best workout I expect it to get is
    >>> burning
    >>> a few CD's, listening to mp3's or watching a DVD - a gamer or video
    >>> editor
    >>> I'm not. I'm up with the play on the desktop scene but looking at
    >>> laptops -
    >>> holy shit I'm confused. Worse still, there seems to be little comparison
    >>> between mobile and desktop so I'm struggling to make a decision.
    >>>
    >>> 1. what is likely to suit my needs CPU wise?
    >>> 2. what sort of coin am I looking at?
    >>> 3. is there anything to avoid?
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently looking at the Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pentium M 1.5GHz etc) -
    >>> $1800 online vs an Acer Aspire 3503 @ $1650 (Mobile Celeron 1.5GHz) with
    >>> similar specs across the rest of the machine. I've had Dell before and
    >>> they're fine so no issues there. However, I'm really quite taken like
    >>> the
    >>> screen on this Acer and don't know if the Dell will measure up. Whats
    >>> more,
    >>> I can't have the Dell tomorrow and I despise waiting.
    >>>
    >>> At the end of the day, I'm after some pointers that can differentiate
    >>> the
    >>> CPU's for me. I sit here before nz.comp waiting with anticipation.....
    >>>
    >>> DD
    >>>

    >> For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >> http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    > They are definatly a good option, im not a mac user, have not really
    > touched them due to thier high prices, however ive noticed recently that
    > thier pricing is MUCH MUCH better then they used to, they are becoming
    > more popular now

    I'll use anything that gets the job done, and for a general purpose
    portable they have a lot of desirable features that low cost Windows
    portables economise on.
    Line in, line out, Firewire, Wifi, long battery life, big software
    bundle. They are a little portable multimedia studio in a really nice
    package.
    I'm lugging round a Dell Latitude at the moment. and I'm seriously
    considering downsizing to a 12" ibook
    shannon, May 23, 2005
  17. desdog

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:30:20 +1200, "shannon" <> wrote:

    >"CSE" <> wrote in message

    >>>For what you want to do, an iBook sounds ideal
    >>>http://www.magnummac.co.nz/iBook/iBook.html

    >> This is Not a MAC News Group..
    >>
    >> Plus ZERO support around here..
    >>

    >Most people think you are a wanker when you make stupid post like this Woger

    Yes but I am a Nice Wanker..
    CSE, May 24, 2005
  18. desdog

    Impossible Guest

    > Nova wrote:
    > *snip*
    >> Those pentium M's have 2 megs L2 cachem they are pretty speedy...

    > only the later ones have 2Mbytes of cache... there is plenty of old
    > stock sitting around in the shops with only 1MB... not that the 1MB
    > one is slow, just that on some applications you may notice, some,
    > not all by anymeans.

    Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700 series
    processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older -- though
    the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
    older type may well be a little less expensive.

    Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to 770.
    Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

    Unbelievably confusing, I know, but there you go.
    Impossible, May 24, 2005
  19. On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:07:06 +1200, CSE <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:30:20 +1200, "shannon" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"CSE" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is Not a MAC News Group..
    >>>
    >>> Plus ZERO support around here..
    >>>

    >>Most people think you are a wanker when you make stupid post like this Woger
    >>

    > Yes but I am a Nice Wanker..

    A hairy-palmed do-it-yourslfer, even!

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... There's a hairy-handed gent who's run amok in Kent. Lately he's been
    overheard in Mayfair ......
    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 24, 2005
  20. desdog

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Nova wrote:
    >> *snip*
    >>> Those pentium M's have 2 megs L2 cachem they are pretty speedy...

    >> only the later ones have 2Mbytes of cache... there is plenty of old
    >> stock sitting around in the shops with only 1MB... not that the 1MB
    >> one is slow, just that on some applications you may notice, some,
    >> not all by anymeans.

    > Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700 series
    > processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older -- though
    > the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
    > older type may well be a little less expensive.
    >
    > Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to 770.

    Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.

    > Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

    Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

    > Unbelievably confusing, I know, but there you go.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/index.html

    "In a direct comparison between the old Pentium M 1.7 GHz and the new Dothan
    with 2.0 GHz, the newcomer clearly manages to gain the upper hand. In some
    of the benchmarks, the mobile CPU produced with 90-nm technology is up to
    22% faster. Even if you only consider the difference in clock speed between
    the two CPUs, Dothan still offers a 5% advantage.
    The results of the battery life benchmarks show the benefits of 90-nm
    process technology. The two test systems were identical, except for the
    CPUs, and gave nearly the same results."
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 24, 2005