    existing plans to transfer.
    Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    penalty payment.

    Graymond, Jun 1, 2006

  2. "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    > payment.
    > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    > existing plans to transfer.
    > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    > penalty payment.

    I think the Telecom plan is also only for data cards, not including the
    Apache or Harrier Pocket PC

    I thought of changing my plan (I am not in a contract) but was advised it's
    not available on my Apache...
    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Jun 2, 2006

  3. Graymond

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    >A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    > payment.
    > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    > existing plans to transfer.
    > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    > penalty payment.

    Tell them if you have to pay a penaly, it won't be to sign up with another
    plan, it'll be to change telcos.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Kent Smith wrote:
    > "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    >> A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    >> as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    >> them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    >> existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    >> payment.
    >> I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    >> Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    >> existing plans to transfer.
    >> Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    >> penalty payment.
    >>

    > Tell them if you have to pay a penaly, it won't be to sign up with another
    > plan, it'll be to change telcos.
    >

    > -KENT

    Yea.. say that vodafone are offering the same plan details... i will
    move to them if you charge me a penalty

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 2, 2006
  5. Graymond

    Graymond Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > >A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    > > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    > > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    > > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    > > payment.
    > > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    > > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    > > existing plans to transfer.
    > > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    > > penalty payment.
    > >

    > I think the Telecom plan is also only for data cards, not including the
    > Apache or Harrier Pocket PC
    >
    > I thought of changing my plan (I am not in a contract) but was advised it's
    > not available on my Apache...
    > --
    >
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    > www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    > Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    > Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    yes you are correct, it is only for data card, but the card is free for
    a 2 year contract.

    Graymond, Jun 2, 2006
  6. T'was the Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:05:53 +1200 when I remembered Andrew
    Lambert <> saying something like this:

    >Yea.. say that vodafone are offering the same plan details... i will
    >move to them if you charge me a penalty

    I never knew they weren't upgrading existing customers, that's not a
    very good deal. You could point out the fact that Vodafone are?
    Another bonus is that the Vodafone plans are available on any account
    plan, not just plans for say, data cards.

    Speaking of mobile broadband, I haven't seen any ExpressCard datacards
    yet. I wonder when they'll be out. Actually, I haven't seen any
    ExpressCard anythings yet. What's the advantage over PCMCIA?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Graymond

    Graymond Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:

    > "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > >A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    > > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    > > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    > > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    > > payment.
    > > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    > > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    > > existing plans to transfer.
    > > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    > > penalty payment.
    > >

    > Tell them if you have to pay a penaly, it won't be to sign up with another
    > plan, it'll be to change telcos.
    >

    > -KENT

    The problem is that the penalty to terminate my current contract is
    about $600 + but I only wish to change, not terminate, obviously
    Telecom are more interested in the mighty $ and not thier customers.
    Ray

    Graymond, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Graymond

    Vista Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message

    > Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    >> >A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    >> > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    >> > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    >> > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    >> > payment.
    >> > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    >> > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    >> > existing plans to transfer.
    >> > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    >> > penalty payment.
    >> >

    >> Tell them if you have to pay a penaly, it won't be to sign up with
    >> another
    >> plan, it'll be to change telcos.
    >>

    >> -KENT

    > The problem is that the penalty to terminate my current contract is
    > about $600 + but I only wish to change, not terminate, obviously
    > Telecom are more interested in the mighty $ and not thier customers.
    > Ray

    Thats the problem with contracts. If you got a free modem card, maybe you
    could suggest paying for that, and then asking them to change your plan to
    the cheaper one. It is probably the price of the 'free' modem which is why
    the cancellation fee is so high. This is a simialr thing with mobile phone
    contracts

    Vista, Jun 3, 2006
  9. Graymond

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-06-02, Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:05:53 +1200 when I remembered Andrew
    > Lambert <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Yea.. say that vodafone are offering the same plan details... i will
    >>move to them if you charge me a penalty

    > I never knew they weren't upgrading existing customers, that's not a
    > very good deal. You could point out the fact that Vodafone are?
    > Another bonus is that the Vodafone plans are available on any account
    > plan, not just plans for say, data cards.
    >
    > Speaking of mobile broadband, I haven't seen any ExpressCard datacards
    > yet. I wonder when they'll be out. Actually, I haven't seen any
    > ExpressCard anythings yet. What's the advantage over PCMCIA?

    PCMCIA PC-Card is based around parallel ATA which is becoming obsolete
    with the increasing popularity of Serial ATA

    PCMCIA ExpressCard replaces that with specially shaped pci-express and
    usb connectors

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jun 3, 2006
  10. Graymond

    Graymond Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Kent Smith wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > >> >
    > >> Tell them if you have to pay a penaly, it won't be to sign up with
    > >> another
    > >> plan, it'll be to change telcos.
    > >>

    > >> -KENT

    > > The problem is that the penalty to terminate my current contract is
    > > about $600 + but I only wish to change, not terminate, obviously
    > > Telecom are more interested in the mighty $ and not thier customers.
    > > Ray
    > >

    > Thats the problem with contracts. If you got a free modem card, maybe you
    > could suggest paying for that, and then asking them to change your plan to
    > the cheaper one. It is probably the price of the 'free' modem which is why
    > the cancellation fee is so high. This is a simialr thing with mobile phone
    > contracts

    I had thought of paying for the card, but the new plan actually
    includes the card for free also with a two year contract. I have learnt
    a lot from all of this, and that is that all the negative things I have
    read about Telecom appear to be true. I also have noted that Vodafone
    appear to have better stronger signals in rural areas

    Graymond, Jun 4, 2006
  11. Graymond

    Graymond Guest

    Graymond wrote:

    > A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    > as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    > them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    > existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    > payment.
    > I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    > Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    > existing plans to transfer.
    > Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    > penalty payment.

    Update..
    Telecom has had a slight change of heart, rather than pay a $700
    penalty today I have changed to the 1Gig for a payment of $212, so a
    saving overall of $90 a year plus a 5 times increase in data download.

    Graymond, Jun 7, 2006
  12. Graymond

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > Graymond wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of months back I signed up with Telecom Mobile Broadband 200
    >> as I was going into a mobile lifestyle, shortly after signing up I see
    >> them advertising 1Gig a month for $49 but for new subscribers only,
    >> existing plans would have to be terminated and may incurr a penalty
    >> payment.
    >> I discovered that the Telecom plan was in response to and copy of a
    >> Vodafone promotion, the diferrence being that Vodafone was allowing
    >> existing plans to transfer.
    >> Query, has anyone manage to change plans with Telecom and not incur a
    >> penalty payment.

    > Update..
    > Telecom has had a slight change of heart, rather than pay a $700
    > penalty today I have changed to the 1Gig for a payment of $212, so a
    > saving overall of $90 a year plus a 5 times increase in data download.

    Just remember to move when you're contract expires. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jun 9, 2006
  13. Graymond

    Jo Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message

    > yes you are correct, it is only for data card, but the card is free for
    > a 2 year contract.

    No, you signed up for a two year contract to get a data card which is 100%
    subsidised for the 2 yr term. Never ceases to amaze me how many people think
    its actually free. If it was, there would not be the penalty clause.

    Jo, Jun 9, 2006
  14. Graymond

    Graymond Guest

    Jo wrote:

    > "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > yes you are correct, it is only for data card, but the card is free for
    > > a 2 year contract.
    > >

    > No, you signed up for a two year contract to get a data card which is 100%
    > subsidised for the 2 yr term. Never ceases to amaze me how many people think
    > its actually free. If it was, there would not be the penalty clause.

    You may very well be correct and if so then the monthly payment of $55
    includes payment for th card plus payment for the 1gig of data ?? What
    I find a bit over the top is that if the penalty payment relates to the
    cost of the card then at $700.00 it's a very expensive card, I have a
    feeling that the cards are worth about $200.00 but I could be wrong, I
    do believe I was wrong once before back in the 1950's

    Graymond, Jun 10, 2006
  15. Graymond

    Jo Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message

    > Jo wrote:
    >
    >> "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > yes you are correct, it is only for data card, but the card is free for
    >> > a 2 year contract.
    >> >

    >> No, you signed up for a two year contract to get a data card which is
    >> 100%
    >> subsidised for the 2 yr term. Never ceases to amaze me how many people
    >> think
    >> its actually free. If it was, there would not be the penalty clause.

    > You may very well be correct and if so then the monthly payment of $55
    > includes payment for th card plus payment for the 1gig of data ?? What
    > I find a bit over the top is that if the penalty payment relates to the
    > cost of the card then at $700.00 it's a very expensive card, I have a
    > feeling that the cards are worth about $200.00 but I could be wrong, I
    > do believe I was wrong once before back in the 1950's

    Its worked out that the card to buy outright is always more than the
    subsidised version, basically the telco is banking on the customer being as
    long term customer and not doing the bimonthly telco dance.

    Oh yes, and the threat "If you dont do as I say, I will <take you to fairgo>
    <get you fired> is old, the teleops have heard it so often that the customer
    is not taken seriously.

    Jo, Jun 11, 2006
  16. Graymond

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in message

    > Jo wrote:
    >
    >> "Graymond" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > yes you are correct, it is only for data card, but the card is free for
    >> > a 2 year contract.
    >> >

    >> No, you signed up for a two year contract to get a data card which is
    >> 100%
    >> subsidised for the 2 yr term. Never ceases to amaze me how many people
    >> think
    >> its actually free. If it was, there would not be the penalty clause.

    > You may very well be correct and if so then the monthly payment of $55
    > includes payment for th card plus payment for the 1gig of data ?? What
    > I find a bit over the top is that if the penalty payment relates to the
    > cost of the card then at $700.00 it's a very expensive card, I have a
    > feeling that the cards are worth about $200.00 but I could be wrong, I
    > do believe I was wrong once before back in the 1950's

    So what you are saying is that Telecom is essentially selling stuff to their
    customers that should cost a lost less. I think this is an outrageous
    claim. Everyone knows Telecom would never dream of doing such a thing.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jun 12, 2006