    problems. However, when I started using a laptop with a 11b adapter built in
    I noticed that the wirless move much slower, up to 50% occasionally more.
    Even though it stays bellow 11mbps with the 11b and the 11g, is this normal?

    =?Utf-8?B?VEdXZWxmbWFu?=, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Hi,

    When you were using just the MN-700 and MN-720 together you were using
    the 11g protocol which can transfer data at up to 54 Mbps. Once you start
    using an 11b adapter in the wireless network, then the speed of the entire
    network is reduced to a maximum of 11 Mbps. So, yes that is normal.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Feb 18, 2005

  3. thanks for the information, but that is not the problem, my Internet speed
    registers betwwen 3-4Mbps when I connect to the router with a cable, but only
    1-2Mbps when I use the wifi. I know the network itself i slower, why does the
    bandwidth drop?

    =?Utf-8?B?VEdXZWxmbWFu?=, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Are you measuring the Internet bandwidth from the same computer for the
    3-4 Mbps and the 1-2 Mbps. For example, do you measure a 3-4 Mbps bandwidth
    from the computer connected with a cable, connect another computer onto the
    wireless LAN and then measure the Internet bandwidth from the wired computer
    at 1-2 Mbps? Or are you measuring the 1-2 Mbps bandwidth from the wireless
    computer? Or, does the bandwidth for both the wired and wireless computers
    drop to 1-2 Mbps when you start using the wireless LAN?

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Feb 18, 2005
  5. Hmm, good question, only one working computer right now, I'll try check with
    both active as soon as my other compter is on its feet again.

    =?Utf-8?B?VEdXZWxmbWFu?=, Feb 19, 2005
  6. You should realise that even though an 802..11g network is capable of
    54Mbps, this theoretical bandwidth top-end is achieved when the all wireless
    clients connections are of type 802.11g. If you added a 802.11b client
    connection onto the same network, the throughput would drop to well below
    54Mbps. I've read somewhere that some clients experience bandwidth within
    20-30Mbps range with mixed clients (b+g) on a g network. Results vary based
    on the NICs and drivers so I cannot cite specific examples.

    If you wanted to always maintain the 54Mbps available bandwidth, there are
    dual-radio router products (a+g) which contain two radios to separate
    wireless networks. G+b clients can operate on the G radio while the A radio
    can handle A clients exclusively for the 54Mbps bandwidth. Obviously this
    approach requires 802.11a clients and a new router :-(

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    Oliver Saal [MS], Mar 10, 2005