mmmm silence

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    silent cooling.

    sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    cooler($55).

    And I must say that a silent machine(well, except the PSU fan) is
    awesome. It actually makes less noise than my work Dell and HP, which I
    always regard as the quieter mass market PCs.

    It was well worth the $110 that it cost me to get some sanity back.

    CPU temp reached 62C(54C) the other day after playing some games with
    Seti/Climate prediction going aswell, and GPU hit 44C(38C), Case hit
    32(26) so although higher, still acceptible(to me at least).

    I still have my cheap as "came with the case" Icute PSU, with dual 80mm
    fans, but am planning on swapping it out for something with a 120mm
    thats known for being quiet, and I also have a 120mm fan on the front of
    the case.

    (xxC) was temp prior to change over.
    CPU: Athlon MP 1500+ running at 1500(200x7.5).
    GPU: Nvidia Ti4400 128MB running stock.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    > well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    > silent cooling.
    >
    > sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    > cooler($55).
    >
    > And I must say that a silent machine(well, except the PSU fan) is awesome.
    > It actually makes less noise than my work Dell and HP, which I always
    > regard as the quieter mass market PCs.
    >
    > It was well worth the $110 that it cost me to get some sanity back.
    >
    > CPU temp reached 62C(54C) the other day after playing some games with
    > Seti/Climate prediction going aswell, and GPU hit 44C(38C), Case hit
    > 32(26) so although higher, still acceptible(to me at least).
    >
    > I still have my cheap as "came with the case" Icute PSU, with dual 80mm
    > fans, but am planning on swapping it out for something with a 120mm thats
    > known for being quiet, and I also have a 120mm fan on the front of the
    > case.
    >
    > (xxC) was temp prior to change over.
    > CPU: Athlon MP 1500+ running at 1500(200x7.5).
    > GPU: Nvidia Ti4400 128MB running stock.

    I just built an Athlon64 3Ghz system for someone and was quite stunned when
    it didnt sound like a harrier jumpjet. The stock fan that came with the cpu
    is incredibly quiet.

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    > silent cooling.
    >
    > sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    > cooler($55).
    >
    > And I must say that a silent machine(well, except the PSU fan) is
    > awesome. It actually makes less noise than my work Dell and HP, which I
    > always regard as the quieter mass market PCs.
    >
    > It was well worth the $110 that it cost me to get some sanity back.
    >
    > CPU temp reached 62C(54C) the other day after playing some games with
    > Seti/Climate prediction going aswell, and GPU hit 44C(38C), Case hit
    > 32(26) so although higher, still acceptible(to me at least).
    >
    > I still have my cheap as "came with the case" Icute PSU, with dual 80mm
    > fans, but am planning on swapping it out for something with a 120mm
    > thats known for being quiet, and I also have a 120mm fan on the front of
    > the case.
    >
    > (xxC) was temp prior to change over.
    > CPU: Athlon MP 1500+ running at 1500(200x7.5).
    > GPU: Nvidia Ti4400 128MB running stock.

    I've just moved my / partitions off a nearly dead 40Gb IDE to a 10,000RPM
    9Gb SCSI. Boy is the SCSI drive noisy. I also moved the /var partition to a
    4Gb SCSI, which is noisy too.

    Why are SCSI disks so noisy? The upshot is that I notice the performance
    improvement.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > I've just moved my / partitions off a nearly dead 40Gb IDE to a 10,000RPM
    > 9Gb SCSI. Boy is the SCSI drive noisy. I also moved the /var partition to a
    > 4Gb SCSI, which is noisy too.
    >
    > Why are SCSI disks so noisy? The upshot is that I notice the performance
    > improvement.

    You answered that - they spin faster. And a 4GB SCSI (or even a 9GB) is
    getting pretty old, probably has high power-on hours, and as a
    consequence has noisy bearings.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 7, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    They are old drives. Some of the old drives were horrific. I have a V1
    Seagate Barracuda 4 GB SCSI and that is the reason why the server it lives
    on is in the laundry.

    The newer 10k RPM drives are competitive in their noise outputs (sometimes).
    But for Server class systems, noise is not such a consideration.

    - Tim

    Tim, Mar 7, 2005
  6. Suddenly, Dave - Dave.net.nz sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    > silent cooling.
    >
    > sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    > cooler($55).
    >
    > And I must say that a silent machine(well, except the PSU fan) is
    > awesome. It actually makes less noise than my work Dell and HP, which I
    > always regard as the quieter mass market PCs.
    >
    > It was well worth the $110 that it cost me to get some sanity back.

    I got similar results with the zalman stuff, though I also bought one of
    QuietPC's power supplies so that makes little noise either.

    The temp is fine by me, even with athlon64 3200 and a Radeon 9800...
    cool'n'quiet is cool :)

    *hm... notices a little whine coming from pc*

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 7, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Jerry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    > silent cooling.
    >
    > sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    > cooler($55).
    >
    > And I must say that a silent machine(well, except the PSU fan) is
    > awesome. It actually makes less noise than my work Dell and HP, which I
    > always regard as the quieter mass market PCs.
    >
    > It was well worth the $110 that it cost me to get some sanity back.
    >
    > CPU temp reached 62C(54C) the other day after playing some games with
    > Seti/Climate prediction going aswell, and GPU hit 44C(38C), Case hit
    > 32(26) so although higher, still acceptible(to me at least).
    >
    > I still have my cheap as "came with the case" Icute PSU, with dual 80mm
    > fans, but am planning on swapping it out for something with a 120mm
    > thats known for being quiet, and I also have a 120mm fan on the front of
    > the case.
    >
    > (xxC) was temp prior to change over.
    > CPU: Athlon MP 1500+ running at 1500(200x7.5).
    > GPU: Nvidia Ti4400 128MB running stock.

    If you spend a bunch of $$ on a fine computer, why do you want it to be
    quiet? If done properly it should sound like a Convair 880 on take off.
    Even the neighbours know you must have an impressive computer.
    Hearing protectors don't cost much, get your computer screaming and
    impress all your friends. :p

    Jerry
    Jerry, Mar 7, 2005
  8. Jerry wrote:
    >> well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash
    >> on silent cooling.

    > If you spend a bunch of $$ on a fine computer, why do you want it to be
    > quiet? If done properly it should sound like a Convair 880 on take off.
    > Even the neighbours know you must have an impressive computer. Hearing
    > protectors don't cost much, get your computer screaming and impress all
    > your friends. :p

    heh, I used to have two Delta 7k4s, the 7400RPM fans... you could hear
    my machine from outside the far side of the house, I killed them when it
    started disturbing my sleep, but not before taking a chunk out of three
    fingers deep enough to cause bleeding.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 7, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > CPU temp reached 62C(54C) the other day after playing some games with
    > Seti/Climate prediction going aswell

    Bah, that's my idle temperature :). My stock cooler is borked.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Mar 7, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> I've just moved my / partitions off a nearly dead 40Gb IDE to a 10,000RPM
    >> 9Gb SCSI. Boy is the SCSI drive noisy. I also moved the /var partition to
    >> a 4Gb SCSI, which is noisy too.
    >>
    >> Why are SCSI disks so noisy? The upshot is that I notice the performance
    >> improvement.

    > You answered that - they spin faster. And a 4GB SCSI (or even a 9GB) is
    > getting pretty old, probably has high power-on hours, and as a
    > consequence has noisy bearings.

    Funnily noisy bearing was the reason I replaced the originla 40Gb IDE.Every
    so often it would emit such a high pitchd sound that it could be heard all
    over our two storey houee - the fequency was so high it was very hard to
    locate. Just as well I copied stuff off it before it finally shat
    itself.Not bad since it ran non-stop for 18 months without spining down.

    Since instaling the SCSI's I just keep the office closed.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 7, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Jerry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >>> well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash
    >>> on silent cooling.

    >> If you spend a bunch of $$ on a fine computer, why do you want it to
    >> be quiet? If done properly it should sound like a Convair 880 on take
    >> off. Even the neighbours know you must have an impressive computer.
    >> Hearing protectors don't cost much, get your computer screaming and
    >> impress all your friends. :p

    > heh, I used to have two Delta 7k4s, the 7400RPM fans... you could hear
    > my machine from outside the far side of the house, I killed them when it
    > started disturbing my sleep, but not before taking a chunk out of three
    > fingers deep enough to cause bleeding.

    Ahhh, blood! Now that's a real computer!

    Jerry
    Jerry, Mar 8, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Blobster_NZ Guest

    Hi there,

    > I just built an Athlon64 3Ghz system for someone and was quite

    stunned when
    > it didnt sound like a harrier jumpjet. The stock fan that came with

    the cpu
    > is incredibly quiet.

    I agree with that. I expected the 64-bit 3000+ I just built to be a
    little noisy, so I
    put more of our budget into an Antec Sonata case, but even when testing
    the PC
    with the side of the case removed the noise level was minimal. With the
    case put
    together the noise level is nearly silent...brilliant! :)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Blobster_NZ, Mar 11, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Blobster_NZ Guest

    Hi there,

    Blobster_NZ, Mar 11, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    bambam Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    > silent cooling.
    >
    > sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    > cooler($55).

    Just one quick question Dave, did the VGA cooler come with thermal
    compound?
    bambam, Mar 12, 2005
  15. bambam wrote:
    >>well, I got sick of my PC making noise, and went and spent come cash on
    >>silent cooling.

    >>sofar I have the Zalman Flower CPU cooler($64), and the Zalman ZM80D VGA
    >>cooler($55).

    > Just one quick question Dave, did the VGA cooler come with thermal
    > compound?

    three tubes, labeled "Zalman" and thats about it.
    I only used one and a bit, you have to coat a fair bit, down the heat
    pipes etc where they meet the other HS for better transfer.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005