    for years with very little updates to it

    Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

    Laserfink LM-PL

    Laserfink, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Laserfink

    Laserfink Guest

    was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
    different sounds to different folders in OE , just done an
    addon search , can find anything like that ...but thats
    my point .. OE ..hasnt been given a funky new look
    or makeover for years yet its got to be one of the most
    popular software programmes on this planet

    Laserfink, Feb 1, 2008

  3. Laserfink

    Gordon Guest

    "Laserfink" <> wrote in message

    > was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
    > different sounds to different folders in OE , just done an
    > addon search , can find anything like that ...but thats
    > my point .. OE ..hasnt been given a funky new look
    > or makeover for years yet its got to be one of the most
    > popular software programmes on this planet

    And there certainly won't be anything done (at least by MS) now, as it's
    been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista.....

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Laserfink

    Laserfink Guest

    "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "

    ahhh .. never seen it

    is it any good , can you configure different folders
    with different sounds and a silent for spam ?

    if so i would seriously consider upgrading !

    Laserfink LM-PL

    Laserfink, Feb 1, 2008
  5. Laserfink

    Gordon Guest

    "Laserfink" <> wrote in message
    > "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
    >
    > ahhh .. never seen it
    >
    > is it any good , can you configure different folders
    > with different sounds and a silent for spam ?
    >
    > if so i would seriously consider upgrading !

    I don't know of ANY mail client that might do that - certainly in Outlook
    you can assign a sound to a Rule, but whether you can assign a sound AND
    move the item as well, I haven't investigated...

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Laserfink

    elaich Guest

    "Laserfink" <> wrote in news:t4-
    :

    > YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
    > for years with very little updates to it
    >
    > Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

    Most people don't know there's anything better, or are too clueless to
    change it.

    elaich, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Laserfink

    Laserfink Guest

    Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
    was the latest trend in email clients

    Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
    all it basically is , is a OE clone

    No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
    add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

    and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
    or arriving email - addresses

    Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
    standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
    searching for a couple of hours and cant come
    with anything

    Laserfink, Feb 1, 2008
  8. Laserfink

    Gordon Guest

    "Laserfink" <> wrote in message
    > Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
    > was the latest trend in email clients
    >
    > Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
    > all it basically is , is a OE clone

    But infinitely customisable with extensions.

    > No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
    > add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

    See comment above

    > and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
    > or arriving email - addresses
    >
    > Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
    > standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
    > searching for a couple of hours and cant come
    > with anything

    I think you must be the ONLY person in the universe who wants this,
    otherwise it would have been done.....remember, email started out, and is in
    the main, a BUSINESS tool.....

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2008
  9. Laserfink

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:18:22 -0000, "Laserfink"
    <> wrote:

    >Outlook express , now theres a thing
    >
    >just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it
    >its bog standard with every windows system
    >
    >YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
    >for years with very little updates to it
    >
    >Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

    Gee really? How did it get up to version 6 then?
    With vista though, you don't even get OE. Instead, they reverted back
    to winmail, which I haven't even opened once yet.

    richard, Feb 1, 2008
  10. Laserfink

    David Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Laserfink" <> wrote in message
    >> "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
    >>
    >> ahhh .. never seen it

    Can this Windows mail be used on XP?

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Feb 1, 2008
  11. Laserfink

    Gordon Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "Laserfink" <> wrote in message
    >>> "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
    >>>
    >>> ahhh .. never seen it
    >>>

    > Can this Windows mail be used on XP?

    No, but there's Windows Live Mail Desktop, which, AFAIK, is almost the same
    as Windows Mail. (Personally I use Outlook 2007....)
    Have a look here:
    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2008
  12. Laserfink

    Evan Platt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Outlook express , now theres a thing

    I think you meant "piece of crap".

    >just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it

    Lemmings.

    >its bog standard with every windows system

    Uhhh yeah, and?

    >YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
    >for years with very little updates to it

    People have been crapping the same for thousands of years. Does that
    mean anything?

    >Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

    Some people are too stupid to learn something better?

    Evan Platt, Feb 1, 2008
  13. Laserfink

    Rôgêr Guest

    Laserfink wrote:
    > Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
    > was the latest trend in email clients
    >
    > Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
    > all it basically is , is a OE clone
    >
    > No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
    > add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!
    >
    > and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
    > or arriving email - addresses

    You're wanting bling, most of the rest of the world would prefer substance.

    Rôgêr, Feb 1, 2008
  14. Laserfink wrote:

    > was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
    > different sounds to different folders in OE

    I think you misspelled "annoying".

    , just done an
    > addon search , can find anything like that ...but thats
    > my point .. OE ..hasnt been given a funky new look
    > or makeover for years yet its got to be one of the most
    > popular software programmes on this planet

    And a billion billion flies eat shit and love it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 1, 2008
  15. Laserfink wrote:

    > Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
    > was the latest trend in email clients
    >
    > Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
    > all it basically is , is a OE clone

    Certainly not. It is made to look as simple and convenient as possible to
    the former outlook express users, but the major difference is, it does not
    rely upon IE and does not "forcibly" show mails as html, with all the
    security risks.
    Indeed, due to the manglement of OE with IE, and IE with windows explorer,
    IE/explorer must be configured "tightly secured" which often leads to
    difficulties displaying even locally stored pictures.
    Now get the figure.

    > No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
    > add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

    And that is good and safe as well.

    > and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
    > or arriving email - addresses
    >
    > Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
    > standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
    > searching for a couple of hours and cant come
    > with anything

    Lameass. Noise polluter. Subway stalker.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 1, 2008
  16. Laserfink

    Homeworker Guest

    "I think you must be the ONLY person in the universe who wants this,
    otherwise it would have been done.....remember, email started out, and is in
    the main, a BUSINESS tool....."

    I would find it useful ......... my email is open for 9/10 hours a day ..due
    to spam landing in the
    deleted items box my OE is constantly doing its little "beep" and you feel
    encouraged
    to go over and have a look in case its an important email ...90% of the time
    its spam

    So if nothing else turning off the beep for the "bin" would be handy but
    surely
    slighlty different sounds for folders or different email contatcs would be
    very useful
    in many situations where the user does not want to be TIED to a desk but
    aware of a particular email arriving by a particular sound ... sounds like
    VERY
    useful buisness tool to me

    Also imagine an office with 10 people in it , everyone has a different sound
    allocated to the bosses email ..... and he does a mass email to everyone
    in the office !!!! hhahha I can see the hilarity now ..and production and
    general office happiness would improve :)

    So ll in all it looks like a great buisness tool to me , and possibly
    one people would even pay for !

    OPPORTUNITYS BEING MISSED

    Hopefully some african 15 year using a shared internet connection
    in his local library will read this , go away and write an extension , an
    add
    on , a adjustmnent ....either sell it put it out there and check his paypal
    3 months later as the library connection was out of order ..only to fnd
    its been dowload 65 million times an h has zillion squid from donations
    as people will find it soooo useful , buisness or otherwise.
    He will live on those funds for the rest of his life an his entire village
    will be fed clothed and warm for the rest of their lives too , just because
    he
    spent a couple of days writing an extension for the most popular email
    client on the earth

    Homeworker, Feb 2, 2008
  17. Laserfink

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Laserfink
    <> wrote:

    > Outlook express , now theres a thing
    >
    > just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it
    > its bog standard with every windows system
    >
    > YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
    > for years with very little updates to it
    >
    > Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

    No, it's because Microsoft thinks it works well enough for THEIR needs,
    and they won't fix it.

    It's not because they are thinking about the way it works, how it needs
    to work, or how it could work better -- they don't seem to care about
    any of that.

    But you don't seem to be able to consider that something else is
    better, or has always been better. You're defending a product you use
    by assuming no changes means it was already great.

    Mitch, Mar 18, 2008