MLPPP bandwidth statement question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    If you are using Multilink PPP and want to use QoS based on the
    bandwidth statements for the serial interfaces, do you need them under
    the physical interfaces as well as the Multilink interface? To do
    that, would I add the physical interface bandwidth(s) to come up with
    the correct Multilink bandwidth statement? Or just leave it out?

    IOW, should I do this?

    interface Multilink1
    bandwidth 3072 ; <---- THIS
    fair-queue
    ip address bla.bla.bla.bla
    ppp multilink
    multilink-group 1
    no ppp multilink fragmentation
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    bandwidth 1536 ; <---- AND/OR THIS?
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    multilink-group 1
    no fair-queue
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

    interface Serial0/1
    bandwidth 1536 ; <---- AND/OR THIS?
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    multilink-group 1
    no fair-queue
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Rob, Dec 13, 2004

  2. just leave it out

    take a look at this:

    interface Multilink1
    service-policy output multimedia
    no ip mroute-cache
    load-interval 30
    snmp ifindex persist
    ppp multilink
    multilink-group 1

    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip mroute-cache
    load-interval 30
    snmp ifindex persist
    no fair-queue
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    service-module t1 remote-alarm-enable
    no cdp enable
    ppp multilink
    multilink-group 1

    policy-map multimedia
    class voip
    priority percent 50
    class video-conference
    bandwidth remaining percent 50
    random-detect
    class class-default
    fair-queue
    random-detect

    sh int mu1

    Multilink1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is multilink group interface
    Internet address is 172.16.99.2/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 3072 Kbit, DLY 100000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 11/255, rxload 24/255
    Encapsulation PPP, LCP Open, multilink Open
    Open: CDPCP, IPCP, loopback not set
    DTR is pulsed for 2 seconds on reset
    Last input 00:00:00, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 11w1d
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/8/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 1/1 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 768 kilobits/sec
    30 second input rate 296000 bits/sec, 220 packets/sec
    30 second output rate 134000 bits/sec, 92 packets/sec
    425156245 packets input, 3959107674 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    315718086 packets output, 1906292427 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions

    sh int s0/1

    Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is DSCC4 with integrated T1 CSU/DSU
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 11/255, rxload 24/255
    Encapsulation PPP, LCP Open, multilink Open, loopback not set
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 11w1d
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    30 second input rate 150000 bits/sec, 167 packets/sec
    30 second output rate 68000 bits/sec, 83 packets/sec
    316958697 packets input, 250046484 bytes, 0 no buffer
    397 input errors, 18 CRC, 379 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    301189360 packets output, 218738736 bytes, 0 underruns
    1 carrier transitions
    DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

    regards
    Roman

    Roman Nakhmanson, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Rob

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>, bobh1234
    @hotmail.com says...
    > If you are using Multilink PPP and want to use QoS based on the
    > bandwidth statements for the serial interfaces, do you need them under
    > the physical interfaces as well as the Multilink interface? To do
    > that, would I add the physical interface bandwidth(s) to come up with
    > the correct Multilink bandwidth statement? Or just leave it out?

    AFAIK, if you leave it out, your multilink interface will have logical
    bandwidth as a sum of multilink components. If your serial interfaces
    are default 1,544 speed, you don't have to do anything.

    If your serial intefaces have bandwidth different that default T1
    connection you should put bandwidth statements. It shouldn't matter
    either you put bandwith on components (serial ints) or multilink
    interface. Actually the only reason I can think of why would be good to
    put bandwidth statements to components would be if you have network
    management tools in place to get correct data on reports...

    HTH,

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    So if I wanted to put it in just one, would it be the Multilink or the
    Serial interfaces?

    I plan on doing QoS the manual (hard) way, but if I wanted to dabble
    in the AutoQoS tool, it does need specific bandwidth settings AFAIK.

    Rob, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Rob

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>, bobh1234
    @hotmail.com says...
    > So if I wanted to put it in just one, would it be the Multilink or the
    > Serial interfaces?
    >
    > I plan on doing QoS the manual (hard) way, but if I wanted to dabble
    > in the AutoQoS tool, it does need specific bandwidth settings AFAIK.

    If you plan to put 'service-policy' to multilink interface, then I would
    put bandwidth statement on it.

    Just my 0.02$

    --
    -Ivan.