    No One Guest

    I downloaded what claims to be a DVD rip, but it is two .MKV files.
    What are these?
    No One, May 28, 2005

  2. No One wrote:

    > I downloaded what claims to be a DVD rip, but it is two .MKV files. What
    > are these?

    "Extension: MKV

    Matroska Video Stream Matroska Association

    The Matroska multimedia container formats were derived from a project
    called MCF, but differ from it significantly because it is based on EBML
    (Extensible Binary Meta Language), a binary derivative of XML. EBML
    enables future format extensibility, without breaking file support in
    old parsers. This is a container, not a CODEC. Get the parser from the
    Matroska site.

    MKV is the typical extension for a Matroska video file, it may contain
    several video tracks (in most cases only one), as well as several audio
    and subtitles tracks, in various formats. In addition to that the files
    can have attachements like JPEGs, song lyrics, decoder filters for
    DirectShow or other decoders, etc."

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, May 28, 2005

  3. No One

    Tarkus Guest

    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=mkv
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: "Return)"
    Tarkus, May 29, 2005
  4. No One

    No One Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > On 5/28/2005 3:00:01 PM, No One wrote:
    >

    >>I downloaded what claims to be a DVD rip, but it is two .MKV files.
    >>What are these?

    > http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=mkv

    yeah...I've been there..downloaded the mplayer...the files now have an
    icon, but they still don't play.
    No One, May 30, 2005
  5. No One wrote:

    >>>I downloaded what claims to be a DVD rip, but it is two .MKV files.
    >>>What are these?

    >> http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=mkv

    > yeah...I've been there..downloaded the mplayer...the files now have an
    > icon, but they still don't play.

    Use VLC http://videolan.org/vlc

    Just drag and drop the .mkv file onto the player window.
    Hans Schlager, May 30, 2005