MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R

    Date Thursday, February 17 @ 04:48:54

    Topic Latest News

    Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM) have announced the world's first dual
    layer DVD-R disc made to DL standards to be launched this spring.
    "Sales of DVD recording drives show tremendous increases worldwide,"
    says Shigeru Tamura, MKM Chief Information Officer. "And industry
    estimates put demand for DVD discs in 2005 at some 2.5 billion units,
    which is a year-on-year increase of 79%."

    As users record more images and movies, data density increases and
    people ask for greater capacity DVD recording discs. To meet this
    demand, MKM launched the world's first double layer DVD+R discs in May
    2004, which were well received in the market.

    Now, MKM will be the first one to launch a single sided dual layer
    media in the DVD-R format, which is the most popular format.

    With development of this new disc, capacity of DVD-R discs is now
    double that of conventional discs of this type. When using these new
    discs in compatible DVD drives, not only large amounts of data can be
    recorded continuously on the discs, but also the discs can be used in
    conventional DVD players of PC DVD-ROM drives to playback the
    recordings.

    This article comes from DVD Recordable
    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/

    The URL for this story is:
    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1846

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:17:17 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    > MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R
    >
    >Date Thursday, February 17 @ 04:48:54
    >
    >Topic Latest News
    >
    >Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM) have announced the world's first dual
    >layer DVD-R disc made to DL standards to be launched this spring.
    >"Sales of DVD recording drives show tremendous increases worldwide,"
    >says Shigeru Tamura, MKM Chief Information Officer. "And industry
    >estimates put demand for DVD discs in 2005 at some 2.5 billion units,
    >which is a year-on-year increase of 79%."

    That's assuming copy-protection and court cases don't destroy the
    market for these things. We know that is what blank DVDs are used
    for, in large part. Companies making DVD teaching sets, or people
    burning their wedding videos to DVD just are not going to create that
    kind of growth.
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 17, 2005