    V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
    do it for a second time.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 28, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Aug 27, 8:53 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > My Mk III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin.

    Without the terror of worrying about her father coming busting through
    the door.

    Annika1980, Aug 28, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    uw wayne Guest

    On Aug 27, 7:53 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
    > releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
    > V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
    > do it for a second time.
    >
    > Rita

    Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
    not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

    uw wayne, Aug 28, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    D_Mac Guest

    On Aug 28, 10:53 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
    > releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
    > V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
    > do it for a second time.
    >
    > Rita

    With Canon's track record on this, They need to release 3 updates in
    the first 2 months to get the beta model they released to the public,
    actually working pre-release version.

    The first one is to stuff up something version 1.0 never had in the
    first place under the pretence they were fixing a problem everyone
    else reported but you never had.

    The second one to balls it up completely and require a "return to
    Canon visit" for a "reset". I have it from a reliable source that this
    is when Canon actually fix the problem by replacing a few circuit
    boards and tell you they just pressed a few buttons to fix it.

    Then they release a 3rd update to make you feel better. It just
    corrects the way an Apollonian "x" is written in custom function 58,
    option 16. This is a real public relations coup too. You start to feel
    all warm and fuzzy again... Right up to the point where you buy that
    fantastic new lens they release to get within 80% of the camera's
    resolving power and discover it only focus' in Program mode and the
    upgrade cycle needs to be started all over again but this time with
    the lens!

    Now if you think this is all wild imagination, look at the history of
    firstly, the 10D then the 20D and then when everyone was starting to
    think Canon was succeeding in ruling the world... Out comes the world
    beating "Made in China to save money" ...magic lens they did a recall
    on is released!

    Oh yes... The infamous battery grip and the AA battery fiasco. That
    was really cool recalled too! I even have one of the grip's they
    replaced. Before They did, it drained both batteries evenly. Just
    wouldn't work with AA batteries. Now it drains only one battery!. When
    the camera dies at a critical time - usually when the bride is at the
    point you can finally get the shot of shots... You have to pop the
    batteries and swap them around and reboot the camera!

    Amazing that it only took the illustrious market leader - Canon, 6
    weeks to get that stuff up back to me. I can't be bothered sending it
    back for a second hit. I swear they send all the bloody rejects from
    the US to Australia!

    About this time they'll release a "new" model like when they let the
    30D out of the closet. The buggers should have given every 20D owner a
    30D for free. You can say all you want about Nikon being behind the 8
    ball with their cameras but at least they don't torture their
    customers like the famous Canon water torture trick. It was a real
    marketing killer coup to let out that they'd made the battery
    compartment watertight on the yet to be troubled by dud firmware...
    40D.

    I won't be bothering with any more Canon cameras. When the ones I have
    now die, I'll buy something else... Anything else has just got to be
    more reliable than the crap they sell.

    Doug

    D_Mac, Aug 28, 2007
  5. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]

    Rita Ä Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down by not
    > releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk III came with
    > V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The early adopters get to
    > do it for a second time.

    I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

    Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
    camera gets better monthly.

    BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 28, 2007
  6. Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
    >> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
    >> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
    >> early adopters get to do it for a second time.

    > I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

    No, getting it right the first time before it leaves the factory is more
    important than a bunch of pissed off customers.

    > Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
    > camera gets better monthly.

    No, it just gets closer to being what it should have been before leaving the
    factory.

    > BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

    Nope, it's sprinting towards obsolescence.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 28, 2007
  7. uw wayne wrote:

    >> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
    >> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
    >> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
    >> early adopters get to do it for a second time.
    >>
    >> Rita

    > Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
    > not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

    I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to Canon's excessive
    updates.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 28, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:18:10 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    >> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
    >> not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

    > I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to
    > Canon's excessive updates.

    You can't count on that paying off, since you know that Canon's
    engineering department never did, and never will have what it takes
    to develop an immaculate conception.

    ASAAR, Aug 29, 2007
  9. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Rita Ä Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >>> For general download in September. Canon isn't going to let us down
    >>> by not releasing monthly updates till the end of the year. My Mk
    >>> III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin. The
    >>> early adopters get to do it for a second time.

    >> I don't know about you, but I regard that as A GOOD THING(tm).

    > No, getting it right the first time before it leaves the factory is more
    > important than a bunch of pissed off customers.

    Microsoft has become a very huge company, delivering broken
    software, and claiming
    "There are no bugs in any Microsoft software that the majority of
    users want fixed" -- Bill Gates
    .. Worse, a camera bug will at worst make your camera unusable,
    but it will not reveal your personal information, you diary, your
    emails, etc. Nor will the worst camera bug cause your camera
    to attack other camera and camera networks at will, using it to
    sending "extend your lens" spams, do penny stock manipulation,
    cause people to give their cameras to strangers which will run
    off with it, or cause them to have and distribute child porn from
    their CF cards.

    So yes, Canon fixing the rough edges that were not apparent as
    such in testing but appear whem a thousandfold customer base with
    very varied usage starts stressing the camera IS A GOOD THING(tm).

    >> Without you paying an extra cent, or buying a later model, your
    >> camera gets better monthly.

    > No, it just gets closer to being what it should have been before leaving the
    > factory.

    We'll do the impossible immediately, but miracles take a bit
    longer.

    You _knew_ (or should have known) what you bought. Right?

    If you didn't know you got a camera that may still have rough
    edges, go talk to your legal guardian. :) So yes, you still are
    an early adopter. Once the price drops down more or less to the
    approximate level at which'll be just before the follow-up camera
    comes out and most bugs are ironed out, then the end of the early
    adopter phase has been reached.

    >> BTW: Anyone owning a Mk III now is still an early adopter.

    > Nope, it's sprinting towards obsolescence.

    I dunno about you, but my 20D, now 2 generations past the current
    model, has not lost image quality nor has the usabiliy suffered
    --- same as a good (though not neccessarily current) analog camera
    with a good (though not neccessarily current) chemical film.

    Keeping the 20D is free for me[1], upgrading will cost money.
    I don't feel hemmed in by the capabilities of the 20D, I know
    that I can get more out of the camera by learning even more about
    it and exploiting all the capabilities it offers. So unless the
    50D or 60D offers a "must have" feature for me, upgrading costs
    a lot and gains little.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] - I already paid for the 20D.
    - The resale value is small.
    - The usage value is as high, no, higher[2] than on the
    first day.
    - buying a 30D or 40D costs more than the increase in
    usage value will be for me, even selling the 20D.

    [2] I know the camera much better these days, know much better how
    it'll react and how to get what I need, and my RAW processing
    capabilities have increased, both by simply learning better
    and faster ways, and my RAW tools are improving by the month.

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 29, 2007
  10. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Rita Ä Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > uw wayne wrote:

    >> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we did
    >> not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

    > I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to Canon's excessive
    > updates.

    I gather you would use an unpatched windows without batting
    an eye lash, either. After all, Redmond-ware updates are
    excessive, and quite to late.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 29, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    On Aug 27, 8:53 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > My Mk III came with V1.1.0 so this will be like breaking in a virgin.

    Without the terror of worrying about her father coming busting through
    the door.

    Or, if you're a Catholic priest, his father.

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 29, 2007
  12. Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >>> Did'nt know you were into virgins. Oh well, a new side of Rita we
    >>> did not know about. Don't forget to use protection.

    >> I'm not ashamed of being a virgin when it comes to Canon's excessive
    >> updates.

    > I gather you would use an unpatched windows without batting
    > an eye lash, either. After all, Redmond-ware updates are
    > excessive, and quite to late.

    Absolutely! My slipstreamed install disc is customized just the way they
    need be for utter bulletproof protection. Running over two years on one
    machine without updates and it is tighter than Fort Knox.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 29, 2007
  13. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Rita Ä Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> I gather you would use an unpatched windows without batting
    >> an eye lash, either. After all, Redmond-ware updates are
    >> excessive, and quite to late.

    > Absolutely! My slipstreamed install disc is customized just the way they
    > need be for utter bulletproof protection.

    May I test it with an M16?

    > Running over two years on one machine without updates and it is
    > tighter than Fort Knox.

    Fort Knox is the wrong comparison, as gold bricks are infinitely
    larger than IP packets. It's like saying "my nets are absolutely
    watertight, not a water molecule will pass through, they use the
    identical nets against huge sharks".

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 3, 2007