mixing wireless connection with hard wired network questions

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by -keevill-, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. -keevill-

    -keevill- Guest

    I have got a very basic network at home with three machines connected to
    each other via a 6 point switch/hub in a normal hard wired LAN all running
    Win2K. One of the machines acts as a gateway to the Internet and is
    connected via an ADSL USB modem. Each PC has a fixed IP in the range of
    192.168.0.xx
    The connection is shared using WinRoute.
    I want to be able to occasionally connect my notebook into the LAN using the
    integral wireless connection in the notebook and access the Internet and
    file
    sharing.
    I have purchased a NetGear MA101
    wireless access point which I have installed into one of the PCs on the
    network. ( not the gateway machine ).
    I am using Ad hoc mode. I have discovered that I can get the notebook and
    the pc with the wireless access point attached to communicate with each
    other only if I give the wireless network connections in the notebook and in
    the PC and IP range of something like 192.168.1.xx in other words in a
    slightly different subnet. This means of course, that these machines are no
    longer in the main network. Can someone please assist me as to how I must
    configure in order that all the machines can talk to each other. And of
    course the notebook should be able to access the Internet.
    -keevill-, Aug 23, 2004

  2. o yes you have to go to control panel then to network and internet
    coinnections then click on network connections one click to internet
    connection then you aee beside a list were it says network task click on set
    up a home or small office network and follow the instructions do this on both
    computers and thats it you can share picture, files , music and other
    things for more information about how to put a folder as share tell me i dont
    tll you right now becouuse from this set up i think you can manage it is easy
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsb2F2aQ==?=, Aug 23, 2004

  3. -keevill-

    -keevill- Guest

    "maloavi" <> wrote in message
    > o yes you have to go to control panel then to network and internet
    > coinnections then click on network connections one click to internet
    > connection then you aee beside a list were it says network task click

    on set
    > up a home or small office network and follow the instructions do this

    on both
    > computers and thats it you can share picture, files , music and

    other
    > things for more information about how to put a folder as share tell me

    i dont
    > tll you right now becouuse from this set up i think you can manage it

    is easy

    firstly I should make it clear that I am in fact using a wireless LAN
    adapter and I apologise if I used the wrong term in my original post.
    The problem seems to be that I am only able to get the PC with the
    wireless LAN adapter connected to talk to the notebook if I put them in
    a different range of IP addresses. In other words in a different subnet
    range. This seems to me to mean that I then have to use some sort of
    bridging facility across the two networks. Is this correct? Or should
    I be able to put the same IP address range for both the wireless network
    connections and the hardwired network connections. Of course using a
    different IP address but at least within the same subnet. At the
    moment, I cannot achieve this.
    -keevill-, Aug 23, 2004
  4. -keevill-

    -keevill- Guest

    "Morfius" <> wrote in message
    > The reason being is that your ap has a lan address of 192.168.1.xxx. Go

    into
    > the router config page and cjange the lan to be the same as the other
    > 192.168.0.xxx. It should work fine after that.

    I don't have a router. I have now configured the WLAN adapter network
    connection on the PC and the notebook to have IP addresses in the same
    subnet range as the lan .The notebook can ping the PC but the PC cannot ping
    the notebook. If I disable the PC's network connection in the wired lan,
    then it can ping the notebook. The notebook cannot ping any other machine in
    the lan.
    -keevill-, Aug 24, 2004