Mixing Pc100 64mb and Pc100 128mb

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by condorito, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. condorito

    condorito Guest

    Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
    (generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
    128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one of
    the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine, it
    read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
    desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons wouldn't
    appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do with
    the ram i installed.

    What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one stick of
    128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed like
    10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks are
    from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that mixing
    speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
    128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not kingston
    (what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia

    Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a lost
    cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself , everyway
    you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.

    condorito, Jul 10, 2004

  2. condorito

    HF Guest

    Go to the Crucial website and get some decent memory as well as find the
    correct memory for your machine. All you need know is the model of machine
    or the motherboard type number.
    "condorito" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, my PC has 2 ram slots and have to sticks of pc100 64mb
    > (generic)(total 128mb), well i decided to buy a used stick of pc100
    > 128mb(kingston) to upgrade to 192mb or ram, what i did is, take out one of
    > the 64mb and replace it with the 128mb, after installing it booted fine,

    it
    > read that my pc has 192mb of ram, however after 2 days the icons in my
    > desktop looked all blurry even sometimes after boot up, the icons wouldn't
    > appear just the names appeard, so it was obvious it had something to do

    with
    > the ram i installed.
    >
    > What i did is take out the 64mb stick , and now i just have the one stick

    of
    > 128mb (kingston) and the icons seem fine no problems so far (installed

    like
    > 10 min ago from positing this). My guess is that because the ram sticks

    are
    > from diffrent manufacturers they are bumping heads and the fact that

    mixing
    > speeds is not a good idea , so i guess ill be looking for another pc100
    > 128mb of ram, do you all think its ok if its another brand and not

    kingston
    > (what i have now) or even a generic brand (there a lot cheaper lol). Tia
    >
    > Ps, I do have another stick of pc133 128mb of ram, but thats sort of a

    lost
    > cause, i tried to make it work by puting it in my pc by itself , everyway
    > you can think of, and it did not even boot, just showed a black screen.

    ---

    HF, Jul 11, 2004

  3. condorito

    condorito Guest

    Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
    pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
    pc100 64mb dont work together.

    condorito, Jul 11, 2004
  4. condorito

    Thor Guest

    "condorito" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
    > pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
    > pc100 64mb dont work together.

    Some boards have odd preferences about module capacity combinations (for
    example I have a 440EX board that will not accept a 128MB module in the
    first slot with 32MB modules in each of the other two slots, but it will
    take 128MB modules in all three), and some simply are sensitive to the
    mixing of different brands/configurations os modules. There is also more to
    consider these days than merely capacity, or speed. Most PC-100 and PC-133
    modules made these days use chips of 256mbit denstiy instead of the older
    128mbit density common just 2 or 3 years ago. A board using a chipset with
    this limitation will typically manifest the issue as a boot failure, or
    complete lack of recognition for the module. This was possibly the case with
    the PC-133 module you attempted to install.

    Thor, Jul 11, 2004
  5. condorito

    kony Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:51:33 -0700, "condorito"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks , but i do know exactly what kind of memory will work with my Pc,
    >pc100, the question was to confrim my guesses as to why pc100 128mb and
    >pc100 64mb dont work together.

    Usually they will, seems more likely your motherboard is
    marginal, almost failing and can only remain stable with lesser
    memroy amounts. Most posters would've started out by mentioning
    specs of system, since clearly your problem is not seem by most
    every other system, therefore the differences to your system (the
    details) matter.

    On the other hand it might just be bad memory, though it seems
    less likely. Test with http://www.memtest86.com

    kony, Jul 11, 2004
  6. condorito

    Wizard Guest

    There are move options than just pc-100 etc!

    Wizard, Jul 12, 2004
  7. condorito

    BuzBeKe Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > There are move options than just pc-100 etc!

    ....and what might that be Dick?
    You useless, ignorant piece of Hampton beach crap.

    BuzBeKe, Jul 15, 2004