    problem with mixing brands of ram as long as they are the same type?

    thanks,

    dan

    Dan Irwin, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Dan Irwin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Hi,
    |
    | I have a computer which uses registered ecc pc3200 ram. Is there any
    | problem with mixing brands of ram as long as they are the same type?
    |
    | thanks,
    |
    | dan

    Nope. Do it all the time. Cheap brands, expensive brands, Korean brands,
    Malaysian brands. They seem to get along fine in there <g>.

    To be specific, I just added PC3200 512 from Advance Modules to my HP
    computer with it's 'hoity-toity' high end expensive as all-get-out that they
    wanted over $100 to buy more of.

    Works fine. (Get a clue, HP!)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Dan Irwin

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Why are you running ECC ram? Its like 2-3% slower then unregistered ram. You
    running are server?

    Anyways, The only thing that matters with RAM is if its the right type/if
    you have room/ and you're not going above the max amount.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Dan Irwin

    Sano Guest

    Some AMD 64-bit boards were registered ram only.

    Sano, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Dan Irwin

    Sano Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:25:38 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    >| Hi,
    >|
    >| I have a computer which uses registered ecc pc3200 ram. Is there any
    >| problem with mixing brands of ram as long as they are the same type?
    >|
    >| thanks,
    >|
    >| dan
    >
    > Nope. Do it all the time. Cheap brands, expensive brands, Korean brands,
    > Malaysian brands. They seem to get along fine in there <g>.
    >
    > To be specific, I just added PC3200 512 from Advance Modules to my HP
    > computer with it's 'hoity-toity' high end expensive as all-get-out that they
    > wanted over $100 to buy more of.
    >
    > Works fine. (Get a clue, HP!)

    I don't own or run one, but Macs can be real touchy when it comes to ram.
    ;)

    Sano, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    Thx, I aussme though that you cant mix ram of diffrent latenceys?

    Dan Irwin, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Dan Irwin

    dwacon Guest

    "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a computer which uses registered ecc pc3200 ram. Is there any
    > problem with mixing brands of ram as long as they are the same type?

    Typically, not a problem. But my paranoia factor often kicks in since I
    have a warranty on my Dell... but you should be fine.

    --
    Is that a dead cat in a box on the ground next to me...
    or is it a metaphor for my desire to be in a house of ill repute?

    dwacon, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Dan Irwin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That is probably not the best idea, but the system should accept it and
    run, but at the settings of the slower (is that the right term?) RAM. My
    previous motherboard popped up a POST message about the latency when I
    swapped RAM, and suggested the correct setting even when I had mixed RAM
    installed. I'd guess many motherboards won't say anything, but simply run at
    the best possible setting automatically.

    | > "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I have a computer which uses registered ecc pc3200 ram. Is there any
    | > | problem with mixing brands of ram as long as they are the same type?
    | > |
    | > | thanks,
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Dan Irwin

    foxtrot Guest

    some mainboards are fussy when it comes to ram
    asus for instance needs a good quality branded ram
    if you use cheap ram you get unexplained crashes

    foxtrot, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Dan Irwin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I'd believe that. I set up some "generic" (read POS) systems at work a
    couple of years ago. They had problems during setup, they had problems
    running consistently. The error messages were seemingly unrelated - errors
    reading the CD, or writing to the HD. Eventually I replaced the RAM and
    everything was fine.

    "foxtrot" <> wrote in message
    | some mainboards are fussy when it comes to ram
    | asus for instance needs a good quality branded ram
    | if you use cheap ram you get unexplained crashes
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > That is probably not the best idea, but the system should accept it and
    | > run, but at the settings of the slower (is that the right term?) RAM. My
    | > previous motherboard popped up a POST message about the latency when I
    | > swapped RAM, and suggested the correct setting even when I had mixed RAM
    | > installed. I'd guess many motherboards won't say anything, but simply
    run
    | > at
    | > the best possible setting automatically.
    | >
    | > "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    | > | Thx, I aussme though that you cant mix ram of diffrent latenceys?
    | > |
    | > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > | > |
    type?