    I would not like Jerry G. to answer this as I will get the wrong answer
    probably.

    Cheers
    The One, Dec 16, 2004

  2. The One

    JD Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:58:15 +0000, The One wrote:

    > What is the advantage of ECC DDR, can I mix this with non ECC.
    >
    > I would not like Jerry G. to answer this as I will get the wrong answer
    > probably.
    >
    > Cheers

    ECC ram is Error Correcting and NO you cannot mix it with "NON ECC" (well
    actually you could but you wouldn't be able to use the ECC) and another
    thing ECC only works on motherboards that support it.
    JD, Dec 16, 2004

  3. The One

    ToMh Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message
    > What is the advantage of ECC DDR, can I mix this with non ECC.
    >
    > I would not like Jerry G. to answer this as I will get the wrong answer
    > probably.
    >
    > Cheers

    Depends on if your motherboard supports ECC, not
    many desk top motherboards do. Server boards usually
    support ECC, but also usually require registered DIMMs
    which will not work in desktop motherboards that do not
    support registered DIMMS. Most ECC dimms for sale
    are usually also registered.
    I'm not sure if you can mix them, but even if you could,
    ECC would be disabled, since for ECC to work,
    all memory has to be ECC.
    The advantage of ECC is that it will automatically
    correct single bit errors. I'm not sure how Windows
    handles non correctable multibit ECC errors,
    but you should at least get some indication if an unrecoverable
    error occurred.
    With non ECC DIMMs, if your memory has an error,
    you get corruption and you'll only see the side effects
    which makes it very hard to tell where the real problem is.
    The bootom line though is to just see what the motherboard supports
    and use that.
    ToMh, Dec 16, 2004
  4. The One

    The One Guest

    "ToMh" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the advantage of ECC DDR, can I mix this with non ECC.
    >>
    >> I would not like Jerry G. to answer this as I will get the wrong answer
    >> probably.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Depends on if your motherboard supports ECC, not
    > many desk top motherboards do. Server boards usually
    > support ECC, but also usually require registered DIMMs
    > which will not work in desktop motherboards that do not
    > support registered DIMMS. Most ECC dimms for sale
    > are usually also registered.
    > I'm not sure if you can mix them, but even if you could,
    > ECC would be disabled, since for ECC to work,
    > all memory has to be ECC.
    > The advantage of ECC is that it will automatically
    > correct single bit errors. I'm not sure how Windows
    > handles non correctable multibit ECC errors,
    > but you should at least get some indication if an unrecoverable
    > error occurred.
    > With non ECC DIMMs, if your memory has an error,
    > you get corruption and you'll only see the side effects
    > which makes it very hard to tell where the real problem is.
    > The bootom line though is to just see what the motherboard supports
    > and use that.

    Will my motherboard support it, I have an Amiga 500+ not sure what
    motherboard is in it.
    The One, Dec 17, 2004
  5. The One

    CLV3 Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    > "ToMh" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The One" <> wrote in message
    > >> What is the advantage of ECC DDR, can I mix this with non ECC.
    > >>
    > >> I would not like Jerry G. to answer this as I will get the wrong answer
    > >> probably.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >>

    > > Depends on if your motherboard supports ECC, not
    > > many desk top motherboards do. Server boards usually
    > > support ECC, but also usually require registered DIMMs
    > > which will not work in desktop motherboards that do not
    > > support registered DIMMS. Most ECC dimms for sale
    > > are usually also registered.
    > > I'm not sure if you can mix them, but even if you could,
    > > ECC would be disabled, since for ECC to work,
    > > all memory has to be ECC.
    > > The advantage of ECC is that it will automatically
    > > correct single bit errors. I'm not sure how Windows
    > > handles non correctable multibit ECC errors,
    > > but you should at least get some indication if an unrecoverable
    > > error occurred.
    > > With non ECC DIMMs, if your memory has an error,
    > > you get corruption and you'll only see the side effects
    > > which makes it very hard to tell where the real problem is.
    > > The bootom line though is to just see what the motherboard supports
    > > and use that.
    > >

    > Will my motherboard support it, I have an Amiga 500+ not sure what
    > motherboard is in it.

    Amiga 500????? As in Commodore Amiga??????? As far as I know, I do not
    believe Amigas used DDR Memory....it is an entirely diferent system.
    CLV3, Dec 17, 2004
  6. The One

    The One Guest

    "CLV3" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ToMh" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "The One" <> wrote in message

    >> > Depends on if your motherboard supports ECC, not
    >> > many desk top motherboards do. Server boards usually
    >> > support ECC, but also usually require registered DIMMs
    >> > which will not work in desktop motherboards that do not
    >> > support registered DIMMS. Most ECC dimms for sale
    >> > are usually also registered.
    >> > I'm not sure if you can mix them, but even if you could,
    >> > ECC would be disabled, since for ECC to work,
    >> > all memory has to be ECC.
    >> > The advantage of ECC is that it will automatically
    >> > correct single bit errors. I'm not sure how Windows
    >> > handles non correctable multibit ECC errors,
    >> > but you should at least get some indication if an unrecoverable
    >> > error occurred.
    >> > With non ECC DIMMs, if your memory has an error,
    >> > you get corruption and you'll only see the side effects
    >> > which makes it very hard to tell where the real problem is.
    >> > The bootom line though is to just see what the motherboard supports
    >> > and use that.
    >> >

    >> Will my motherboard support it, I have an Amiga 500+ not sure what
    >> motherboard is in it.
    >>

    > Amiga 500????? As in Commodore Amiga??????? As far as I know, I do not
    > believe Amigas used DDR Memory....it is an entirely diferent system.

    I believe so, it has a large keyboard with lots of lines across the top, in
    the corner it has a C with two little things coming off it and AMIGA written
    across the top too. I thought that E in ECC stood for Emiga as in Emiga
    Commodore Computer memory just relised its Amiga.
    The One, Dec 18, 2004
  7. The One

    CLV3 Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    > "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The One" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "ToMh" <> wrote in message

    > >> Will my motherboard support it, I have an Amiga 500+ not sure what
    > >> motherboard is in it.
    > >>

    > > Amiga 500????? As in Commodore Amiga??????? As far as I know, I do not
    > > believe Amigas used DDR Memory....it is an entirely diferent system.
    > >

    > I believe so, it has a large keyboard with lots of lines across the top,

    in
    > the corner it has a C with two little things coming off it and AMIGA

    written
    > across the top too. I thought that E in ECC stood for Emiga as in Emiga
    > Commodore Computer memory just relised its Amiga.

    First of all....

    The Amiga is an OLD machine.... not a bad gaming machine for its time (it
    did have some impressive graphics) but did NOT use the same type of memory
    as PCs now. Commodore and PCs are not similar in any way. Period.

    Second of all, why would the E in ECC stand for "Emiga"? Commodore Amiga is
    not even spelled with an E???

    I am confused...... are you serious about your questions?? You are either a
    really bad troll or someone who should just stay as far away from computers
    as humanly possible.
    CLV3, Dec 18, 2004
  8. The One

    The One Guest

    "CLV3" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "The One" <> wrote in message

    >> > Amiga 500????? As in Commodore Amiga??????? As far as I know, I do not
    >> > believe Amigas used DDR Memory....it is an entirely diferent system.
    >> >

    >> I believe so, it has a large keyboard with lots of lines across the top,

    > in
    >> the corner it has a C with two little things coming off it and AMIGA

    > written
    >> across the top too. I thought that E in ECC stood for Emiga as in Emiga
    >> Commodore Computer memory just relised its Amiga.
    >>

    > First of all....
    >
    > The Amiga is an OLD machine.... not a bad gaming machine for its time (it
    > did have some impressive graphics) but did NOT use the same type of memory
    > as PCs now. Commodore and PCs are not similar in any way. Period.
    >
    > Second of all, why would the E in ECC stand for "Emiga"? Commodore Amiga
    > is
    > not even spelled with an E???
    >
    > I am confused...... are you serious about your questions?? You are either
    > really bad troll or someone who should just stay as far away from
    > computers
    > as humanly possible.

    The Amiga set the industry standard with its graphics, series such as Star
    Trek the Next Generation and Seaquest DSV used Amigas hooked up to a large
    device which resembled a fridge called a 'video toaster' this boosted the
    Amigas graphical creativity to new levels for the time. The Amiga used
    Lightwave, which at the time was the most powerful 3D graphical rendering
    software available. The Video Toaster as it was called was closely linked to
    a machine called a 'Raptor' which also resembled a fridge, had 2x 233Mhz
    RISC chipsets in them, and at the time its power could make grown men
    cry...... literally. See how times change. I suspect that modern graphic
    techniques will use computers 30x more powerful than that 10 years on.

    And if you ask that above paragraph is totally genuine unlike the one above
    that.
    The One, Dec 18, 2004
  9. The One

    CLV3 Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    > "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The One" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "CLV3" <> wrote in message

    supports

    not

    > >> I believe so, it has a large keyboard with lots of lines across the

    top,
    > > in
    > >> the corner it has a C with two little things coming off it and AMIGA

    > > written
    > >> across the top too. I thought that E in ECC stood for Emiga as in Emiga
    > >> Commodore Computer memory just relised its Amiga.
    > >>

    > > First of all....
    > >
    > > The Amiga is an OLD machine.... not a bad gaming machine for its time

    (it
    > > did have some impressive graphics) but did NOT use the same type of

    memory
    > > as PCs now. Commodore and PCs are not similar in any way. Period.
    > >
    > > Second of all, why would the E in ECC stand for "Emiga"? Commodore Amiga
    > > is
    > > not even spelled with an E???
    > >
    > > I am confused...... are you serious about your questions?? You are

    either
    > > really bad troll or someone who should just stay as far away from
    > > computers
    > > as humanly possible.
    > >

    > The Amiga set the industry standard with its graphics, series such as Star
    > Trek the Next Generation and Seaquest DSV used Amigas hooked up to a large
    > device which resembled a fridge called a 'video toaster' this boosted the
    > Amigas graphical creativity to new levels for the time. The Amiga used
    > Lightwave, which at the time was the most powerful 3D graphical rendering
    > software available. The Video Toaster as it was called was closely linked

    > a machine called a 'Raptor' which also resembled a fridge, had 2x 233Mhz
    > RISC chipsets in them, and at the time its power could make grown men
    > cry...... literally. See how times change. I suspect that modern graphic
    > techniques will use computers 30x more powerful than that 10 years on.
    >
    > And if you ask that above paragraph is totally genuine unlike the one

    above
    > that.

    Ummm I was not denying the Amiga was a very revolutionary computer for its
    time. It does not change the fact that the memory it uses is not what is
    available now and is hardly compatible with anything that the PC uses.
    THAT was my point.I am still trying to figure out what yours was in the
    above message???
    CLV3, Dec 19, 2004
  10. The One

    The One Guest

    "CLV3" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "The One" <> wrote in message

    > supports

    > not

    > top,
    >> > in
    >> > written
    >> >>

    >> > First of all....
    >> >
    >> > The Amiga is an OLD machine.... not a bad gaming machine for its time

    > (it
    >> > did have some impressive graphics) but did NOT use the same type of

    > memory
    >> > as PCs now. Commodore and PCs are not similar in any way. Period.
    >> >
    >> > Second of all, why would the E in ECC stand for "Emiga"? Commodore
    >> > Amiga
    >> > is
    >> > not even spelled with an E???
    >> >
    >> > I am confused...... are you serious about your questions?? You are

    > either
    >> > really bad troll or someone who should just stay as far away from
    >> > computers
    >> > as humanly possible.
    >> >

    >> The Amiga set the industry standard with its graphics, series such as
    >> Star
    >> Trek the Next Generation and Seaquest DSV used Amigas hooked up to a
    >> large
    >> device which resembled a fridge called a 'video toaster' this boosted the
    >> Amigas graphical creativity to new levels for the time. The Amiga used
    >> Lightwave, which at the time was the most powerful 3D graphical rendering
    >> software available. The Video Toaster as it was called was closely linked

    >> a machine called a 'Raptor' which also resembled a fridge, had 2x 233Mhz
    >> RISC chipsets in them, and at the time its power could make grown men
    >> cry...... literally. See how times change. I suspect that modern graphic
    >> techniques will use computers 30x more powerful than that 10 years on.
    >>
    >> And if you ask that above paragraph is totally genuine unlike the one

    > above
    >> that.
    >>

    > Ummm I was not denying the Amiga was a very revolutionary computer for its
    > time. It does not change the fact that the memory it uses is not what is
    > available now and is hardly compatible with anything that the PC uses.
    > THAT was my point.I am still trying to figure out what yours was in the
    > above message???

    I know that LOL, another entertaining post
    The One, Dec 19, 2004