Mitel 3300 MX Controller - anyone here use them?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jon, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    recovered.

    There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
    "DHCP: Discovery"

    These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
    incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
    of fixing it I'm on my own!

    The reset button on the front has not done anything. Even some
    documentation would be start.

    Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)
    --
    Regards
    Jon
    Jon, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Jon

    Linker3000 Guest

    Jon wrote:
    > We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    > 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    > recovered.
    >
    > There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    > and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
    > "DHCP: Discovery"
    >
    > These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
    > incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
    > of fixing it I'm on my own!
    >
    > The reset button on the front has not done anything. Even some
    > documentation would be start.
    >
    > Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)

    Good starting point:

    http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm

    Hope this helps.
    Linker3000, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Jon

    alexd Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    > 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    > recovered.
    >
    > There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    > and they are all blinking red.

    Doesn't sound good, although they'll flash an alarm even if it's just an IP
    trunk that's off.

    > The displays on the handsets is stuck on "DHCP: Discovery"
    >
    > These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
    > incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
    > of fixing it I'm on my own!
    >
    > The reset button on the front has not done anything.

    Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
    system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL telnet
    [to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable in?

    > Even some documentation would be start.

    Even if you do manage to log in to edocs.mitel.com, I wish you the best of
    luck with it. I get the impression that Mitel [compared to Siemens kit and
    Asterisk] make their kit deliberately obtuse and difficult to use [for
    example, how do you power off a 3300 remotely?]; perhaps it's to keep
    the "channel" happy.

    > Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)

    I won't mention investigating the possibility of changing the handsets to
    SIP mode to use with Asterisk then :) Sell it on eBay, and buy something
    useful with the proceeds, like some SIP handsets that can make peer to peer
    calls, for example. Marginally better than walkie-talkies :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:10:22 up 51 days, 12 min, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.17, 0.17
    alexd, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Good starting point:
    > http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm
    > Hope this helps.

    If I had a login for the site it might, but I don't!
    --
    Regards
    Jon
    Jon, Jun 19, 2007
  5. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
    > system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL telnet
    > [to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable in?

    I can find the IP address I expect, and I have not tried serial yet.
    Presumably the serial port requires hyperterminal or some mitel
    proprietary app to listen to it and make sense of the output?

    Thanks anyway.
    --
    Regards
    Jon
    Jon, Jun 19, 2007
  6. Jon

    alexd Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > declared for all the world to hear...
    >> Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
    >> system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL
    >> telnet
    >> [to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable
    >> [in?

    > I can find the IP address I expect, and I have not tried serial yet.
    > Presumably the serial port requires hyperterminal or some mitel
    > proprietary app to listen to it and make sense of the output?

    You can connect fine with Hyperterminal - 9600, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop
    bit, flow control off.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    09:37:44 up 51 days, 11:39, 2 users, load average: 0.95, 0.44, 0.21
    alexd, Jun 19, 2007
  7. Jon

    alexd Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > Jon wrote:
    >
    >> We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    >> 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    >> recovered.
    >>
    >> There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    >> and they are all blinking red.

    > Doesn't sound good, although they'll flash an alarm even if it's just an
    > IP trunk that's off.

    It's just occurred to me that the major alarm lights will flash if the PSTN
    trunks are disconnected, and that would correlate with what you said about
    only using it as an intercom, ie no need for trunks so you've unplugged it.
    So it could be that the alarm lights mean nothing at all :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    09:43:38 up 51 days, 11:45, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.36, 0.24
    alexd, Jun 19, 2007
  8. Jon

    alexd Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    > 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    > recovered.
    >
    > There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    > and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
    > "DHCP: Discovery"

    Do you know if you were using the 3300 as a DHCP server, or if you had an
    external DHCP server programmed up? Bear in mind that the phones in MiNET
    mode won't just accept any old DHCP lease; they need stuff like TFTP
    server, controller address, etc, in the options.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    09:48:35 up 51 days, 11:50, 2 users, load average: 0.72, 0.43, 0.29
    alexd, Jun 19, 2007
  9. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Jon wrote:
    >
    > > We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
    > > 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
    > > recovered.
    > >
    > > There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
    > > and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
    > > "DHCP: Discovery"

    > Do you know if you were using the 3300 as a DHCP server, or if you had an
    > external DHCP server programmed up?

    There's a 24-port managed switch on the LAN which puts out dhcp. The PCs
    are on fixed IP, DHCP is only used for visiting senior managers who plug
    their laptops in for network connectivity.

    > Bear in mind that the phones in MiNET
    > mode won't just accept any old DHCP lease; they need stuff like TFTP
    > server, controller address, etc, in the options.

    Hmmm. I think walkie-talkies is looking good at the moment!
    --
    Regards
    Jon
    Jon, Jun 19, 2007
  10. Jon

    bcarnot

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    San Diego
    3300 commands

    If you can get to the system from serial or telnet:
    I would do the following

    AL - Tells you the exact alarms
    SH FA AL - Shows all faults

    Most likely the system does not see the turnks coming in.

    Load 1 1 1 - Reloads the primary controller

    Hope this helps
    bcarnot, Jun 22, 2007