    future reference?

    Thanks!

    http://dwacon.blogspot.com
    DWACON, Sep 4, 2006

  2. DWACON

    Guest

    DWACON wrote:
    > I have over ½gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
    > "$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
    >
    > I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
    >
    > Would anyone confirm or deny?

    It is, but only if you don't want the option of being able to uninstall
    the service pack later.

    Marcus
    http://www.mjtnet.com/
    Macro Scheduler - Automate Windows Tasks
    , Sep 4, 2006

  3. DWACON

    beenthere Guest

    "DWACON" <> wrote in message
    >I have over ½gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
    >"$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
    >
    > I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
    >
    > Would anyone confirm or deny?
    >
    > Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up to a CD for
    > future reference?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You can safely remove the $NTServicePackUninstall$ files.
    But you will then Not be able to Uninstall the updates in
    Add\remove files.
    Yes you could back them up to a CD, then replace them
    into the Windows files, if you wish.
    I`ve deleted mine, knowing that I`ve experienced no
    problems with the updates that I`ve got.
    HTH.
    beenthere, Sep 4, 2006
  4. DWACON

    Spuds Guest

    On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:21:32 -0400, "DWACON" <> wrote:

    >I have over ½gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
    >"$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
    >
    >I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
    >
    >Would anyone confirm or deny?
    >
    >Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up to a CD for
    >future reference?
    >
    >Thanks!

    You could grab the little free utility here, called "XP Remove Hotfix Backups:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    It will also removes the associated Registry entries for these items in
    Add/Remove Programs.
    --

    "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
    cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

    - Nick DiPaolo
    Spuds, Sep 4, 2006
  5. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    "Spuds" <> wrote in message

    > "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
    > cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...
    > the red is positive and the black is negative."

    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality
    DWACON, Sep 4, 2006
  6. DWACON

    thanatoid Guest

    "DWACON" <> wrote in

    > I have over ½gb of files from OS upgrades in directories
    > such as "$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to
    > reclaim the space.
    >
    > I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
    >
    > Would anyone confirm or deny?
    >
    > Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up
    > to a CD for future reference?
    >
    > Thanks!

    A CD-R costs about a quarter and ten minutes' time. Brains,
    apparently, are MUCH harder to come by.

    Unbelievable.

    The contents of the answers are equally dumbfounding.
    thanatoid, Sep 4, 2006