  1. There are two workgroups setup. The win2k pc's can see and access any pc on
    either workgroup, the new xp pc's do NOT see the other workgroup. Any reason
    for this???

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsaWp1cw==?=, Jan 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsaWp1cw==?=

    Malke Guest

    Virgilijus wrote:

    > There are two workgroups setup. The win2k pc's can see and access
    > any pc on
    > either workgroup, the new xp pc's do NOT see the other workgroup. Any
    > reason for this???

    Probably a misconfigured firewall. The names of the Workgroups are
    irrelevant since Workgroups are just a cosmetic/organizational device
    and Windows machines don't need to be in the same Workgroup to access
    files. Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If
    you are not running a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall
    applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the
    Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall (and have
    properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn
    the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls running, and a
    third-party program will be better than the WF. All firewalls must be
    properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.

    Here are some links to help you, including a network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. If you take the time to go through the
    troubleshooter, it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s).

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm - troubleshooter
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
    an existing network
    (Pro)

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Malke,

    I tried what you recommended and it still does NOT work. Any other
    suggestons???

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsaWp1cw==?=, Jan 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsaWp1cw==?=

    Malke Guest

    Virgilijus wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > I tried what you recommended and it still does NOT work. Any other
    > suggestons???

    What were the results of Mr. Michna's troubleshooter?

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 18, 2006