Missing TV stations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, May 1, 2014.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Does anybody know where to get information for finding the missing TV
    stations please?

    Channel 500 gives "Invalid input."
    www.freeview.forum.co.nz domain doesn't exist, according to Google.

    Those two are the helpful?? suggestions that have been coming up on TV over
    the last few days.

    I want Prime and Maori TV Also Choice and Parliament sometimes. 1,2,3,4,
    are still there.
    (Any websites to get Prime and Maori TV programs on the computer?)

    On XP I used to be able to get a list of newsgroups by clicking
    eternal-september. It doesn't seem to work on Windows 7.
    There might be a TV group. That is why I'm asking here.

    I've got one of those boxes that we had to get the last time they changed
    everything.
    It would have to be just clicking stuff, nothing technical. I've got the
    remote for changing stations with a lot of buttons.

    Any ideas where to look? Otherwise I will have to get the TV man, but he is
    probably booked solid by now.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 1, 2014

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    On 1/05/2014 2:30 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > Does anybody know where to get information for finding the missing TV
    > stations please?
    >
    > Channel 500 gives "Invalid input."
    > www.freeview.forum.co.nz domain doesn't exist, according to Google.
    >
    > Those two are the helpful?? suggestions that have been coming up on TV
    > over the last few days.
    >
    > I want Prime and Maori TV Also Choice and Parliament sometimes.
    > 1,2,3,4, are still there.
    > (Any websites to get Prime and Maori TV programs on the computer?)
    >
    > On XP I used to be able to get a list of newsgroups by clicking
    > eternal-september. It doesn't seem to work on Windows 7.
    > There might be a TV group. That is why I'm asking here.
    >
    > I've got one of those boxes that we had to get the last time they
    > changed everything.
    > It would have to be just clicking stuff, nothing technical. I've got the
    > remote for changing stations with a lot of buttons.
    >
    > Any ideas where to look? Otherwise I will have to get the TV man, but
    > he is probably booked solid by now.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Go to your FreeView box's SETUP (or similar) menu and set it off to
    Auto-tune.

    There isn't any button for that on my remote. I clicked MENU but nothing
    happens.

    And try www.freeview.org.nz if you want the Freebview website.
    I got that. It says it's the default page for webserve. "Web software is
    running but no content has been added yet".
    There is a page about retuning, but it doesn't show our TV.

    I expect the TV man would know what to do, but I haven't a clue.

    How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they trying
    to force us to get SKY?
    Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.

    Thank you for your help, but it looks as though the TV man will have to do
    it.

    Geopelia

    geoff

    geoff

    geopelia, May 1, 2014

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    On 1/05/2014 9:55 p.m., geopelia wrote:

    > How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they
    > trying to force us to get SKY?
    > Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.
    >
    > Thank you for your help, but it looks as though the TV man will have to
    > do it.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Try www.freeviewnz.tv !

    I got that but it wasn't any help.
    I got the instruction book and managed to do it from that. Things didn't
    come up like it says in the book, but the missing stations finally came
    back.
    Perhaps they should invent a mouse for the TV to click stuff :)
    At least I didn't blow the set up. If it was difficult for me, what must it
    be like for even dumber folks?

    Thanks for your help
    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 2, 2014
  4. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    > "geoff" wrote in message
    >
    > On 1/05/2014 9:55 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they
    >> trying to force us to get SKY?
    >> Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help, but it looks as though the TV man will have
    >> to do it.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Try www.freeviewnz.tv !

    > I got that but it wasn't any help.
    > I got the instruction book and managed to do it from that. Things
    > didn't come up like it says in the book, but the missing stations
    > finally came back.

    That's great. You could also probably do a 're-set' if it happens again. Is
    there a re-set button on the back?

    > Perhaps they should invent a mouse for the TV to click stuff :)
    > At least I didn't blow the set up. If it was difficult for me, what
    > must it be like for even dumber folks?

    I doubt there are many Geo. <big grin>

    Sorry, I'm in a playful mood and you left yourself open for that. I'm
    pleased to see you still going strong, doing things for yourself that most
    of your peers wouldn't even attempt. :)
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, May 2, 2014
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote in message news:ljuo6d$f5t$...

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    > "geoff" wrote in message
    >
    > On 1/05/2014 9:55 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they
    >> trying to force us to get SKY?
    >> Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help, but it looks as though the TV man will have
    >> to do it.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > Try www.freeviewnz.tv !

    > I got that but it wasn't any help.
    > I got the instruction book and managed to do it from that. Things
    > didn't come up like it says in the book, but the missing stations
    > finally came back.

    That's great. You could also probably do a 're-set' if it happens again. Is
    there a re-set button on the back?

    > Perhaps they should invent a mouse for the TV to click stuff :)
    > At least I didn't blow the set up. If it was difficult for me, what
    > must it be like for even dumber folks?

    I doubt there are many Geo. <big grin>

    Sorry, I'm in a playful mood and you left yourself open for that. I'm
    pleased to see you still going strong, doing things for yourself that most
    of your peers wouldn't even attempt. :)
    --
    </Shaun>

    I don't know about a reset button. I would have trouble getting at the back,
    I wouldn't want to undo any cables.
    The box is in the cupboard underneath with cables going through a hole, it
    wouldn't fit on the top.
    But I've got the book in case it happens again.

    I've just got an Epson printer that seems to do everything, even faxes. Now
    I've got to learn how to use it.
    But copying and printing from the computer seem to be all I need to do, and
    I can manage those.

    They have just dug up the drive entrance for ultra fast broadband. I won't
    be getting it.
    They would have to dig all the way down the drive and put in boxes and
    stuff, I think.
    The Broadband I have got now is fast enough for me, a great improvement on
    dial up.
    Wish they had a Status Quo party to vote for!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 2, 2014
  6. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 02/05/14 11:27, geopelia wrote:

    >> How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they
    >> trying to force us to get SKY?
    >> Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.
    >>

    > I got the instruction book and managed to do it from that. Things didn't
    > come up like it says in the book, but the missing stations finally came
    > back.
    > Perhaps they should invent a mouse for the TV to click stuff :)
    > At least I didn't blow the set up. If it was difficult for me, what must
    > it be like for even dumber folks?

    You have finally achieved geekdom, Geo.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 2, 2014
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    On 2/05/2014 4:58 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > Wish they had a Status Quo party to vote for!

    > Wish they had a Status Quo party to vote for!

    They have - it's called The Conservatives". Where everything reverts to
    the 1930s - dress sense, racism, social attitudes, conceited and dorky
    guys, etc.

    The changes to Freeview are a Good Thing, because it adds extra channels
    that are worthwhile, without having to go to Sky. Especially when one's
    box reacts to the auto-update command from the transmitters !

    Igloo (which is effectively Not-Quite-Free-View, and is broadcast aloong
    with Freeview) would do it for me if it had Formula One and rugby/cricket.

    Congrats on making the TV Man obsolete this time !

    geoff

    I'd like to see a Conservative or two in Parliament. They might be a
    steadying influence.
    But not a Conservative government.
    I remember the 1930s, in Britain. It was a good time for those with a job.
    Unfortunately not so good for others.
    But Hitler was fulminating in the background and we were getting ready for
    another war.
    As for dress sense, some daring women caused scandal by wearing slacks.
    Backless dresses were fashionable.

    But no computers! How on earth did we manage without them?
    I'm going to miss Trackside when Sky grabs it.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 3, 2014
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" wrote in message news:536349c1$...

    On 02/05/14 11:27, geopelia wrote:

    >> How much more messing about is the government going to do? Are they
    >> trying to force us to get SKY?
    >> Even TV One went off for a while tonight, but it has come back on.
    >>

    > I got the instruction book and managed to do it from that. Things didn't
    > come up like it says in the book, but the missing stations finally came
    > back.
    > Perhaps they should invent a mouse for the TV to click stuff :)
    > At least I didn't blow the set up. If it was difficult for me, what must
    > it be like for even dumber folks?

    You have finally achieved geekdom, Geo.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    I wonder if anyone else had problems with the TV tonight, or was it just me?
    I got the sound but no picture on 1,2,3, 4. and 5 (Maori TV)
    10 Prime was working for the Rugby, and when that ended the other stations
    were back.
    If it does it again I will try to reset the stations, but I wondered if it
    was just me or a general problem.
    North Shore, Mairangi Bay - Sunnynook area.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 3, 2014