    (The recommended "Messagebeep()" as not a replacement since it allows
    only a small number of predefined sounds.)

    Harry
    Hartmut \(Harry\) Kloppert, Jul 16, 2009

  2. Hartmut \(Harry\) Kloppert

    tsperling Guest

    Hmm. I didn't even know about that. I wonder if they decided that everybody
    today has soundcards plugged in and several (if not most) PC's that have
    been sold for the past years doesn't even have a cabinet speaker any more.

    I build my own machines and they usually gets the speaker, since I too think
    it belongs in a true PC, but I cannot remember the day that I last heard it
    sound anything.

    (Ah - the BIOS beep-codes, of course, that will need that speaker! I agree,
    we do have a potential scandal there!)

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Hartmut \(Harry\) Kloppert

    Guest

    In <>, "tsperling" <> writes:
    >Hmm. I didn't even know about that. I wonder if they decided that everybody
    >today has soundcards plugged in and several (if not most) PC's that have
    >been sold for the past years doesn't even have a cabinet speaker any more.

    My latest mobo has a solid state noise generator on the mobo. You could mistake
    it for a can capacitor.
    , Jul 17, 2009
  4. Hartmut \(Harry\) Kloppert

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    I opened a cmd prompt window and typed ECHO, pressed Ctrl-G and <ENTER>
    The beep came out from the soundcard speakers while the pcspeaker remained
    silent. Also ECHO CON: Ctrl-G ENTER produced the same results.
    It seems to have been "banned".
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 17, 2009
  5. Hartmut \(Harry\) Kloppert

    tsperling Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Tony,
    > I opened a cmd prompt window and typed ECHO, pressed Ctrl-G and <ENTER>
    > The beep came out from the soundcard speakers while the pcspeaker remained
    > silent. Also ECHO CON: Ctrl-G ENTER produced the same results.
    > It seems to have been "banned".
    > Carlos
    >
    > "tsperling" wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm. I didn't even know about that. I wonder if they decided that
    >> everybody
    >> today has soundcards plugged in and several (if not most) PC's that have
    >> been sold for the past years doesn't even have a cabinet speaker any
    >> more.
    >>
    >> I build my own machines and they usually gets the speaker, since I too
    >> think
    >> it belongs in a true PC, but I cannot remember the day that I last heard
    >> it
    >> sound anything.
    >>
    >> (Ah - the BIOS beep-codes, of course, that will need that speaker! I
    >> agree,
    >> we do have a potential scandal there!)
    >>

    >> Tony. . .
    >>

    >> "Hartmut (Harry) Kloppert" <> wrote in message
    >> > How is it possible that Microsoft just removes the support for the API
    >> > Beep() command for the 64-bit Visa & XP?
    >> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms679277(VS.85).aspx
    >> > I guess that there are other programs besides the ones I have written
    >> > that take advantage of having the PC-speaker sound a selectable
    >> > frequency
    >> > for a selectable time.
    >> > I fthe answer is "is was sunchroneous and took away control" then
    >> > my question is " why didn't somebody try to make it asynchroneous"
    >> > instead of taking something away that was there from day 1 with the PC.
    >> > (The recommended "Messagebeep()" as not a replacement since it allows
    >> > only
    >> > a small number of predefined sounds.)
    >> >
    >> > Harry

    That is a quick and dirty test, and it does seem that it has, and Harry's
    link says so. Next time I re-boot I shall try and press a keyboard key at
    POST and find out what happens then.

    Tony. . .
    tsperling, Jul 17, 2009