Missing Startup File

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by A.Bloke, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. A.Bloke

    A.Bloke Guest

    Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.

    Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
    Pardon the capital letters:
    THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
    REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
    INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
    THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.

    I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
    repaired.

    If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
    painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
    When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails, I
    receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take ages
    to download.

    Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    A.Bloke, Dec 13, 2003

  2. This is a RealOne file and there is a workaround. RealOne is really a
    shitty program and I nuked it within 5 minutes of the installation. It
    took over everything. Just nasty. Anyway, the workaround is described
    here:

    http://www.mikescomputerinfo.com/TkBellExe.htm

    More information here:

    http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/26284.html

    I use Irfanview for Real files. Some folks have installed RealAlternative
    found here:

    http://www.click-now.net/html/RealAlternative.htm

    --
    @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 13, 2003

  3. A.Bloke wrote:

    >Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
    >
    >Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
    >Pardon the capital letters:
    >THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
    >REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
    >INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
    >THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
    >
    >I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
    >repaired.
    >
    >If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
    >painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
    >When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails, I
    >receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take ages
    >to download.
    >
    >Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Steve

    That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
    My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
    'partial' solution here:
    Bill Schnakenberg, Dec 13, 2003
  4. A.Bloke

    A.Bloke Guest

    "Bill Schnakenberg" <> wrote in message
    > A.Bloke wrote:
    >
    > >Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
    > >
    > >Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
    > >Pardon the capital letters:
    > >THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
    > >REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
    > >INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
    > >THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
    > >
    > >I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
    > >repaired.
    > >
    > >If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
    > >painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
    > >When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails,

    > >receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take

    ages
    > >to download.
    > >
    > >Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Steve
    > >

    > That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
    > My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
    > 'partial' solution here:

    Thanks.
    I suspected as much, even though I booted off Realplayer a couple of months
    ago
    I am about to try that partial solution.
    Beats me why it slows down programs & internet connection though.

    Steve

    A.Bloke, Dec 13, 2003
  5. A.Bloke

    A.Bloke Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > This is a RealOne file and there is a workaround. RealOne is really a
    > shitty program and I nuked it within 5 minutes of the installation. It
    > took over everything. Just nasty. Anyway, the workaround is described
    > here:

    Thanks.

    The other poster (scroll down) has sugested a fix.
    Beats me why it slows down my programs & internet connection.

    Steve

    A.Bloke, Dec 13, 2003
  6. A.Bloke

    A.Bloke Guest

    "A.Bloke" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill Schnakenberg" <> wrote in message
    > > A.Bloke wrote:
    > >
    > > >Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
    > > >
    > > >Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
    > > >Pardon the capital letters:
    > > >THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
    > > >REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,''

    AN
    > > >INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
    > > >THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
    > > >
    > > >I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
    > > >repaired.
    > > >
    > > >If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
    > > >painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
    > > >When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix

    fails,
    > > >receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take

    > ages
    > > >to download.
    > > >
    > > >Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks in advance
    > > >
    > > >Steve
    > > >

    > > That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
    > > My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
    > > 'partial' solution here:

    > Thanks.
    > I suspected as much, even though I booted off Realplayer a couple of

    months
    > ago
    > I am about to try that partial solution.
    > Beats me why it slows down programs & internet connection though.
    >
    > Steve

    Nope, nothing seems to work.

    I am going to delete Realsched.exe & see what happens.
    Lonely are the brave.

    Steve (brave).

    A.Bloke, Dec 13, 2003