missing shutdown menu item in task manager

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kyote, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    On one of my windows xp pro computers I can bring up the task manager
    and choose to shutdown or restart from there. But on my other, with
    the exact same operating system the task manager doesn't have that
    menu choice. Since one of my computers is a laptop with no top, or no
    monitor as it were, I use remote desktop to connect to it and also use
    remote desktop to make changes and then restart.

    But from the system without the option to shutdown or restart in the
    task manager I cannot do that. I have to hit the power button to make
    it shutdown. But I'd like to make it so I can use it's task manager to
    do that instead. Like I do for my other laptop that does have a
    top(monitor).

    I thought maybe a group policy setting had been changed when I
    installed my wireless USB cards drivers. But I cannot seem to locate
    any setting that would seem to limit it that's been activated.

    OH, before I installed the driver for the USB wireless stick I could
    use task manager to shut down and/or restart this very same topless
    laptop. So I know it can do so. It just seems that the drivers somehow
    changed that particular setting.

    Does anyone know how I can get the Shutdown menu item back on that
    task manager?

    Kyote, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Ok, I'm an idiot. This particular laptop simply moved the option to
    shutdown to a 'security' link on the start menu. It does what I need
    to the issue is resolved.

    Kyote, Jan 15, 2008