Missing plugin

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dave Kolars, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Dave Kolars

    Dave Kolars Guest

    Using Win XP Home SP1, FF 1.0.4 -- I have installed the Quick Time player
    (K-Lite Codec Pack) and it will work for some things, but very often when I
    open a web page, I'll get the error message "Additional plugins are required
    to display all the media on this page"... When I click to install the
    missing plug-in, it's ALWAYS Quick Time... And, the "Available Plugin" is
    Apple Quicktime 6.5.1... If I click on the "Next" button, FF tells me that
    it's not available, and when I click on the "Manual Install" button, I'm
    taken to the Apple Quicktime page that tells me that version is not
    available anymore.

    I tried installing Quicktime 6.5.2, but the K-Lite Codec Pack version
    maintains control... Plus, I don't WANT i-Tunes, so the newest version from
    Apple gives me all kinds of garp that is not needed!!

    How can I set FF to recognize that the plug-in exists and point it to the
    sub-directory where it is?

    TIA
    DK

    Dave Kolars, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Dave Kolars

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dave Kolars wrote:
    > Using Win XP Home SP1, FF 1.0.4 -- I have installed the Quick Time player
    > (K-Lite Codec Pack) and it will work for some things, but very often when I
    > open a web page, I'll get the error message "Additional plugins are required
    > to display all the media on this page"... When I click to install the
    > missing plug-in, it's ALWAYS Quick Time... And, the "Available Plugin" is
    > Apple Quicktime 6.5.1... If I click on the "Next" button, FF tells me that
    > it's not available, and when I click on the "Manual Install" button, I'm
    > taken to the Apple Quicktime page that tells me that version is not
    > available anymore.
    >
    > I tried installing Quicktime 6.5.2, but the K-Lite Codec Pack version
    > maintains control... Plus, I don't WANT i-Tunes, so the newest version from
    > Apple gives me all kinds of garp that is not needed!!
    >
    > How can I set FF to recognize that the plug-in exists and point it to the
    > sub-directory where it is?
    >
    > TIA
    > DK

    Please provide a url where you experience this behaviour

    Moz Champion, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Dave Kolars

    Dave Kolars Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Kolars wrote:
    > > Using Win XP Home SP1, FF 1.0.4 -- I have installed the Quick Time

    player
    > > (K-Lite Codec Pack) and it will work for some things, but very often

    when I
    > > open a web page, I'll get the error message "Additional plugins are

    required
    > > to display all the media on this page"... When I click to install the
    > > missing plug-in, it's ALWAYS Quick Time... And, the "Available Plugin"

    is
    > > Apple Quicktime 6.5.1... If I click on the "Next" button, FF tells me

    that
    > > it's not available, and when I click on the "Manual Install" button, I'm
    > > taken to the Apple Quicktime page that tells me that version is not
    > > available anymore.
    > >
    > > I tried installing Quicktime 6.5.2, but the K-Lite Codec Pack version
    > > maintains control... Plus, I don't WANT i-Tunes, so the newest version

    from
    > > Apple gives me all kinds of garp that is not needed!!
    > >
    > > How can I set FF to recognize that the plug-in exists and point it to

    the
    > > sub-directory where it is?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > DK
    > >

    > Please provide a url where you experience this behaviour

    Gladly! Here's a couple... the first link will not work in any browser (!)
    as in IE it says I need a Tiff viewer program using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4
    (G4) compression. FF says I need Apple Quick Time 6.5.1!!
    http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/indexpage.pl?http://www.todayinsci.com/7/7_07.htm

    This link works in IE, with sound... works in Opera, but with no sound...
    FF says I need QT 6.5.1...
    http://d93.k12.id.us/~tech/smile.html

    Have a conflict with Mozilla and Netscape both wanting to use Download
    Accelerator Pro, but I've removed it from my machine, and Moz and NS can't
    figure that out, so am unable to open those pages in those two browsers...
    Thanks! DK

    Dave Kolars, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Dave Kolars

    Nobody Guest

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:43:36 -0500, "Dave Kolars" <>
    wrote:

    >"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave Kolars wrote:
    >> > Using Win XP Home SP1, FF 1.0.4 -- I have installed the Quick Time

    >player
    >> > (K-Lite Codec Pack) and it will work for some things, but very often

    >when I
    >> > open a web page, I'll get the error message "Additional plugins are

    >required
    >> > to display all the media on this page"... When I click to install the
    >> > missing plug-in, it's ALWAYS Quick Time... And, the "Available Plugin"

    >is
    >> > Apple Quicktime 6.5.1... If I click on the "Next" button, FF tells me

    >that
    >> > it's not available, and when I click on the "Manual Install" button, I'm
    >> > taken to the Apple Quicktime page that tells me that version is not
    >> > available anymore.
    >> >
    >> > I tried installing Quicktime 6.5.2, but the K-Lite Codec Pack version
    >> > maintains control... Plus, I don't WANT i-Tunes, so the newest version

    >from
    >> > Apple gives me all kinds of garp that is not needed!!
    >> >
    >> > How can I set FF to recognize that the plug-in exists and point it to

    >the
    >> > sub-directory where it is?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > DK
    >> >

    >> Please provide a url where you experience this behaviour

    >Gladly! Here's a couple... the first link will not work in any browser (!)
    >as in IE it says I need a Tiff viewer program using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4
    >(G4) compression. FF says I need Apple Quick Time 6.5.1!!
    >http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/indexpage.pl?http://www.todayinsci.com/7/7_07.htm

    This one works fine for me.... WinXP Home Ed SP2... in both Moz Suite
    1.7.8 and Opera v8.0

    >This link works in IE, with sound... works in Opera, but with no sound...
    >FF says I need QT 6.5.1...
    > http://d93.k12.id.us/~tech/smile.html

    This one generates the audio only in Moz 1.7.8, but the "dancing
    graphic" appears in Opera v8.0 but without the audio.

    It's interesting that the second link launches aniother site for the
    item:

    http://www.omdenbrode.nl/smile/smile.html

    Nobody, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Dave Kolars

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nobody wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:43:36 -0500, "Dave Kolars" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>player

    >>when I

    >>required

    >>is

    >>that

    >>from

    >>the

    >>>Please provide a url where you experience this behaviour

    >>Gladly! Here's a couple... the first link will not work in any browser (!)
    >>as in IE it says I need a Tiff viewer program using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4
    >>(G4) compression. FF says I need Apple Quick Time 6.5.1!!
    >>http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/indexpage.pl?http://www.todayinsci.com/7/7_07.htm

    > This one works fine for me.... WinXP Home Ed SP2... in both Moz Suite
    > 1.7.8 and Opera v8.0
    >
    >>This link works in IE, with sound... works in Opera, but with no sound...
    >>FF says I need QT 6.5.1...
    >>http://d93.k12.id.us/~tech/smile.html

    > This one generates the audio only in Moz 1.7.8, but the "dancing
    > graphic" appears in Opera v8.0 but without the audio.
    >
    > It's interesting that the second link launches aniother site for the
    > item:
    >
    > http://www.omdenbrode.nl/smile/smile.html
    >

    >>Have a conflict with Mozilla and Netscape both wanting to use Download
    >>Accelerator Pro, but I've removed it from my machine, and Moz and NS can't
    >>figure that out, so am unable to open those pages in those two browsers...
    >>Thanks! DK

    First link, couldnt find where a plug in was required. Page displays fine

    Second link, got the audio version alone (no image tho)

    In the first case is your QT enabled for tiff?

    Moz Champion, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Dave Kolars

    > Nobody wrote:
    > > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:43:36 -0500, "Dave Kolars" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    > >>player

    > >>when I

    > >>required

    Plugin"

    > >>is

    > >>that

    I'm

    > >>from

    > >>the

    > >>Gladly! Here's a couple... the first link will not work in any browser

    (!)
    > >>as in IE it says I need a Tiff viewer program using ITU T.6 or CCITT

    Group 4
    > >>(G4) compression. FF says I need Apple Quick Time 6.5.1!!

    >>http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/indexpage.pl?http://www.todayinsci.com/7

    /7_07.htm

    > > This one works fine for me.... WinXP Home Ed SP2... in both Moz Suite
    > > 1.7.8 and Opera v8.0
    > >
    > >>This link works in IE, with sound... works in Opera, but with no

    sound...
    > >>FF says I need QT 6.5.1...
    > >>http://d93.k12.id.us/~tech/smile.html

    > > This one generates the audio only in Moz 1.7.8, but the "dancing
    > > graphic" appears in Opera v8.0 but without the audio.
    > >
    > > It's interesting that the second link launches aniother site for the
    > > item:
    > >
    > > http://www.omdenbrode.nl/smile/smile.html
    > >

    > >>Have a conflict with Mozilla and Netscape both wanting to use Download
    > >>Accelerator Pro, but I've removed it from my machine, and Moz and NS

    can't
    > >>figure that out, so am unable to open those pages in those two

    browsers...
    > >>Thanks! DK
    > >>

    > First link, couldnt find where a plug in was required. Page displays fine

    The page displays, but I needed the plug-in to be able to view the patent
    for the Phillips Screw

    > Second link, got the audio version alone (no image tho)

    Can't check this anymore, site is shut down due to high traffic...

    > In the first case is your QT enabled for tiff?

    No, it wasn't, I did that, and now I can view the patents! Thank you...
    However, even tho' the .aiff file association is checked, FF can't play
    this:
    http://www.wpatton.com/pages/jitterbug.html

    Wants to install the missing plugin, still, and it's still version 5.6.1
    that it's looking for. DK

    Dave Kolars, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Dave Kolars

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dave Kolars wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nobody wrote:

    > Plugin"

    > I'm

    > (!)

    > Group 4

    >>>http://www.todayinsci.com/cgi-bin/indexpage.pl?http://www.todayinsci.com/7

    > /7_07.htm
    >

    >>>This one works fine for me.... WinXP Home Ed SP2... in both Moz Suite
    >>>1.7.8 and Opera v8.0

    > sound...

    >>>This one generates the audio only in Moz 1.7.8, but the "dancing
    >>>graphic" appears in Opera v8.0 but without the audio.
    >>>
    >>>It's interesting that the second link launches aniother site for the
    >>>item:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.omdenbrode.nl/smile/smile.html

    > can't

    > browsers...

    >>First link, couldnt find where a plug in was required. Page displays fine

    > The page displays, but I needed the plug-in to be able to view the patent
    > for the Phillips Screw
    >

    >>Second link, got the audio version alone (no image tho)

    > Can't check this anymore, site is shut down due to high traffic...
    >

    >>In the first case is your QT enabled for tiff?

    > No, it wasn't, I did that, and now I can view the patents! Thank you...
    > However, even tho' the .aiff file association is checked, FF can't play
    > this:
    > http://www.wpatton.com/pages/jitterbug.html
    >
    > Wants to install the missing plugin, still, and it's still version 5.6.1
    > that it's looking for. DK

    Okay, tiff problem resolved from your comments.

    aiff plays fine here using Quicktime

    Moz Champion, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Dave Kolars

    Dave Kolars Guest

    > >>In the first case is your QT enabled for tiff?
    > >
    > > No, it wasn't, I did that, and now I can view the patents! Thank you...
    > > However, even tho' the .aiff file association is checked, FF can't play
    > > this:
    > > http://www.wpatton.com/pages/jitterbug.html
    > >
    > > Wants to install the missing plugin, still, and it's still version 5.6.1
    > > that it's looking for. DK
    > >

    > Okay, tiff problem resolved from your comments.
    >
    > aiff plays fine here using Quicktime

    Well, I went to a page that had .aif & .aiff files... clicked on one, it
    downloaded and played using QT. Tried several, all worked. So, re-visited
    the page above, and FF says I still need the plugin!

    My "registry.dat" file in my FF sub-dir contains the paths to the QT
    program, and I changed them (after making a copy!), and it made not
    difference... FF will not download or play that .aiff file!

    And there seems to be no way to add a file type to the plug-ins box.
    Grrrr.... So, I'll just have to live with not being able to open some pages
    in FF -- BUT, just did something that I should have done earlier... the file
    will not play in Netscape 4.08, 6.23 or 7.02... also IE... also Opera 7.23
    (says I need plug-in, but doesn't know which one)... also Mozilla 1.5 (says
    I need plug in for QT). So, that page is the problem, not necessarily the
    browser.

    But, it would be nice to be able to add file types to the box and have FF
    search for valid programs!! Thanks. DK

    Dave Kolars, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Dave Kolars

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dave Kolars wrote:

    >>>No, it wasn't, I did that, and now I can view the patents! Thank you...
    >>>However, even tho' the .aiff file association is checked, FF can't play
    >>>this:
    >>>http://www.wpatton.com/pages/jitterbug.html
    >>>
    >>>Wants to install the missing plugin, still, and it's still version 5.6.1
    >>>that it's looking for. DK
    >>>

    >>Okay, tiff problem resolved from your comments.
    >>
    >>aiff plays fine here using Quicktime

    > Well, I went to a page that had .aif & .aiff files... clicked on one, it
    > downloaded and played using QT. Tried several, all worked. So, re-visited
    > the page above, and FF says I still need the plugin!
    >
    > My "registry.dat" file in my FF sub-dir contains the paths to the QT
    > program, and I changed them (after making a copy!), and it made not
    > difference... FF will not download or play that .aiff file!
    >
    > And there seems to be no way to add a file type to the plug-ins box.
    > Grrrr.... So, I'll just have to live with not being able to open some pages
    > in FF -- BUT, just did something that I should have done earlier... the file
    > will not play in Netscape 4.08, 6.23 or 7.02... also IE... also Opera 7.23
    > (says I need plug-in, but doesn't know which one)... also Mozilla 1.5 (says
    > I need plug in for QT). So, that page is the problem, not necessarily the
    > browser.
    >
    > But, it would be nice to be able to add file types to the box and have FF
    > search for valid programs!! Thanks. DK

    Can you provide the url of the page where you tested, so your results
    can be verified?

    Plugs ins are NOT added to Helper Applications.
    Mozilla products first see if the program can handle the mime type, then
    check plugins, then helper applications

    A possibility exists that the site isnt coded properly or offering the
    file with the correct mime type for Mozilla products to pass it to a
    plug in.

    Moz Champion, Jun 21, 2005