    missing or corrupt: <Windowsroot>system32ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a
    copy of the above file.' After four attempts reinstalling XP64 from scratch I
    am making no progress at solving this problem. Any suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=, Jul 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to install both the Raid drivers and Controller drivers at the F6
    request when you start the install. Make sure they are the 64-bit versions
    and the Nvidia ones (not the SI ones if you are using Nvidia raid)

    John Barnes, Jul 10, 2005

  3. You'll need to use an updated F6 driver that you load during the very first
    boot screen.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Just a Note: Bravo !!!

    To, John, Charlie, & Andre

    For your devotion to the support of this newsgroup

    Dennis
    If I left anyone else out ....Sorry

    NW Computers Staff, Jul 10, 2005
  5. Charlie,

    I get the same error, but it seems to have nothing to do with
    installation -- I installed everything fine, including the SATA drivers.

    My system:
    PATA HD, Ch 0 Master, no partitions
    PATA CDR, Ch 1 Master, XP64 CD (D:)
    SATA HD, Ch 2, XP64 installed (C:)

    When the old PATA HD is connected, XP64 boots fine. When I remove the PATA
    HD (which shouldn't matter since I deleted all the partitions), I get the
    message about ntoskrnl.exe being missing or corrupt.

    What's really strange is I installed XP64 with the PATA drive disconnected
    specifically so I'd have a clean slate and it booted fine on the SATA drive.
    Then, I reconnected the PATA drive, transferred all my data to the SATA
    drive, and disconnected the PATA one -- and found XP64 was unable to boot
    anymore. Reattaching the PATA drive "fixes" the problem.

    To make things worse, if I boot the system without the XP64 CD in the drive,
    Explorer doesn't come up when users log in -- the background paints and then
    the login seems to stop, but the system is still humming along like
    nothing's wrong. When the CD is in, I can see XP64 access it several times
    during boot and login, but I can't figure out what reason it would be doing
    so. I reported this same problem a long time ago with 1218 and hoped it'd
    be fixed in RTM.

    Stephen Sprunk, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Thank you NW Computers Staff. :)
    To everyone who participates here in the windows.64bit group, you deserve a
    big Bravo, if its one time or many times! We thank you!
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=

    John Barnes Guest

    In your case it would appear that the PATA driver was your root drive when
    you installed and contains your ntldr and ntdetect.com files which are
    necessary to boot up.
    Copy them to the new root when you disconnect the other drive and fix your
    boot.ini to reflect the new setup (Recovery console after you remove your
    PATA drive will add the necessary entries
    bootcfg /add

    John Barnes, Jul 10, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for your kind words. Christian has also been helpful, especially in
    digging up information on foreign language sites. Hope his computer arrives
    at his new location in good shape.

    John Barnes, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Actually, this has been a pretty good group so far, and I'm hopeful we can
    keep it that way. We've (mostly) avoided the CPU flame wars, and only a few
    times have we let ourselves lose our patience. But it's not any two or three
    people who are critical here --- it takes all of us, jumping in when we can,
    and being here to help. We each have a different style and a different
    expertise, and all have something to contribute.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Dang, how could we forget Christian, a big, big, big Bravo to Christian!
    He's working the the windows 64bit french groups real good. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  11. Hi Guys, and thank you very much for all those who contributed. However I
    must inform you that I did install the raid drivers at the F6 request at the
    start of the XP64 install before the format commenced so this doesn't seem to
    be the answer. However, to provide a bit more history... on the original
    set-up I discovered one of the data connectors to one of the mirrored raid
    HDD's was faulty so had a persistent problem of boot failure which at the
    time was simply solved by a wiggle of the SATA cable to the offending HDD.
    While this solution did flash up an 'unheathy' raid configuration error on
    boot up XP64 seemed to work perfectly when it did boot. In an attempt to
    solve this relatively simple problem I purchased another identical HDD and
    decided to start the whole install process from scratch. Needless to say but
    the Raid configuration is now 'heathy' but the new problem of 'missing or
    corupt ntoskrnl.exe' has materialised. Additional information is that I
    didn't partion the HDD during the install process. I look forard to more
    comments and thanks again for the help so far.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=, Jul 11, 2005
  12. I am having the exact same problem. I have a DFI nf4 SLI-DR motherboard and I
    am trying to install Windows XP 64-bit in a striped RAID array on them. I put
    the disk in, load the drivers for my Silicon Image RAID controller (I have a
    SATA DVD burner plugged into this, so I need this driver) and I load my
    Nvidia RAID drivers from the F6 prompt when windows starts. (I have tried
    both 6.39A English version and the 7.13 international version). Well, the
    install starts off normally, the disk is detected and formatted. Then all
    files are copied over to the disk and it even prompts me for the driver disks
    again so that it can copy them to the windows directory. But when I reboot I
    get a screen that says "Windows could not start because of a computer disk
    hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.
    Check boot path and disk hardware."

    I then booted into the recovery console and used bootcfg to redetect
    everything and I even used fixboot to try and write a new boot record. Then I
    got bootcfg to list the settings and everything looked great, but upon reboot
    nothing works. The crazy part is that even if I disable RAID and install with
    just one drive I get the same thing. But when I switch over to the Silicon
    Image controller then the install progresses as normal. I don't want to
    install with the Silicon Image controller due to lack of SATA-II support and
    piss poor performance compared to the Nvidia RAID controller. If anyone has
    any idea what the issue could be please let me know! I have messed around
    with all kinds of boot configs and disabled and reenabled controllers. I even
    disabled my IDE controller to see if they were confusing something. Nothing
    seems to work.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I have had and reported this problem since the day I installed a SATA II
    drive. I have no problem with my SATA I drives. I am not using RAID, just
    the Nvidia built in drivers.
    I have contacted my drive mfg and ASUS. Below is the response from Hitachi.
    I have contacted ASUS and they always ignore the question. Never respond
    when it is the only question and only respond to other questions when it is
    one of two, so I think they know they have a problem and don't want to admit
    it. I hope each of you will contact ASUS about the problem as it seems they
    are going to have to get Nvidia to correct their drivers. A previous
    response indicated that it is a native SATA problem and that a SATA drive
    that uses a bridge chip would work. I have my systems running fine on SATA
    I but like you am annoyed that no one is responding to the problem. It is
    obvious that Nvidia nf4 drivers are at fault at this point all that we can
    do is go thru the mobo mfg and keep hoping. It has been 6 frustrating weeks
    for me. Maybe DFI will take the matter seriously since ASUS won't up until
    now.

    I apologize for the delay in responding too you. Unfortunately, I have no
    further information at this time. The only thing I am being told is that
    the problem most likely has to do with the drivers. Because we do not
    write the drivers, there is very little we can do. However, I believe the
    feedback is being forwarded to engineers at Asus to make them aware of the
    problem. I cannot guarantee when or if a resolution will be released.

    The other problem is that we have not tested the drive with your version of
    the OS or the motherboard so we do not know how well it will perform when
    used in that setup.

    At this time, that is all the information we are able to supply. I would
    recommend keeping up to date on Driver and BIOS updates released by Asus as
    that is most likely where you will see a fix.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Hi Guys,

    I now have my machine working. The solution did appear to be to use the
    correct XP64 Nvidia drivers at the F6 prompt on the XP64 intallation. This
    does appear to have solved my origianal ntoskrnl.exe problem and the system
    not booting up. Thank you very much for all contributions.

    However, the Mirrored Raid configuration when set up before loading windows
    XP 64 seems to be degraded after the Nvidia software is installed. While 2
    separate HDD's are shown as healthy in Nvraidman the 2 raid confurations
    (unusually only showing one HDD in each) are shown as unhealthy at both
    bootup and in the Nvraidman utility. Any further suggestions will be very
    welcome.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXJC?=, Jul 24, 2005