    win 2000 pro bootable CD on one of the binary newsgroups? Which binary
    newsgroup should I go to request this?

    , Jun 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I was working on my Dell Latitude this morning, and suddenly got the
    > error:
    > "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file was missing
    > or corrupt: <windows root>system32/ntoskrnl.exe"
    > I try to use a boot disk to copy the file from the backup directory,
    > but I can't get to drive c:
    > (would you change from a: to c: by typing "c:<return> at the dos
    > prompt? It's been a while)
    >
    > I created a bootable floppy (from another computer), and it boots from
    > that. Unfortunately, the file in question is a too big to fit on a
    > floppy, so I burned it to a CD. Of course I can't boot from that
    > either because it's not bootable.
    > Is there any way to create a bootable CD, put the ntoskrnl.exe on it,
    > and copy it to the proper directory? I have to create the CD on other
    > computers running Win XP Pro, but my problem child is a win 2000 Pro.
    > Any Ideas? Is there any way I could beg someone to put an image for a
    > win 2000 pro bootable CD on one of the binary newsgroups? Which binary
    > newsgroup should I go to request this?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319011

    Use the Windows 2000 emergency repair process
    1. Start the computer by using the Windows 2000 compact disc (CD-ROM).
    2. At the Welcome to Setup menu, press R.
    3. Press R to select the emergency repair process.
    4. Press M to select Manual Repair.
    5. Press ENTER to perform the selected tasks.
    6. Follow the remaining instructions to repair the Windows 2000
    installation.

    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    On wrote:

    |>I was working on my Dell Latitude this morning, and suddenly got the
    |>error:
    |>"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file was missing
    |>or corrupt: <windows root>system32/ntoskrnl.exe"

    A lot of times this is due to the boot.ini file. The file is really
    still there the path is just wrong.

    Follow Jeroen Wijnands advice and when you get a chance repair the
    boot files.

    --

    , Jun 7, 2005